Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Vanmasters1692
Private E-1

Re: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby Vanmasters1692 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:28 pm

That last one was suppose to be #10 and just thought I should add Like A Song would be a good character theme for Ian, if anyone wants to listen to a song that has good feeling and inspiration that one by Lenka is great

corsetiere
Private E-1

RE: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby corsetiere » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:08 am

Well, considering my book is my memoir of being a 30-year old widow, I suppose the most likely candidate for this exercise would be myself.

Ode to Joy - Ludvig Von Beethoven
Sh-boom - The Chords
Hair of the Dog - Guns 'n Roses
I Was Wrong - Social Distortion
American Witch - Rob Zombie
Come Fly With Me - Frank Sinatra
In My Room - The Beach Boys
Powerful Stuff - Fabulous Thunderbirds
One Way or Another - Blondie
Big Girls Don't Cry - Four Seasons

Eternally optimistic. Long, slow fuse but a quick, smart mouth. Enlightened but still unevolved. Gaping holes in her hull, but stubbornly unsinkable. Me, me, me! Yes, it's all about me.

My fiction has always been flat. My real life, however, has always been a fricken' sports page. So, I write what I really know.

MingaMae
Private E-1

Postby MingaMae » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:18 am

In the beginning of my novel, Carly Jo, a photographer from Southern Oklahoma is heartbroken. The love of her life has cheated on her, gotten the other woman pregnant and plans on marrying the whore. I would assume Carly's ipod would be jammed full of the usual songs one might listen to when their heart has been ripped out and spat on.

1. Best I’ve Ever Had … Gary Allan
2. Songs about Rain … Gary Allan
3. Cheater, Cheater … Joey + Rory
4. Does she Love you? … Reba
5. She Wouldn’t be Gone … Blake Shelton
6. Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It … Darius Rucker
7. Last Call … Lee Ann Womack
8. Because of You … Reba / Kelly Clarkson
9. Before He Cheats … Carrie Underwood
10. Yesterday’s Rain … Gary Allan

However, later in the story she finds new love, possibly her very own Prince Charming. His name is Johnny, a bull-rider. He sweeps her off her feet and promises her the world. At this point in her life Carly's Ipod would probably look something like this. It would hold songs of love, and songs of rain. Rain happens to be Carly's favorite weather.

1. Do You Wish it Was Me? ... Jason Aldean
2. Johnny and June ... Heidi Newfield
3. Relentless ... Jason Aldean
4. Tim McGraw … Taylor Swift
5. When It rains ... Eli Young Band
6. Hicktown ... Jason Aldean
7. Already Gone ... Sugarland
8. All I wanna do ... Sugarland
9. Take me to a Rodeo … Chris Ledoux
10. Johnny Cash … Jason Aldean

Kyrie
Private E-1

Postby Kyrie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:46 pm

I just recently finished my book and I'm choosing my main character Rachel Scott.
Rachel just turned eighteen and she is an orphan. Well, former orphan. Since she just turned eighteen, her caretaker decided it was her time to get out on her own and stop MOOCHING! Rachel didn't look at it as mooching, though. She looked at it as fending for herself. Well, since the caretake basically said "Ariva Derchi!" and kicked her out on her own, she had no choice but to learn some resposibility in the real world. So, she got a job working as Garbage Girl in a bakery...how responsible can you get, right?
Well, to boil off some steam, Rachel would listen to her IPod to pass the time and drown in her own musical abyss as she sadly took out the trash...

1. Never Think - Rob Pattinson
2. I Guess You're Right - The Posies
3. Misery Business - Paramore
4. So Sick - Flyleaf
5. I'm Still Breathing - Katy Perry
6. Escape - Hoobastank
7. There for You - Flyleaf
8. Battle - Colbie Cailet
9. American Idiot - Green Day

and for the icing on the cake, the cherry on top, the tip of the ice berg...

10. Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith

Rachel Scott has a wonderful sense of humor. If you listened to Sweet Emotion while taking out the trash, you'd laugh pretty hard yourself ;)

joshuadpeterson
Private E-1

Postby joshuadpeterson » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:40 am

Kay is a 17-year-old bipolar victim whose struggle before discovering she has the disorder becomes a story lived through her diary, culminating in an attempted suicide and later recovery.

Kay's iPod playlist, if the story took place today, would look something like this:

01. Sia - Little Black Sandals
02. Patty Griffin - Peter Pan
03. Rachael Yamagata - Elephants
04. Patty Griffin - Up The Mountain (MLK Song)
05. Alison Krauss & Union Station - New Favorite
06. Annie Lennox - Love Song For A Vampire
07. Imogen Heap - Hide & Seek
08. Imogen Heap - The Walk
09. Madonna - Intervention
10. Madonna - X-Static Process

leeloo
Private E-1

Postby leeloo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 pm

My character is a 16 year old demon named Daisy who has recently grown her wings and been forced out of the only world she knew. She goes to live at a haven for demons and finds out some disturbing things about her family's history. These songs would be her iPod playlist, and are also the soundtrack of her story (in my head, anyway :).

1. Down is the New Up - Radiohead
2. Fragile - Nine Inch Nails
3. Mad World - Michael Andrews
4. I See Faces in Everything - attacks the darkness
5. Last Flowers - Radiohead
6. City of Delusion - Muse
7. Pyramid Song - Radiohead
8. Lucky - Radiohead
9. Flume - Bon Iver
10. Knights of Cydonia - Muse

Ribbons
Private E-1

Postby Ribbons » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:00 pm

One of my characters is a 28 year old woman, a middle school art teacher. She's married to a soldier who, after returning from a tour in Afghanistan, is suffering from delusions brought on by PTSD. Usually a very serene, peace-loving woman, she's confronted by the death and destruction her husband had faced for the past nine months. Absolutely head over heels for her husband, she's torn between believing him and what he saw, or getting him the help he might need.

1. Lay Your Love on Me - ABBA
2. Afraid - Nelly Furtado
3. I'm Looking Through You - The Beatles
4. Mannequin - Katy Perry
5. I feel it All - Feist
6. Breathe - Tailor Swift
7. Cry to Me - Heart
8. Call and Answer - Barenaked Ladies
9. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
10. The Planets Bend Between Us - Snow Patrol

Nora Grace
Private First Class

Postby Nora Grace » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:31 pm

I had considered writing a autobiography, so these would be mine:

(1) You Found Me~Kelly Clarkson
(2) Gone~Kelly Clarkson
(3) Behind these Hazel Eyes~Kelly Clarkson
(4) Breakaway~Kelly Carkson
(5) I Hate Myself for losing You~Kelly Clarkson
(6) Hear Me~Kelly Clarkson
(7) Because of You~Kelly Clarkson
(8) Love Song~umm, can't remember
(9) This is Just a Dream~Carrie Underwood
(10) Before He Cheats~Carrie Underwood

Okay, so I'm a Carrie and Kelly girl!! I can't help it if their songs fit to my life!!

Min-Min
Private E-1

Postby Min-Min » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:15 pm

When Michael was taken into government custody, he was asked to surrender all electronic devices on his person, in case one of them was a bomb. (We couldn't put anything past him.)

Well, as it turned out, there was a bomb, but it wasn't the iPod, so let's have a look at his playlist.

1. I Can't Decide - The Scissor Sisters
2. Fighting - Yellowcard
3. Cat And Mouse - Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
4. Once In A Lifetime - Dragonforce
5. I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs
6. That's What You Get - Paramore
7. Pulp Song - Stellastarr*
8. A Million Reasons - Stellastarr*
9. Somewhere Across Forever - Stellastarr*
10. This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race - Fallout Boy

Roguefool
Private E-1

Postby Roguefool » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Shafter stepped over the piece of flesh that was once Pastor Lawrence, blood pooled from the bullet wound from the dead mans throat. Shafter needed a break; he had been up three nights ridding through the wastes of Ameri; the girl was alive, the monster dead. He needed to lie down; most of the building was packed with filth and clutter. Items salvaged from the empty houses in the neighborhood. It was a labyrinth of junk. With each step Shafter expected to find some thing more gruesome; like maybe a whole menagerie of disembodied parts. The maze abruptly ended at a solid wooden door. He didn’t hesitate on opening it, but before the door was fully opened Shafter shut his eyes to what horrors the room may have held inside. After opening his eyes, Shafter found that the room was immaculately clean and well lit. He walked to the bed that was in the room and he laid down on it. Shafter was finally relaxed.
In the act of getting that one right position for sleep, Shafter noticed on the night stand a rust covered I-pod. “Thank God” Shafter thought, “music.” Music storage devices had become invaluable and precious in the times that followed the crash of the world. Shafter loved collecting music, he found music to be very comforting, even soothing. Shafter believed, you could tell who a person was by the type of music they listened to. He placed the ear buds into his ears. As Shafter moved his thumb across the I-pods click wheel, and found that the rust color pealed off. The rust color wasn’t color at all, it was dried blood. The screen flashed to life; the ten songs of Pastor Lawrence dark soul came to life for Shafter, and Pastor Lawrence had left notes for each song.

1: Effervescing Elephant-Syd Barrett
(Little slices to the eyes.)

2: Beautiful people-Marlyn Manson
(Cut the fat off, this piggy wants roast beef.)

3: I feel pretty-Westside Story
(Daddy likes to wear chiffon dresses and silk stocking.)

4: Take your mama out-Scissor Sisters
(I miss you cotton candy king.)

5: Sex Dwarf-Soft Cell
(Make ‘em cry, really loud.)

6: Laisse Tomber Les Filles-France Gall
(Don’t forget to drug them buddy, they’ll lives longer.)

7: Filthy Gorgeous-Scissor Sisters
(Cut finger tips off, they like that.)

8: Tiptoe through the tulips-Tiny Tim
(Please don’t kill them Pastor, We beg you.)

9: Love You-Syd Barrett
(It’s time to gut the living kill.)

10: Beethoven’s Ninth symphony
(Cry, Pastor, Cry Pastor, the circus has gone.)

As the last song ended, Shafter arose from the bed.
He soon stood over Pastor Lawrence dead body, and then out of shear anger he put two more bullets into the cadaver. Shafter picked up the sleeping girl, and walked out of the house. “I was promised hell when I died, I’m not dead, and that ain’t hell” Shafter Wasco thought, with a worried smirk.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges