Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:12 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:12 am

Take a character from one of your stories and examine his or her ipod playlist. What 10 songs best describe the character?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

BingoBill
Private E-1

RE: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby BingoBill » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:58 am

My character is from an as yet unfinished short story; Sergeant Halberd, a member of the national Guard on his second tour of Iraq who is burned out from his experiences and suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder related to the death of squad mates during his first tour. Halberd was a high school teacher who despairs of returning home and watching his marriage crumble and resuming a life which has little meaning. Depressed, angry and confused as to his life’s direction, he escapes at times into music and listens to an eclectic mix which is reminiscent of his youth and reflects his current moods.
On His IPod there are ten songs of varying importance.
1. The Beatles, ‘Within You Without You”
2. Iron Butterfly ,’Inagaddadavida’
3. Prince, ‘1999’.
4. Nine Inch Nails,’ Hurt’.
5. Katy Perry, ‘I kissed a Girl’.
6. The Doors,’ the End’.
7. The Clash, ‘Rock the Kasbah’.
8. REM, ‘It’s the End of the World as We Know It’.
9. Depeche Mode, ‘Personal Jesus’
10. Charlie Daniel’s Band, ‘The Devil went Down to Georgia’.

XintricKim
Major

Postby XintricKim » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Oooh this looks fun.  I have only finished one book (and sadly the latest version of the book was lost when my computer crashed, so now I am back down to 55 pages) so I will go with one of the characters from this book.  The characters are 7, 11, and 13, and none of them would have an ipod.  Once I burnt a CD of songs to sort of be a "sound track" to go along with my book for fun, though! (I did not base the book on the songs, but picked songs that I thought would go with my book and imagined it had been made into a movie.  Yeah, big fantasies.)  I will pick out 10 songs that describe the oldest character, Ashley Barker.

1.  "Hold on if you feel like letting go."  Simple Plan

2.  "Run Like Hell"  Pink Floyd

3.   "Where is the love?"  Black-Eyed Peas

4.  "Indestructible"  Disturbed

5.  "Somewhere Out There"  I forget who sings it.  I know there's a version on a cartoon movie called An American Tale, though. 

6.  "Gotta Be Somebody"  Nickelback

7.  "So What" Pink

8.  "My Immortal" Evanescence

9.  "Like  You" Evanescence

10.  "Wish You Were Here" Pink Floyd

XintricKim
Major

Postby XintricKim » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

That was fun, I wanna do it again.  Here goes:  Dayna Webster, age 11. (She turns 12 half-way through the story.)

1.  "Let Me Be Myself"  Three Doors Down

2.  "They Can't Take that Away From Me"  Mariah Carey

3.  "Because of You" Kelly Clarkson

4.  "Concrete Angel"  Martina McBride

5.  "Fighter" Christina Aquilera

6.  "I'm Not Jesus"  Apocolyptica

7.  "Second Chance"  Shinedown

8.  "Fade"  Staind

9.  "Chasing Pavements"  Adele

10.  "Until the End"  Breaking Benjamin 

rjdavis
Private E-1

Re: Character Playlist 1/20-1/26

Postby rjdavis » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Peter Cooke, anti-hero dropped his iPod in my coat pocket when I lingered too close to my laptop computer. There were 10 songs on the little device. Only ten. They were:

1. “Rhapsody in Blue” by Gershwin, played by Dudley Moore
2. “Best of You” by Foo Fighters
3. “Nobody left to run with” by The Allman Brothers Band
4. “When the Levee Breaks” by Led Zepellin
5. “Live and Let Die” by Paul McCartney and the Wings
6. “Barcarolle” as performed by Andre Rieu
7. “My Way” performed by Frank Sinatra
8. “You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morrissette
9. “Take the Money and Run” by Steve Miller Band
10. “Detachable Penis” by King Missle

Mr. Cooke is existing in extra-lawful tangents and he loves to Take the Money and Run. However, he is certainly running from more than just the law and he needs some down time with tunes like #6. That song actually delivers Mr. Cooke into a semi-catatonic state where he will linger until the last note fades away. “Rhapsody,” specifically, the rendition by Dudley Moore tells me that Mr. Cooke digs deep when making important decisions. He doesn’t like being taken advantage of, as he clearly explains with #2 and #4 laments that he is alone in his journey. When he is blue, he sings along with #4 and feels like nothing he will ever experience equals the devastation invoked by that song. With #5, he reminds himself that a life without rules and/or consequences exists only in James Bond movies except for his sex life with his wife (save the drama) of #8. Because I write his existence, I know that he always does things My Way. That leaves us with #10. It is the sum total of Mr. Cooke’s life, boiled down and crudely expressed.

bparker
Private E-1

Postby bparker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:58 am

My character is me, I'm writing cop memoirs:
It's 10 AM, just got off at 3, but if I get myself outta bed it's all downhill from there. I keep getting older, and slower, but the bad guys remain eighteen. Where's my IPOD? Wiping the sleep from my eyes I drive to the gym. I'm going to need some inspiration for the next two tortorous hours-
1. Dirt of your shoulders by Jay Z
2. Kanye's Work Out Plan by Kanye West
3. Whoa! by Black Rob (These songs push me and help me get inside my competition's head. I crank up the volume so I don't hear myself wheeze)

4. What Goes Around and Cry Me a River by Justin Timberlake (Because anger and jeaslousy fuel untapped energy resources)
5. That's the way love goes by Janet Jackson
6. FWB by Wayne Brady (Time to start cooling down)

Walking out of the gym and back to the house to write:
7. Already In by Jon McLaughlin
8. I can't make you love me by Bonnie Raitt ( Helps me tranform from animal rage to introspective thinker)

Sitting down to the keyboard, looking for inspiration:
9. Addagio for Strings by the London Symphony Orchestra
10. Call of the Champions by John Williams

A good day is when the words come easy and flow from the recesses of my imagination. They fit together, like puzzle pieces, weaving a word picture that needs no further explanation.
Almost 4Pm, time to put on my game face and wade in the cruelty and hatred once again, but be brave. Tonight will lend itself to more unthinkable stories tomorrow, and my keyboard awaits my return.

TheProdigy2010
Private E-2

Postby TheProdigy2010 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:17 pm

This character- whom which I'm examining her iPod- is a 14-year-old girl named Sophia Walker. She was in a 17-page short story I wrote last spring about how she wanted to commit suicide. When it comes to her iPod, this is her top 10 (in no specific order):

1. "Help!"- The Beatles
2. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"- The Beatles
3. "Revolution"- The Beatles
4. "Because"- The Beatles
5. "S.O.S."- Jonas Brothers
6. "Burnin' Up"- Jonas Brothers
7. "Defying Gravity"- from the musical "Wicked"
8. "Popular"- from the musical "Wicked"
9. "One Song Glory"- from the musical "RENT"
10. "La Vie Boheme"- from the musical "RENT"

Rowena
Private E-1

Postby Rowena » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:44 pm

This character is from a fantasy/romance/inspirational story I'm writing. I am planning to publish so I don't want to give too much away, but her name is Cassidy. She has been in a rather lonely situation for a while when she unexpectedly meets someone who completely surprises and inspires her, though he is in an extraordinary situation himself. She finds herself confronted with the prospect of them being seperated and it is beyond their control.
1.Boston - Augustana
2. Anywhere - Evanescence
3. My Immortal - Evanescence
4. Then You Look At Me - Celine Dion
5. Viva la Vida - Coldplay
6. End of Innocence - Don Henley
7. Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby
8. Look After You - The Fray
9. Ever the Same - Rob Thomas
10. Shattered - OAR

Vanmasters1692
Private E-1

Postby Vanmasters1692 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:26 pm

I have two main characters that are brothers, I'm self published and copyrighted so I guess I can divulge a little. The older brother is named Seth he's always been the favorite of the dad and despite his own mental problems brought on by the loss of his mother he's surviving better than his younger brother. Ian, who is the younger brother is quite the opposite he's been abused by his dad his whole life and is literally an outlit to his family because of the loss of thier mom. But yes, Ian finds a woman he can rely on, how could he not? Haha before I go too far here is Ian's play list
1. Spun Sugar - Beth Waters
2. Dig - Incubus
3. Loser - Three Doors Down
4. Stay Still - Kelly Clarkson
5. Haunted - Evanescence
6. Breathe - Sia
7. Like A Song - Lenka
8. Cardboard Ladders - Charlotte Martin
9. Thoughtless - Korn
20. We Are Broken - Paramore

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges