First Album 2/10-2/16

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
writesailor
Private E-1

Re: First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby writesailor » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:48 am

Trying2Write - I actually caught my 16 year old son singing along to a song on one of my Blues albums a while back. I said, "Jay, you know the words? That's cool!"
He replied, looking completely embarrassed, "Come on Mom, we all know the words to all that junk you listen to. It's not like we had a choice when you play it ALL THE TIME!"

But hey - Although I have my flaws as a mother, at least they've been exposed to a wide range of music!

bruak
Private E-1

RE: First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby bruak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:43 am

I had just started high school when Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells a Story" was released. The juke box at Mario's Pizza offered "Maggie May" and "Reason to Believe" on the B side. I fell in love with those songs. I eventually bought the album at Sam's Food Store for around five dollars. Sam also sold a few eight track tapes, some of them bootlegged.

One summer afternoon after rocking out to Rod and the boys, I went downstairs to raid the ice box and caught mom at the kitchen sink singing the words, "or steal my daddy's que and make a livin' outta playing pool."
It stopped me in my tracks. I was stunned for a moment. She stopped, turned and said something. I don't remember what it was, but I clearly recall the feeling I had and thinking, "Wow, mom was singing Maggie May. Maybe she's not weird after all."

In those few moments my mom and I became closer and whenever I hear a song from that album I think of her.

Mom's approaching eighty now and when her time comes I'm going to make sure that song is played. No one will understand and I may never explain it to them, but in that moment I will feel that closeness again.

Thanks Mr Stewart.

bruak
Private E-1

Postby bruak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:43 am

I had just started high school when Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells a Story" was released. The juke box at Mario's Pizza offered "Maggie May" and "Reason to Believe" on the B side. I fell in love with those songs. I eventually bought the album at Sam's Food Store for around five dollars. Sam also sold a few eight track tapes, some of them bootlegged.

One summer afternoon after rocking out to Rod and the boys, I went downstairs to raid the ice box and caught mom at the kitchen sink singing the words, "or steal my daddy's que and make a livin' outta playing pool."
It stopped me in my tracks. I was stunned for a moment. She stopped, turned and said something. I don't remember what it was, but I clearly recall the feeling I had and thinking, "Wow, mom was singing Maggie May. Maybe she's not weird after all."

In those few moments my mom and I became closer and whenever I hear a song from that album I think of her.

Mom's approaching eighty now and when her time comes I'm going to make sure that song is played. No one will understand and I may never explain it to them, but in that moment I will feel that closeness again.

Thanks Mr Stewart.

mnlee
Private E-1

Postby mnlee » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 pm

The first album I can remember buying was Madonna's, "Like a Virgin". Wow, did that cause a lot of ruckus at school! I bought the album from a friend who initially was going to give it to me free and then decided to charge me a dollar for it because she found out I had lunch money on me (she was not a very nice girl, but I did get it for a buck!). Now, you have to remember that I was only in third grade at the time so no one actually knew what a virgin was. Well, as soon as the boys found out (somehow they figured it out first), they would walk around saying "You must be a virgin" in a condescending tone. The first few of us who were hit up with the comment would naturally whine "I AM NOT", thinking that it was degrading term! Then the boys would hoot and holler, laughing hysterically.

So, how did the album make me feel, you ask? Apparently, it made me feel like a third grade slut!

mnlee
Private E-1

Postby mnlee » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 pm

The first album I can remember buying was Madonna's, "Like a Virgin". Wow, did that cause a lot of ruckus at school! I bought the album from a friend who initially was going to give it to me free and then decided to charge me a dollar for it because she found out I had lunch money on me (she was not a very nice girl, but I did get it for a buck!). Now, you have to remember that I was only in third grade at the time so no one actually knew what a virgin was. Well, as soon as the boys found out (somehow they figured it out first), they would walk around saying "You must be a virgin" in a condescending tone. The first few of us who were hit up with the comment would naturally whine "I AM NOT", thinking that it was degrading term! Then the boys would hoot and holler, laughing hysterically.

So, how did the album make me feel, you ask? Apparently, it made me feel like a third grade slut!

LynBergeson
Private E-1

Postby LynBergeson » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:48 pm

I turned 16 at the beginning of 1980. Since I had a part time job, I was able to afford necessary things like make up, gas for my car, and concert tickets. For weeks I planned that on my 16th birthday I would do something really cool and independent. When that day came I bought and smuggled home in my backpack three things: rolling papers, a quarter ounce of smoke and the new AC DC album "Back in Black". (Keep in mind that I had been saving up for a long, long time!) That was the first record I purchased myself (so were the other two items..) I didn't race home and up the stairs to my room to slap the thing on the turntable. Oh no. I waited until everyone went to bed and at around 11 or so, put that record on and began rolling ill-shapen joints. I felt like I was in some kind of learning lab, honing my skills as a pot-head and music lover. I can't even tell you how amazing the album was from the start. At the time, I'd never heard of the first song, "Hells Bells". What's even better is that it's the first song on the album! Being 16, and full of fire and hormones, it was a moment where I was mostly likely not to get caught while having naughty fun. In my teenage lifetime, I think I only had two of these moments! I was having a night of private discovery.

Okay, so I stayed up and listened to the album twice that night, really quietly. Makes no sense, I know. For AC DC must be played loud to be enjoyed, but I couldnt have anyone waking up and walking in on the operation I performed in half of a J C Penney's shirt box.

After that, I was so hooked on the album, so I bought the tape. This was a good idea because I listened to it on a tape recorder in the back of a school bus during a weekend high school choir trip.

I associate the album with the highlights of my misspent youth: getting caught/grounded/laid/high, and my first boyfriend...the one from down the street. (And don't you know, the ones from the neighborhood are always the best.) I associate the album with the road trip my best friend and I took to the Oregon Coast one Saturday, and that one we took two years later to Pine Hollow Reservoir. I associate it with being in my prime, losing some innocence, having broader boundaries, riding effortlessly on top of the wave and in the sun, having something called feminine wiles, and braces.

I still hear that album from time to time. Nothing has changed in my memory. While I am years away from the era I can still feel it, KNOWING that everything about me is different on the outside. But inside, I am hot, wild, frivolous, silly and stoned to the core.

LynBergeson
Private E-1

Postby LynBergeson » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:48 pm

I turned 16 at the beginning of 1980. Since I had a part time job, I was able to afford necessary things like make up, gas for my car, and concert tickets. For weeks I planned that on my 16th birthday I would do something really cool and independent. When that day came I bought and smuggled home in my backpack three things: rolling papers, a quarter ounce of smoke and the new AC DC album "Back in Black". (Keep in mind that I had been saving up for a long, long time!) That was the first record I purchased myself (so were the other two items..) I didn't race home and up the stairs to my room to slap the thing on the turntable. Oh no. I waited until everyone went to bed and at around 11 or so, put that record on and began rolling ill-shapen joints. I felt like I was in some kind of learning lab, honing my skills as a pot-head and music lover. I can't even tell you how amazing the album was from the start. At the time, I'd never heard of the first song, "Hells Bells". What's even better is that it's the first song on the album! Being 16, and full of fire and hormones, it was a moment where I was mostly likely not to get caught while having naughty fun. In my teenage lifetime, I think I only had two of these moments! I was having a night of private discovery.

Okay, so I stayed up and listened to the album twice that night, really quietly. Makes no sense, I know. For AC DC must be played loud to be enjoyed, but I couldnt have anyone waking up and walking in on the operation I performed in half of a J C Penney's shirt box.

After that, I was so hooked on the album, so I bought the tape. This was a good idea because I listened to it on a tape recorder in the back of a school bus during a weekend high school choir trip.

I associate the album with the highlights of my misspent youth: getting caught/grounded/laid/high, and my first boyfriend...the one from down the street. (And don't you know, the ones from the neighborhood are always the best.) I associate the album with the road trip my best friend and I took to the Oregon Coast one Saturday, and that one we took two years later to Pine Hollow Reservoir. I associate it with being in my prime, losing some innocence, having broader boundaries, riding effortlessly on top of the wave and in the sun, having something called feminine wiles, and braces.

I still hear that album from time to time. Nothing has changed in my memory. While I am years away from the era I can still feel it, KNOWING that everything about me is different on the outside. But inside, I am hot, wild, frivolous, silly and stoned to the core.

LynBergeson
Private E-1

Postby LynBergeson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:01 am

huh, that's interesting to me. maggie may is like a filling in my molar, so part of my whole life and usually the parts that were horrible but still okay with me all the same...i think i've known that song by heart since it came out when i was 8 years old. peace.

LynBergeson
Private E-1

Postby LynBergeson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:01 am

huh, that's interesting to me. maggie may is like a filling in my molar, so part of my whole life and usually the parts that were horrible but still okay with me all the same...i think i've known that song by heart since it came out when i was 8 years old. peace.

dryersheet
Private E-1

Re: First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby dryersheet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:49 pm

I joined the game late - I think I was in 8th grade. I remember the first CD I owned because I remember having to admit to my drum teacher that I only owned one CD. She asked, "What kind of music do you listen to? You must own CDs." I corrected her, telling her that I owned a single CD. And that it was Metallica - Metallica, otherwise known as "The Black Album." It was an inauspicious beginning, given that Metallica wasn't, and still isn't, the brand of cool that any kid should seek to align himself with. Especially a darkish, nerdy kid who has trouble relating to the kinds of kids who make easy references to reality shows on MTV and wear T-shirts with logos on them and such. For me, it was the beginning of an even darker and nerdier chapter. Because I only expanded my collection by about one CD a year, my listening was almost perversely obsessive. Ask me to recite any lyric from any song from Metallica - Metallica today, nearly twenty years after the album's release, and I will do so with sad, pathetic accuracy. I would wander down the halls chanting the lyrics to myself, scrawling them in the margins of spelling tests. And for some reason, I was confused when my bevy of sympathizers did not grow. All in all, my decade long affair with Metallica (that Napster business really took the magic out of the relationship) served one standout purpose (aside from indelibly sullying my musical tastes): it helped me grow accustomed to being an outsider. Don't get me wrong, I was dorky enough to be an outsider without the metal, but because I had something to uphold, something that was grating and repulsive to others but beautiful and personal to me, I somehow felt as if my solitude had meaning. It made me feel as if they were the outsiders, and I was the sole insider, the only kid in a tiny town of 6,000 who appreciated incessant palm muting and double bass and terrible, terrible lyrics about turning into a werewolf. It was like a religion to me.

On another note: Hi! I just found this site when Googling. And I think I'll hang out for a spell.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges