First Album 2/10-2/16

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
josmel117
Private E-1

RE: First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby josmel117 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:57 am

Wow ... now you’re going to know just how old I really am! My first album was a 45. It was “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head” by B.J. Thomas. I was probably about 10 years old. In case you’re too young to remember ... a 45 is a smaller version of a record album. It consists of only two songs - one on each side. I believe that the flip side was another one of B.J. Thomas’ songs, “The More I See You, The More I Want You.” What can I tell you? I was 10 going on 40! Maybe that’s why I still act like a kid, because I was an adult when I was a kid. I’ll never forget how proud I was when I went to the store with my Dad and he let me pick out the album of my choice. I must have played those songs about 50 times a day. I had my record player on so many times, that we always had to replace the needle. I remember one day the needle being so worn that it scratched the record and ruined it. Of course, I cried my eyes out, but I knew that everyone in my family was cheering because they didn’t have to listen to B.J. Thomas anymore! To this day, whenever I hear those songs on the radio – which is either in an elevator, dentist’s office, or on an “oldies” station via Satellite radio, I can’t help but have the biggest smile on my face.

IrvingSherwood
Private E-1

Postby IrvingSherwood » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Throughout my short 15 year life, a large majority of music has been either inherited or stolen from the very artists I adore. Though, a few CDs stick out as the first ones I may have bought. Aqua became my favorite and only CD when I was at the mere age of 4 or 5. What a drastic change of style I have changed from. Pop continuous jargon to the soft mellow beat of Oasis, The Beatles, and other alternative rock music. Looking back on that decision for Aqua makes me want to gag at the thought of "Barbie Girl". Options were everywhere in that record shop, but the choice I made will stick with me forever as one of the worst possible decisions I have made in regards to music.

IrvingSherwood
Private E-1

Postby IrvingSherwood » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Throughout my short 15 year life, a large majority of music has been either inherited or stolen from the very artists I adore. Though, a few CDs stick out as the first ones I may have bought. Aqua became my favorite and only CD when I was at the mere age of 4 or 5. What a drastic change of style I have changed from. Pop continuous jargon to the soft mellow beat of Oasis, The Beatles, and other alternative rock music. Looking back on that decision for Aqua makes me want to gag at the thought of "Barbie Girl". Options were everywhere in that record shop, but the choice I made will stick with me forever as one of the worst possible decisions I have made in regards to music.

drobe97
Private E-1

Postby drobe97 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:55 am

The first album i purchased was Jay-Z's The Blueprint. The album made me feel that I had bought the best cd in the store the lyrics where hardcore and there were great methaphores. I also felt cool that I had bought a parental advisory cd with no parent I was so frantic that I didn't want to hear eany of the songs on the radio. The album made me feel like I could do anything in the world maybe even come out with my own album.

Trissa
Private E-2

Re: First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby Trissa » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:17 am

I was in Fifth Grade when the Beatles came across the "water". I remember the night they were on "Ed Sullivan" and, yes, it WAS a really big "shew" as Ed would say.

I had money saved up from Christmas and my birthday. My mom drove me to App's Music House in beautiful downtown Burlington, Iowa. It was one of those places where you could take your records into a glassed-in booth and listen before you bought. But I didn't have to do that because I knew I had to have the album "Meet the Beatles". It featured "A Hard Day's Night", "I Want to Hold your Hand", and "This Boy". I listened to that album until the grooves were gone.

Whenever I hear one of those songs on the radio (now Nostalgia Days Brings you the 60s) I thing back to the days and nights of sitting in my room to the music. My friends would be there, we'd be drinking Coca-Cola, eating pizza that we made from a Chef Boy Ar Dee kit, and calling in requests to the local radio station, KBUR -- 1490 on your dial. Home of the Hiland Potato Chip Quiz. Or we lay out on the lawn trying to act like our older sisters. We lay there with the transistor radio tuned in to WLS in Chicago. In my memories it is always summer. It's so humid it feels like you're breathing through a wet washcloth. The windows are open, there are no screens so we lean out once in awhile and shout to passing neighbors. Sometimes a car goes by with its radio blaring.

My grandma lived with us and once in awhile she would appear at my bedroom door to talk with us. She always called my friend Cathy, "Cappy". She always started her conversations with, "How can you girls understand what they're saying?"

I think I'm turning into my grandma...

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges