First Album 2/10-2/16

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:46 am

Brian
Lieutenant

First Album 2/10-2/16

What was the first CD (or record or cassette) you ever purchased? Write about the way that particular album made you feel then. Write about how it makes you feel now.

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

Brian
Lieutenant

First Album 2/10-2/16

What was the first CD (or record or cassette) you ever purchased? Write about the way that particular album made you feel then. Write about how it makes you feel now.

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

kellythewriter
Private E-1

Re: First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby kellythewriter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:49 am

The first cassette tape I remember buying was the Backstreet Boys. I bought it at a gas station in Canada while on a road trip with my girls hockey team. I think I had to be about 15 years old. This was about 10 years ago (yeah I was still using a Walkman in 1999) and back then I thought the Backstreet Boys were awesome. I can't remember the name of the album but I can tell you I really liked the music. I think I'd still jam out to it even today. I don't think they were ever my favorite band but their early music was great. There are a lot of artists who I really liked early in their careers but not so much later on when their style changed.
I was using the Walkman nearly into the new millennium because CDs and CD players were still expensive at that time (at least to me and my family) and I don't think pirating music had really picked up a whole lot of speed yet. I was way behind the technological times. We didn't even get our first home computer until about 10 years ago either. I remember it being so exciting that we had to rotate through family members who got to use it for 20 minutes at a time. I think we got a DVD player somewhere between 2000 and 2002. Technology was so exciting even though we were way behind the more affluent families.

kellythewriter
Private E-1

Postby kellythewriter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:49 am

The first cassette tape I remember buying was the Backstreet Boys. I bought it at a gas station in Canada while on a road trip with my girls hockey team. I think I had to be about 15 years old. This was about 10 years ago (yeah I was still using a Walkman in 1999) and back then I thought the Backstreet Boys were awesome. I can't remember the name of the album but I can tell you I really liked the music. I think I'd still jam out to it even today. I don't think they were ever my favorite band but their early music was great. There are a lot of artists who I really liked early in their careers but not so much later on when their style changed.
I was using the Walkman nearly into the new millennium because CDs and CD players were still expensive at that time (at least to me and my family) and I don't think pirating music had really picked up a whole lot of speed yet. I was way behind the technological times. We didn't even get our first home computer until about 10 years ago either. I remember it being so exciting that we had to rotate through family members who got to use it for 20 minutes at a time. I think we got a DVD player somewhere between 2000 and 2002. Technology was so exciting even though we were way behind the more affluent families.

TheProdigy2010
Private E-2

RE: First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby TheProdigy2010 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:01 pm

My first CD I ever got was one called "Top Pop". It contained 13 hit songs that were all redone by pre-teen and teen vocals. I loved listening to that CD. Being 10-years-old at the time, there was something about the fact that kids were singing some really popular songs, that I enjoyed.
I don't know how I feel about it now. I've grown up and I gave that CD away a while ago.

TheProdigy2010
Private E-2

RE: First Album 2/10-2/16

Postby TheProdigy2010 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:01 pm

My first CD I ever got was one called "Top Pop". It contained 13 hit songs that were all redone by pre-teen and teen vocals. I loved listening to that CD. Being 10-years-old at the time, there was something about the fact that kids were singing some really popular songs, that I enjoyed.
I don't know how I feel about it now. I've grown up and I gave that CD away a while ago.

PiperGirl
Private E-1

Postby PiperGirl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:19 pm

It was my first independent move – my very own decision for which I did not use my parents as a sounding board, nor explicitly seek their approval. I felt all grown up as I took a right on Sixth Avenue that day after classes instead of going straight towards home. Tower Records, to which I was no stranger, awaited me.

Down and through the aisles past my usual stops – Classical, Soundtracks, Soul – to a new section of the store, the existence of which I had previously been only dimly aware: Rock & Roll. And there they were, arranged in a colorful display unmissable by searching young eyes, rebels like me, their covers an indiscernible picture of “something” painted in blue, red and other primaries, Journey’s newest album, Escape.

By this time, it really wasn’t all that new, but I required the independent spirit of a college freshman to make such a momentous purchasing decision. Oh, I had had many albums growing up – Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang; The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles, Baroque Favorites, The Best of Earth, Wind and Fire; The Magic Flute; Star Wars, the Soundtrack – my parents influences, not to mention tight reins, were reflected all through my record cabinet. But this album was all about me. This would be the first Journey, no, make that the first ROCK album to enter the family repertoire, and it was I who would bring this previously unexplored art form to the stifled turntable of the family stereo. Or so I thought at the time.

A good fifteen or twenty years probably went by before I could muster the courage to confess my first great act of defiance to my parents, that of making my own music choice and taking the measures to acquire it. I couldn’t tell if the look with which I was rewarded was one of disappointment or bemusement. Still, I am certain their worst fears were assuaged with the knowledge that the biggest temptation their then-newly minted college student faced was “soft” rock.

Side One provided the Soundtrack for my college ski team, and had to be the one [part of an] album, that regardless of background, nationality, culture, musical preferences, or what-have-you, that every young student at that time could relate to. Open Arms is still one of my favorite ballads of all time. Unfortunately, side two didn’t live up to the promise of the first side and was virtually unlistenable. I will never understand how Journey could get half of their songs so right and the other half, well, enough said.

Still we were young, unflappable, often away from home, and desiring of cohesion. Therefore, it made perfect sense to listen to the same side of the same album repeatedly since it was the music upon which we could all agree.

Music is the one thing that has always connected young people the world over. I hope it always will. Journey fueled our Escape and we, as a team, were all the stronger because of it.

PiperGirl
Private E-1

Postby PiperGirl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:19 pm

It was my first independent move – my very own decision for which I did not use my parents as a sounding board, nor explicitly seek their approval. I felt all grown up as I took a right on Sixth Avenue that day after classes instead of going straight towards home. Tower Records, to which I was no stranger, awaited me.

Down and through the aisles past my usual stops – Classical, Soundtracks, Soul – to a new section of the store, the existence of which I had previously been only dimly aware: Rock & Roll. And there they were, arranged in a colorful display unmissable by searching young eyes, rebels like me, their covers an indiscernible picture of “something” painted in blue, red and other primaries, Journey’s newest album, Escape.

By this time, it really wasn’t all that new, but I required the independent spirit of a college freshman to make such a momentous purchasing decision. Oh, I had had many albums growing up – Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang; The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles, Baroque Favorites, The Best of Earth, Wind and Fire; The Magic Flute; Star Wars, the Soundtrack – my parents influences, not to mention tight reins, were reflected all through my record cabinet. But this album was all about me. This would be the first Journey, no, make that the first ROCK album to enter the family repertoire, and it was I who would bring this previously unexplored art form to the stifled turntable of the family stereo. Or so I thought at the time.

A good fifteen or twenty years probably went by before I could muster the courage to confess my first great act of defiance to my parents, that of making my own music choice and taking the measures to acquire it. I couldn’t tell if the look with which I was rewarded was one of disappointment or bemusement. Still, I am certain their worst fears were assuaged with the knowledge that the biggest temptation their then-newly minted college student faced was “soft” rock.

Side One provided the Soundtrack for my college ski team, and had to be the one [part of an] album, that regardless of background, nationality, culture, musical preferences, or what-have-you, that every young student at that time could relate to. Open Arms is still one of my favorite ballads of all time. Unfortunately, side two didn’t live up to the promise of the first side and was virtually unlistenable. I will never understand how Journey could get half of their songs so right and the other half, well, enough said.

Still we were young, unflappable, often away from home, and desiring of cohesion. Therefore, it made perfect sense to listen to the same side of the same album repeatedly since it was the music upon which we could all agree.

Music is the one thing that has always connected young people the world over. I hope it always will. Journey fueled our Escape and we, as a team, were all the stronger because of it.

cygnetbrown
Private E-1

Postby cygnetbrown » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:39 am

Oh, my gosh, this takes me back. My first album was an LP. I hate to admit it, but the first album I ever bought was the Partridge Family Christmas Album. What girl in the early seventies didn't have a thing for David Cassidy? Yes, I'm from that era.

I bought the album from J. C. Murphy's, a now defunk business. We were actually very poor and prior to that album I bought 45's because we couldn't afford to buy albums. To get this album, I had to use babysitting money. I was only 12 years old at the time. Can you image? A twelve year old babysitting today?

One of the things I loved to do back then was to sing with the album.I remember listening to that album throughout the Christmas season and learning the song Christmas Card. Gosh I feel old.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges