Worst Present 12/23-12/29

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
NatalieJean
Private E-1

RE: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby NatalieJean » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 am

The worst gift I ever recived I deemed cruel and unecessary! It was a "present" I was given on my sixteenth birthday. I loved Trans Ams and, of course, being sweet sixteen I thought my wonderful parents should buy me a new car. After all, all the other kids were getting awsome cars for their birthdays! On that lovely, well remembered day, I was given a small box. Inside was a car key. My heart leapt in excitement. Then I was given another box. In it............was a matchbox Trans AM!!!! Now how mean is that?!!!!!! :(

NatalieJean
Private E-1

Postby NatalieJean » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 am

The worst gift I ever recived I deemed cruel and unecessary! It was a "present" I was given on my sixteenth birthday. I loved Trans Ams and, of course, being sweet sixteen I thought my wonderful parents should buy me a new car. After all, all the other kids were getting awsome cars for their birthdays! On that lovely, well remembered day, I was given a small box. Inside was a car key. My heart leapt in excitement. Then I was given another box. In it............was a matchbox Trans AM!!!! Now how mean is that?!!!!!! :(

littlebitt
Private E-1

Postby littlebitt » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:32 pm

We started dating in January and spent the next year growing closer than we ever imagined. As the end of the year drew near we made plans to spend the holidays with my sister and her family. A week before Christmas we were greeted with warm hugs and excited screams from my two young nieces and my nephew.
The next few days were spent maneuvering through crowded shopping malls and searching for the perfect gift for my fiancé. After discarding many great gift ideas my sister presented to me, I settled on the best fishing rod and reel I could find. He would love it! After finding a box to place the rod and reel into, I took great care to perfectly wrap my symbol of love.
We awoke Christmas morning to the oohs and ahhs of the kids in awe at the gifts Santa had left for us all. I sat on the sofa with my cup of coffee, scanning the gifts as I tried to fully wake up. I noticed the largest gift was leaning against the wall next to the beautiful tree we had decorated just the day before. The package stood about 5 ft. tall, was about 12" wide on each of the four sides, and was wrapped in shiny blue snowman paper. There was a very large, shiny red bow sitting on the top. I wondered which of the men had placed it there the night before.
There was much excitement as the gifts were distributed and unwrapped. The living room slowly filled with discarded paper and empty boxes. The only gift left to give was the largest, shiny blue one, with the red bow. My sister and I sat waiting. We looked at each other, then at the men. Neither of them moved. So we waited, neither of us willing to ask who the gift was for, each hoping it was our own.
Finally, just when we couldn't stand it anymore, my fiancé stood up and retrieved the package. He looked at my sister, smiled, then carried the gift over and laid it on the floor in front of me. I was beside myself, I couldn't imagine what could be inside the box.
I slowly and carefully started removing the paper, barely unable to contain my excitement. After a couple minutes I gave up the pretense and tore the rest of the shiny snowman paper off the box. I hesitated as I read the box, and sat down on the couch staring at it, as my sister suppressed a giggle.
I looked up at my fiancé with questioning eyes. With a big smile on his face he replied, “I knew you needed a new exhaust system for your car, so I thought that would be the perfect gift to get you”.
A couple months later, while discussing the upcoming wedding, I explained very nicely to my fiancé that I would not expect to get a new radiator for an anniversary gift. He sheepishly smiled.

souther67
Private E-1

Postby souther67 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:08 pm

The worst present I have ever received was two years ago on my birthday. The man I had been dating long distance for two years had taken a job in my hometown and it was my first birthday since he moved back. I went to his apartment that night after work and was excited to see three very large boxes beautifully wrapped; waiting for me to tear into them. The first one was a box of pots and pans. My heart sank. I tried to smile as I began opening the next one. It was a set of plastic food containers. I could feel the disappointment starting to settle in. On my last birthday I had been told to pick out a camera, any camera I wanted. For Christmas I got a flatscreen TV. One thought kept going through my mind. "What is wrong with this guy"? The last box turned out to be laundry detergent and a six month supply of paper towels. I am by no means a materialistic person, but after two years of being apart, I would think that I would have at least gotten a bracelet or gift certificate to my favorite store. Needless to say, the relationship only lasted for two more months.

ramonski
Private E-1

Postby ramonski » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:33 pm

The worst present I ever received was a little blue and white porcelain box. I did not know what to do with it. I did not think it was pretty and it was too small to put jewelry in. I ended up putting odds and ends in it that I didn't want sititng on my dresser in my bedroom. I smiled and thanked my sister in law for it but truly did not know what to do with such an ugly thing. Later it found its way into my dresser drawer where it has resided for almost twenty five years.

Trissa
Private E-2

Re: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby Trissa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:00 am

My worst Christmas presents were given me by my new husband the first Christmas we spent as man and wife. You'd think he would find something romantic to give me: new negligee, perfume, even scented candles would have been nice. But no...

I got a big blue roasting pan and an ironing board! I didn't want to hurt his feelings (although at the time I wasn't sure he had any). Needless to say, after 28 years of marriage I still have both. The roasting pan gets used a lot, especially holidays. And whenever I get it out, I remind my family when I got it and who it came from. As for the ironing board, I can count on both hands the number of times it has been used. And my husband is usually the one using it for some of his nicer shirts. Thank god for permanent press!

Trissa
Private E-2

Re: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby Trissa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:00 am

My worst Christmas presents were given me by my new husband the first Christmas we spent as man and wife. You'd think he would find something romantic to give me: new negligee, perfume, even scented candles would have been nice. But no...

I got a big blue roasting pan and an ironing board! I didn't want to hurt his feelings (although at the time I wasn't sure he had any). Needless to say, after 28 years of marriage I still have both. The roasting pan gets used a lot, especially holidays. And whenever I get it out, I remind my family when I got it and who it came from. As for the ironing board, I can count on both hands the number of times it has been used. And my husband is usually the one using it for some of his nicer shirts. Thank god for permanent press!

loganatr
Private E-1

Postby loganatr » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges