Worst Present 12/23-12/29

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
shorty
Corporal

RE: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby shorty » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 pm

The worst present I've ever received was ignorance.  Sadly, a higher education didn't prevent a couple of them from giving that present.  In those times, I felt their education made it worse.

What I try to keep in mind with each repeat receipt is that that no one is perfect, and that we all have faults.  Some more annoying, some less.  I try and keep pity for those who've given me that unwanted present, not indignation, as it does not do anyone any good in the big picture sense.   In recent months, I've also been reminded that ignorance does not have to give birth to ignorance.  That of all the material things or traits we re-gift to each other, ignorance should not be among them, and  using our humanity is never a good excuse for re-gifting it at any time.

Of all the examples of ignorance being healed that I've seen or experienced, the greatest examples were the ones I saw in the Hallmark Channel specials about the Seeds of Peace international camp a few years back.  Watching their efforts to facilitate understanding and healing of ignorance on a variety of levels was very interesting, and it gave me some hope.  I'm no peace-nik; however, watching the camp leadership at work with teens from many international countries, some of which have already been or now are in the midst of war was an encouraging sight to behold.  This international camp is in the state of Maine, and they also have a website that is well worth the time to visit.

islandqueen
Private E-1

Postby islandqueen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:31 am

Amerige is a lovely little fragrance by Givenchy. I would definately give it as a gift. The first time I got it, it was as a gift and I was pleased. The second time I got it, it was also a gift, but on round two I was vexed to the point of stuttering. My boyfriend of nearly six years had given me Amerige as a Christmas gift for the second year in a row. It was at this moment that I realized that I was the wallpaper in the living room of his uptight existence. No matter how lovely, wallpaper still serves only one function, to sit on the damned wall and look good. You put it up and then you stop thinking about it, even noticing it. Occassionally someone may comment on what pretty wallpaper you have, and for a moment you smile smugly at it, congratulating yourself on such a fine choice, but that's where it ends. It was the worst gift I had ever gotten because it exposed the hollow of my lover's heart and I saw inside only the remnant of what used to be such great affection for me. His gift was rote, like everything else about us. There was a time when every gift he bought me, even the simplest and most inexpensive was a reflection of how much he noticed me. Well, those days were clearly gone.
In defense of his f***-up he told me that he simply thought it was time to replace the last bottle, which I promptly fetched, with more than half of its contents still remaining. I held it up to him and with a crazy kind of tearful desperation totally inappropriate for the occasion. I mean, I literaly begged him to explain how he could forget that he'd gotten me the exact same thing twelve months prior. What I was really trying to express was more or less an appeal to the man who once loved me to think of me as special to him once again, if only for Christmas. He shrugged. He left. We were through.

cinmar
Private E-1

Re: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby cinmar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:31 am

The Real Present

Above the tossed and crumpled wrappings, the discarded spirals of ribbon, I held in my hands the worst present I had ever received. It was a gift from my in-laws, who watched in amusement as I opened it. I raised the item to my eye level, feigning a smile, as I turned the piece of artwork to view it from different angles, wondering all the time why they thought I would like something like this.

What I held in my hands was about eight inches high, ten inches deep, and five inches wide. It was a perfect reproduction of a toilet, anchored onto a rectangular base of simulated tile flooring, all constructed of white plastic. There was no question of seat-up or seat-down, as the seat had no lid. Instead, the bowl was filled with potting soil, and rising out of the dirt, in imitation of the Washington Monument, was the bonsai version of a prickly pear cactus, complete with sharp-edged spikes. Ouch.

My father-in-law bubbled over with excitement. "Push the handle," he cried. I did, and the response was the recorded sound of an actual toilet flush.

To be polite I found a place for the gift on the counter in the spare bathroom. It wasn't long before (oops!), the cactus fell out and died. The dirt has been replaced with some small seashells, and I expect that someday no one will notice when the whole object goes missing.

I can't be too mad with my in-laws. After all, they did provide me with a most wonderful husband.

homework
Private E-1

Postby homework » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:34 pm

It was at a Bridal Shower thrown by my future in-laws when, 'I,' soon to become a part of a, 'We,' recieved this black and gold floral arrangement. I did not know all the extended members of the family very well, so naturally I just loved it as I pasted on that phony plastic smile. The whole time I was thinking to myself, "Now, what on earth am I supposed to do with this thing?" I remained polite and was thankful for the gift from one of my future cousin-in-laws. When the shower had ended and people went home, this new odditiy went to our apartment where my soon to be husband was already staying. I belive his words were, "What the heck is that?" I just smiled and said, "Good question. It's from your cousin, Connie. You know, you can always just call her up and ask her yourself!" We just looked at each other, scratched our heads and laughed.

'It,' graced our apartment, then our house until one of my younger cousins with a terriffic sense of humor was engaged to be married. I wrapped 'It' up as an unmarked gift. I had also purchased something they had registerd for, this time letting it be known who that gift was from. When the happy couple opened, 'It,' I could tell exactly what was going through my cousin's mind, "What the heck is this?" and he too, didn't laugh.

After a few pictures were taken I let him off the hook, but not too easily. "Man, that thing is strange! Who gave that to you?" I asked him. He just looked around uneasily and shrugged. I then told him and everyone the story behind it receiving quite a laugh. After the shower I told my cousin away from his siblings that in keeping with the funniness he had to give it to his next sibling that got married. Last November, his sister got married and that following Christmas my husband and I got 'It' once again.

Louise Martin
Private E-1

Postby Louise Martin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:46 pm

It had been two months since he left my mom high and dry; not a word, not a note, not even a hint as to why. Two long months of listening to my mom cry herself to sleep. Two months of bill collectors calls because we had not paid one bill or another. We were always late in paying even before, but the two of them still managed.

Alone, with absolutely no money to spare, she somehow scraped enough to get us some new clothes for Christmas. They were from discount bins, but they were fashionable and they fit us. We were not greedy kids, and knowing how bad things were, we really appreciated these gifts.

He called and asked us to come down and meet him. He missed Christmas by a week. He was waiting for us in the lobby, unshaven, unbathed, holding one of those green garbage bags. I got the feeling he was guilted into being there by his mom. He hated being told what to do, especially about his kids. Without a word, he pulled out the gifts one by one. The wrapping was lopsided and ill-fit the packages. Typical guy, he was never one for minor details. My sister opened hers, smiled broadly and gave him a big hug. My brother ripped off the wrapping and shouted, “Cool, a water gun!”, then ran to fill it up and no doubt douse us with it upon his return. I accepted mine with an open mind, he did make the effort to come over and see us. It must be just as hard on him not to be with his family, right?

I opened the crushed box with no wrapping. I pulled out a very gaudy, ornate, bluish sweater. I thought I had seen it before, the kind that hang on makeshift hangers in the swap meet. One of the large glued on flowers had fallen into the box, and the knitting was so cheap that it was practically see-through. It had dark markings on the shoulders and was warped. I realized what those markings were, they were dust stains from years of being overlooked by every other patron to that stall. My disgust was apparent. What was he thinking? That we would not notice? Were we so young and naïve not to see that the water gun leaked like a sieve because it was cracked, or that my sweater and my sister’s leg warmers were actually a separated gift-set?

I knew we had all fallen on troubled times. I was only 14, but I had compassion. What I did not expect was some second rate leftovers. That is what I felt like, a leftover, something that was once appealing, but after a while, was tossed out like trash. Is that how he felt about us? I guess so. He grumbled a good-bye and left.

The worse Christmas gift ever received never even made it in to the apartment; it was immediately tossed out like trash.

acre1964
Private E-2

Postby acre1964 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:19 pm

The Worst Prestent I recived was a pink slip on Christmas Eve. The thing is think it turned out to be my best gift of my life. I learned to be forgiving to others and forgive myself for my mistakes. In the Poccess I hope I have helped others with thier Lifes. May the Lord find ways to forgive us for our short commings. May we try to walk a mile in others shoes before we Judge them. I have had bad days and good days too. Now the good days out number the bad days. I owe a lot of this thanks to some wonderful friends and familys. Hopefully I will be able help these people with and with out them knowing. Remember there are Great people everywhere and when you least expect it they will show up in your life. The People who need help will find and recive it. I guess I was not meant to work for that company.
May God Bless the United States of America
:)Maybe I am one of them Great people because of bad news.

LynBergeson
Private E-1

Postby LynBergeson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 pm

It's hard to say what the worst present has been because I am sure I have given some doozys myself.

But....

When I was 9, I went through a girly stage and wanted cute clothes and a holly hobby lunch box for my birthday. Instead I got a white, vinyl Miami Dolphins football, which was strange because no one in my universe cared for, spoke of or played the sport. What did I do with it? I was also in a phase where I liked burning things, so I melted holes in it one rainy Oregon afternoon.

When I was 22, we drew names at work for the annual Christmas gift exchange. Eddie the warehouseman drew mine. Eddie was the number one fan of the Faces of Death movie series and also had four aquariums in the warehouse that were full of black widow spiders he collected. I knew all about this because he'd stop in the office and tell me how many he'd caught in a week. Well, on the night of the company Christmas party I got my gift. We all had to open them in front of each other. God. He actually took the time to make me a collection: One bottle of Tabu cologne, a pair of nylons, and a "college" T-shirt with "Drunken State University" on the front. OK, it wasn't the worst gift, if you consider he took the time to put it all together in one box and wrap it for me. But when a near stranger gives a girl suntan nylons and a bottle of Tabu....uhh, well, maybe I've been too hard on poor Eddie. I don't remember what I did with the gifts, I probably didn't use them because they freaked me out. I did consider giving my roommate, Mary, the T-shirt but she was usually at work or spending the weekends in jail working off a DUI charge. In the end, I thought it might hurt her feelings.

People like giving me T-shirts!

The same year as the Eddie-gift, I took a new boyfriend home to meet my family. We all went out to dinner and while this wasn't a typical gift-giving occasion, one of my kin presented a beautifully-wrapped box to me at the dinner table. She winked and said "you can sleeeep in it!" I opened up the box and found she had given me a giant T-shirt with a giant Tasmanian Devil on it (the one from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.) It even said "TAZ!" on the back. I think this gift would have been the best form of birth control/libido depressant at the time, which is why I just put it in a drawer for some other day. I felt guilty about discarding it and packed it around for years until my husband found it and made me wear it one night to bed...hmmmm

LynBergeson
Private E-1

Postby LynBergeson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 pm

It's hard to say what the worst present has been because I am sure I have given some doozys myself.

But....

When I was 9, I went through a girly stage and wanted cute clothes and a holly hobby lunch box for my birthday. Instead I got a white, vinyl Miami Dolphins football, which was strange because no one in my universe cared for, spoke of or played the sport. What did I do with it? I was also in a phase where I liked burning things, so I melted holes in it one rainy Oregon afternoon.

When I was 22, we drew names at work for the annual Christmas gift exchange. Eddie the warehouseman drew mine. Eddie was the number one fan of the Faces of Death movie series and also had four aquariums in the warehouse that were full of black widow spiders he collected. I knew all about this because he'd stop in the office and tell me how many he'd caught in a week. Well, on the night of the company Christmas party I got my gift. We all had to open them in front of each other. God. He actually took the time to make me a collection: One bottle of Tabu cologne, a pair of nylons, and a "college" T-shirt with "Drunken State University" on the front. OK, it wasn't the worst gift, if you consider he took the time to put it all together in one box and wrap it for me. But when a near stranger gives a girl suntan nylons and a bottle of Tabu....uhh, well, maybe I've been too hard on poor Eddie. I don't remember what I did with the gifts, I probably didn't use them because they freaked me out. I did consider giving my roommate, Mary, the T-shirt but she was usually at work or spending the weekends in jail working off a DUI charge. In the end, I thought it might hurt her feelings.

People like giving me T-shirts!

The same year as the Eddie-gift, I took a new boyfriend home to meet my family. We all went out to dinner and while this wasn't a typical gift-giving occasion, one of my kin presented a beautifully-wrapped box to me at the dinner table. She winked and said "you can sleeeep in it!" I opened up the box and found she had given me a giant T-shirt with a giant Tasmanian Devil on it (the one from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.) It even said "TAZ!" on the back. I think this gift would have been the best form of birth control/libido depressant at the time, which is why I just put it in a drawer for some other day. I felt guilty about discarding it and packed it around for years until my husband found it and made me wear it one night to bed...hmmmm

josmel117
Private E-1

Postby josmel117 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 am

It was Mother’s Day, about 9 years ago, and I was still married to my ex-husband. The day started off great. My twins, who were 10 at the time, both made me cards which brought tears to my eyes. We had my ex-husband’s family over for brunch and to exchange presents. That family was always exchanging presents – even when there was no occasion to do so! We all opened our presents’ at the same time and I received the exact same present as my mother-in-law, which was “Angel” perfume. That was all I got from the creep! To add insult to injury, he never told me that he bought her a gift, so I gave her another gift from all of us - a matching bracelet and earrings that I spent over $200 on. I brought it to his attention and he didn’t seem to think that there was anything wrong with what he did. After that, no matter what he did, the day was ruined. Every time that I see that perfume in a store or advertised, I cringe!
Ironically, about 3 years ago, my daughter received a necklace from Tiffany as a Hanukkah present from her Dad. When she came back to my house, she was showing me what she received and I told her that I thought it was beautiful. She obviously did not and began to cry. I asked her why she was crying and she told me that his new fiancée and his mother both received the exact same gifts. I tried to calm her down and tell her that he really didn’t mean to hurt her, but she brought up the fact that he did it to me on Mother’s Day with the perfume and I never forgot and obviously neither did she! Isn’t it amazing how some people NEVER change!

josmel117
Private E-1

Postby josmel117 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 am

It was Mother’s Day, about 9 years ago, and I was still married to my ex-husband. The day started off great. My twins, who were 10 at the time, both made me cards which brought tears to my eyes. We had my ex-husband’s family over for brunch and to exchange presents. That family was always exchanging presents – even when there was no occasion to do so! We all opened our presents’ at the same time and I received the exact same present as my mother-in-law, which was “Angel” perfume. That was all I got from the creep! To add insult to injury, he never told me that he bought her a gift, so I gave her another gift from all of us - a matching bracelet and earrings that I spent over $200 on. I brought it to his attention and he didn’t seem to think that there was anything wrong with what he did. After that, no matter what he did, the day was ruined. Every time that I see that perfume in a store or advertised, I cringe!
Ironically, about 3 years ago, my daughter received a necklace from Tiffany as a Hanukkah present from her Dad. When she came back to my house, she was showing me what she received and I told her that I thought it was beautiful. She obviously did not and began to cry. I asked her why she was crying and she told me that his new fiancée and his mother both received the exact same gifts. I tried to calm her down and tell her that he really didn’t mean to hurt her, but she brought up the fact that he did it to me on Mother’s Day with the perfume and I never forgot and obviously neither did she! Isn’t it amazing how some people NEVER change!

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges