[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Worst Present 12/23-12/29 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Worst Present 12/23-12/29

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
LaRojaja
Private E-1

RE: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby LaRojaja » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Our family reveled in our short time of being alone together. Within hours my mom’s family would be visiting and we would be aching for a simpler, more comfortable time. We opened each present slowly, in a attempt to make time pass slowly and enjoy being with people who had some idea of ‘us’. My sister liked anything exceptionally randomness would work. Mom was a certain style of clothing which I had never really grasped as well as a much larger size which I was not comfortable buying, and had, therefore, never given. My dad was the easiest. Gold Toe socks, any sort of music or book on tape… and a long list of other simple things that make a great dad happy. I generally anything related to horses and chocolate. I was always singled out for terribly scrawny figure and I was sure chocolate was the cure for such attention. Each of us knew these things about one another and honored everyone’s wants.
We opened my mom’s parents’ last in order to break it to ourselves slowly that they were coming. These presents noted that they had no idea who we were; never mind our sizes. Her aunt gave us long sleeved pink plaid flannel gowns that fell below our ankles. Some may think of this as comfy, however, the lace encapsulating the neck itched like nothing else I know, as did the same lace at the ankles and wrists. This, however, was nothing compared to the things my mom’s mother would give. They were inevitably some form of underwear and were never anything that anyone born in this century would wear. We did not get our hopes up for this year. “You know it’s underwear.” my sister predicted. After opening our boxes, there was a pause followed by roars of teary laughter. There, in those boxes lay no ordinary panties. These were panties that, as my dad said, could act as mainsails for a large boat. My dad and sister and I had endless uses for these yards and yards of fabric, none of which involved acting as underwear. We laughed until the calls came from my mom’s parents saying they were on their way. This is where the hilarious present turns into the worst present ever in our house. As I’ve mentioned, my mom is large, but the issue has never been talked about. We began picking up all the paper and bows and, when asked what should be done with those colossal panties, without a moment’s pause my dad said “Your mother’s needed new underwear for a while. Give them to her.” Immediately you could see him trying to pull the words back. My mom being offered the gargantuan panties for her more than ample body gave us our final present of the holiday. It was a nasty present that kept on giving as the people filed in out; even as we woke up the next morning wondering which undergarments my mom might be wearing.

hscott211
Private E-1

Postby hscott211 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:29 am

At my previous job, our department had decided to do a grab bag. After some debate, someone came up with the idea of submitting a short list of gift preferences along with our names to the grab bag, so nobody would end up short-changed. Since the group was so small, we decided not to withhold names. So everyone knew would everyone else had picked from the bag.
All went well, and I looked forward to my coffee shop gift card, jazz CD or scented candles. However, Christmas Eve came and we all exchanged gifts. I was shocked when I opened my gift (in front of everyone) to find that my co-worker had given me a copy of her self-published book! I was so ticked off that I threw it in the recycle bin on my way out the door that evening.
After many days of, "have you finish the book yet? what do you think so far?" I finally told her that I enjoyed it a lot and that I passed it on to my book club leader for consideration as a future book club selection.

jimdens
Major

removed

Postby jimdens » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:33 am

removed

LillySkylark
Private E-1

Re: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby LillySkylark » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:45 pm

The year was in the 1960's and I was engaged to be married. The gift? A replica of a actural chastity belt...need I say more????? In all fairness though I have to tell you it was an exchange of gag gifts but gag or not it absolutely was my worst gift ever!

fleur1977
Private E-1

Postby fleur1977 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:19 pm

White elephant gifts are supposed to be funny or just awful. But I'm the type of person to bring the gift people will fight over, in hopes that I will end up with a gift from the same type of person. This year, it all changed. I brought my gift (two ties, four pens, and a creative message that said, "Wishing you great "tie"dings of joy on Christmas and a Hap"pen"ning New Year!") to the Carrabba's Christmas Party. Rather than stealing a Hannah Montana doll for my kids, I chose a gift bag with the unknown in it. I opened it and saw a box with a cardinal lantern- yes, it looked like a ceramic bird feeder with 3 cardinals on each side, and an open side to insert a candle.

I despised it. So, I kept it in the original gift bag and stapled a note to it. The note said, "Merry Christmas! This gift is for the 5th mico (server) to arrive to work on the 24th day of the 12th month in the year 2008." I put the bag under the Christmas tree in the restaurant.

I showed up to Carrabba's on Christmas Eve to find out who the lucky winner of my dreadful cardinal lantern would be. The fifth server to arrive that night was a girl named Tiana- who also received the ties and pens from my white elephant gift! The thing is, she was very grateful. I think I did a good deed this week. I didn't like the cardinal lantern, but in the end, someone did.

popovic
Lieutenant

Re: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby popovic » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm pretty sure I win when it comes to the "Worst Gift Ever" contest.

My next-door neighbor was an artist. And a drunk. The combination of spraypaint fumes, vodka fumes and whatever else she was concocting over there on the other side of the wall made her a little...unusual. When I came home from the hospital with my brand new baby, there was a little gift there waiting for me. A strange glittery shawl from the 60s. A scary painting that was half primitive earth-mother and half blue glitter spraypaint. And...

An opened. Read "used". Bottle of vaginal moisture goop.

Yeah.

solsyswv
Private E-1

Postby solsyswv » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:19 pm

I was in 3rd grade and our class exchanged gifts. Each classmate had to get something for another and be a 'secret Santa'. A classmate got me a model airplane of a Jap Zero. This was in 1958 and I looked sort-of Japanese (although I'm actually German, English and Irish). I was fortunately naive and didn't understand the intention of the other student. It could that it was a student that lost relatives in World War 2.

I vaguely remember my teacher not being appreciative of the gift's selection. I think I gave the model to my brother who was a year younger and into that kind of stuff. I was a semi-nerd even then.

::: sigh ::: :(

Myrtle
Private First Class

Postby Myrtle » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:40 am

Worst present? Last year. My children are grown so rather than encroach on their own family Christmas
time, I asked that they visit on another day and we'd spend time together and share gifts and food.
Money was awfully sparce for me that year so I explained to them that my gift to them would be the meal.
I baked and cooked and cleaned and waited. And waited. Out of six children, one sent his wife and
children who explained that he could not be there, another brought a date - and her four children, a third arrived late, apologized for another who, he explained, had other last minute plans, and left early. Two didn't come at all or call. This year I told my children that the plans this year were the same as last year. The
day of the 'big meal' is tomorrow. Stay tuned...

jimdens
Major

Postby jimdens » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:07 am

Myrtle
Private First Class

Postby Myrtle » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:46 am

Next year I will take a trip at Christmas. Better than being home.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges