Worst Present 12/23-12/29

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:29 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:29 am

What's the worst present you've ever received? How did you react and what, ultimately, did you do with the gift?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

kmannfann
Private E-1

Re: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby kmannfann » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:39 am

Many Gifts, Id say I was 6 or seven. Aunt Linnie Bell. Really that is her name. Always would send gifts as if I was in my 20's or 30's. This one birthday I recieved a pair of eggplant purple gloves, and a clutch evening purse. I dreaded recieveing gifts from her, Id hide them in the deepest closet and drawers of my room, so none of my friends would see them. My mother would be amused , and my father would shake his head understanding my dilema. Yeh, Hun, I used to have to be dresed up in dress's and pearls growng up with her" Dont forget she was the only girl out of 7 boys" This did not excuse the fact I never recieved a single kid friendly gift. Years later My mother pulled out of a fancy box that she had hidden away from my sight , 'Well heres the last gift Aunt Linnie had sent you when you were 18 , I didnt have the heart to give it to you." It was a gold HUGE Aquamarine neckless and Cocktail ring as big as Elizabeth Taylors ring from Richard Burton. "Oh, God What was she thinking?. When I was about 30. I preceeded to take it to a Antique dealer who inturn told me it was from Brazil and worth about 3,000.00 dollars , the neckless about 2,000. Thanks, Auntie Linnie bell, I sold it , and took a vacation with my children.

Frenchie023
Private E-1

RE: Worst Present 12/23-12/29

Postby Frenchie023 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:01 pm

It was a few Christmases ago, and I'd been coveting this gorgeous watch that I'd been drooling over every time I walked past it at the mall. My mom, who knew this, and who is wonderfully infuriating during the holidays (I STILL have no idea where she hid my presents from me when I was little!) kept dropping hints that maybe I'd be getting it for Christmas. Every time she dropped a hint, I got more and more excited about the possibility of getting the watch.

Well, come Christmas Day (Eve, technically. We are an impatient lot in my family), out comes a watch-box-shaped present from my mom. Ooh! Here it is! We'd already opened all our other presents (like I said, impatient) so this was the last one left. I rip aside the tissue paper, peek inside the bag - holding my breath of course - and there it is!

Wait. No it's not.

My gorgeous watch had been replaced with this damn green plastic watch, one of those $3.99 Wal-Mart numbers, that's been floating around the house for the past year! It even had a fine layer of dust all over it!

There's a photograph floating around somewhere capturing that moment: the look on my face as it went from perfect excitement and anticipation to crushing disappointment and 'what the hell?!' in the span of .04 seconds.

Everyone burst out laughing, and eventually the much-coveted watch was produced - which, incidentally, is on my wrist right now.

Merry Christmas!
:)

replikate
Private E-1

Postby replikate » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:35 am

My first Christmas out of my parents' home was probably the worst, for multiple reasons. Even though I was just 19, I think everybody in my family believed that I had suddenly transformed into a dish-scrubbin', floor-sweepin' housewife overnight. I received everything from pots and pans to ugly kitchen knick knacks. I was incredibly bummed. Even my husband (just my fiance at the time) got cooler gifts than I did. You have no idea how hard it is to feign interest in a stainless steel strainer when your fiance just received a $20 Blockbuster gift card.

All of the pots and pans were useful, of course, but I regifted the knick knacks at a wedding. I mean, they were fat little chefs that are supposed sit on the edge of a shelf! Come on!

Sigh.

heathermoreland
Private First Class

Postby heathermoreland » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:44 am

The worst Christmas present I ever received was from someone I barely even knew... which probably explains why they succumbed to the audacity and utter horror of these once thought extinct "gifts"...

A fruitcake! ;)

Or, maybe they just thought it was fitting to bestow a fruitcake upon a fruitcake! :o

Avidia
Private E-1

Postby Avidia » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:46 am

The worst present I ever received was from my brother. My brother has a difficult time shopping for me since I don't religiously watch football or wrestling, consume large quantities of beer in a single sitting, or roll on the floor in fits of laughter at "pull-my-finger" jokes. Our tastes run at extreme opposites. One year he bought me a sweater and even though it might have been modeled after a graffity-filled wall, I wore it to my fairly conservative workplace that one day when most of my wardrobe was in the dirty pile waiting to be cleaned.

Co-workers and I had gathered round cups of coffee to share stories of holiday gifts. I was describing horrible gifts from my brother including the clock with decoupaged owl whose eyes followed me everywhere as if I were prey that was unfortunately "broken by movers" which is why it is no longer on display when my co-worker asked, "Do you realize your sweater says gang-bang?"

Before I could remember my spine wouldn't twist that way, I tried to turn my head to read the back of my sweater. Sadly, I didn't remember for several seconds during which time I kept the contortions going. I probably looked a bit like a dog chasing its tail. My co-workers laughed as hard as my brother does when he actually pulls someones finger. It didn't help that they were kidding. I still think of that sweater as my gang-bang sweater.

GothWriter
Sergeant

Postby GothWriter » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:19 pm

I worked at a company for 10 years back in the 90's. Every Christmas we would get together for the "Secret Santa" and pick names from a hat. This one year there was a guy in the cubicle next to me whom I had thought was a friend of mine. Well what I mean was we sat next to each other for quite awhile and we chattted up the day to pass the day. ONe day he was asking me all about how to clean CD's. I told him that my wife and I had bought a hand cranked CD cleaner that came with a liquid that was dripped onto sponge-like rings that were placed inside the cleaner and you put the CD inside the contraption and turned the crank and it cleaned the CD to shiny perfection. He asked me everything about this cleaner, where I bought it, what came with it? ICristmas rolled around and it came time for our secret Santa and everyone was getting excited to open their gifts. Now at this time I had already basically been royally screwed every time I was involved in the Secret Santa, but me being the optimist I would always put my name in the hat. When I got my present I opened it like an excited child to find the exact CD cleaner that I already owned. But the topper was whoever gave me this gift had removed the extra disc sponges and the little bottle of cleaner that came with it. Even if I hadn't already owned it I would have known these things were missing because the plastic had spaces for these things and they were empty. I was in shock because it was completely useless to clean cd's. I turned to My Neighbor hoping to be able to complain at receiving such a gift only to discover it had been him who gave it to me. I was absiolutely speechless when he informed me he was my secret Santa and his exuberance that he displayed completely baffled me. I was never a part of the secret Santa after that.

XintricKim
Major

Postby XintricKim » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:33 pm

My dad is a very creative person, always building, fixing, painting, or carving things. (He is currently a chainsaw woodcarver.) When I was a kid I was always asking if I could help fix the car, paint something, build something, anything, but because I was a girl, his answer was always no. One summer I asked him yet again if I could help him build something. I think I was 11. He told me that he didn't think I would be able to do it because it would be difficult. I said, "Well maybe we could build a birdhouse," because that seemed like something easy. The birdhouse was never built and time passed.

Christmas came around and my dad said he'd gotten me something I'd been wanting for a long time. I opened the supposedly longed-for present. It was a birdhouse.

At first I felt devastated and heartbroken, because I hadn't really wanted a birdhouse, I'd just wanted to build something with my dad. But, as the middle child out of 5 kids, I just decided to be happy that he remembered that at some point I had said SOMETHING using the words "bird" and "house" hahahahaha.

Calimom09
Private E-1

Postby Calimom09 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:51 pm

One of the worst Presents that I received had to come from one of my in-laws. After I gave them my gift for Christmas, they went into the back room, and put together a bag and a scarf in an already torn wrapping paper. I knew the gift was not for me, but she was just passing along a gift that she received and wanted to pass it off to me as a new gift. I just took the gift, smiled and stored it somewhere in my house. To this day, I have no idea where it is.

The second worst gift that I received was from someone who thought I couldn't tell if a pair of earrings were not worn. I took one look at these things, and you can still see the gunk from their ears attached to the back of the earring...eew :o That gift is currently still sitting in the box, waiting for me to do something with it, either throw it away, or clean it and pass it along. I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, between the two, I can't decide which one was THE worst, but they were both pretty bad.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges