[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 9 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
frommyheart2urs
Private E-1

RE: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby frommyheart2urs » Sun May 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Dear Writers Block,

We need to talk. The time has come for us to part ways. It’s not you, it’s me. At first, lying in bed all day, watching television, and only leaving the house when we ran out of cereal and tissue was fun, but I can’t keep living my life like this anymore; waiting for something to happen day after day. That might be fine for you, but it’s not working for me anymore.

When you asked me if there was someone else, and I told you there wasn’t, I lied. There has always been someone else, but you knew that already, didn’t you? They didn’t demand my time or trick me into sticking around like you have done from the moment I let you into my life; telling me that I am better off not pursing my dreams because it would only lead to failure and heartache.

Sure we may have had our creative differences, which gave you a chance to make your move. But through it all, they were patient and told me that they would always be there for me, and to come back when I was ready. My characters believe in me and expect me to tell their stories only the way that I can.

Feelings for you, I no longer have, so please don’t think for one moment that I will miss you. I have packed your bags, and procrastination and disbelief are waiting for you to join them elsewhere. So on this day, writer’s block, I bid you, adieu.

frommyheart2urs
Private E-1

Re: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby frommyheart2urs » Sun May 22, 2011 5:00 pm

I enjoyed your poem very much. :)

H.I.Almuhairi
Private E-1

Postby H.I.Almuhairi » Sun May 29, 2011 6:47 am

Dear Writer’s block, Jr.,

I think we should start seeing other people; I can’t handle all that comes with this tireless love-hate relationship between us anymore. It’s exhausting to be tied to you; I can’t appreciate the deep attachment you have for me no matter what angle I look at it through.

It’s been a long, depressing year that I wasn’t able to enjoy with you. I’ve always wanted to go out with Inspiration, but you’ve killed him. Now I’d like to try things out with my muse, he’s been stuffy ever since you and I started dating. I think he just hates your whole family because his family hates you guys. You ruin their good business and lead their clients to suicide, something which you and your family should be ashamed of.

I hope you hold no grudges, because this simply had to be done. You can have your ring back, I won’t need it. And to think I almost got married to you—I must’ve been out of my mind! My muse says he can make me rings spun out of imagination and love. Take that.

Yours truly,

Ex-victim

JAG1971
Private E-1

Postby JAG1971 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Dear Writer's Block,

It's not you it's me. Just kidding, it's mostly you. You have done nothing but bring out the worst in me. You have encouraged my laziness and my ADD. You know that once I start a project, that I'm easily disracted. You have seduced me with all these tv shows so I will watch them, instead of working on my book and short stories. You sir, are an enabler and it's not a healthy relationship.

Shame on you, that you watched me work diligently on my first novel, only to throw on the brakes right in the middle. You strangled the flow of my creativity to the point that I cannot come up with what happens next. My characters are begging for life that only I can give them. They fear that they will meet the same fate as some of the other characters in stories that I have started and put on the back-burner with little hope of ever being published and read.

It's over. Don't try to change my mind, you will never win me over. I'm trading you for Discipline. Discipline will demand that I write at least something each day. Discipline will not allow me to throw away the ideas I get almost daily. Discipline knows that they are given to me for a reason and that it would be a shame to waste them.

So pack up all your cruel tricks and get out!! I never want to see you or hear from you again.

sincerely,

JAG1971
(soon to be published author)

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Dear Writer's Block,
It's not you, it's me. I have begun anew stage in my life. I hav found the song that i am supposed to sing. Yes, i know my vocal singing is attrocious, but the song that i am speaking of is the one of my heart. Yes that song can be heard through the words that i write. But i must tell you that these will never be written for you again. Yes, i must end this, we have been on a long straight road, yet we are going nowhere. And i have learned that my words must be heard not in the back of my mind waiting to be discovered. I know this seems unfair, and i will be honest with you. I am happy now, for i have met another and his name is Inspiration.
No longer yours,
Hannah
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Dear Writer’s Block,

When I get back from the library, I expect you to be gone. I realize you have a lot of bags to pack; in fact, you’ve been cluttering up my life with your huge mouldering piles of crap for far too long. Get all your stuff out of my house, and yourself with it.

I’ve put up with your nagging, your criticism, your moping and your whining until now. You must be wondering why it’s suddenly time to kick you to the curb. Short answer: I don’t need you anymore.

This is a harsh send-off, and I’m sorry it has to be this way. Believe me, I’m not ungrateful for your presence in my life....you were my excuse to avoid many difficult and frightening things, you helped me put off necessary changes as long as possible. And of course, without you, I never could have racked up so many points in “Bejewelled 2.” So, although I appreciate all you’ve done for me, I can’t afford to be nice at this stage, or you’ll just weasel your way back into my life, and settle in on the couch for good.

And by the way, there’s someone else now. He’s honest and intellectually challenging, instead of telling me whatever I want to hear. He’s supportive and loyal, without being a crutch or a doormat. He’s a VERY demanding lover; he wants everything I have to give, won’t be satisfied with less, and with him I’m always eager to deliver.

He wants to move in, so you have to move out. You’re a smart, good-looking guy, and I’m sure you’ll quickly find someone else’s lifeblood to sap.

Good luck, no hard feelings, eh? And I’m changing the locks, so don’t try to come back.

Sincerely,
Lori.

staceywriter
Private E-1

Postby staceywriter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 pm

Dear Writer's Block, it's not you, it's me ...

I know we keep getting back together, and sometimes it feels like we're going to make a real commitment to each other, but seriously, that's not what I want. I can never be happy with you and I know you deserve better.

I have full confidence that you will find someone that suits you better, someone who will cherish you and use the spare time for something else like needlepoint or some other enjoyable activity that doesn't involve writing, but that's just not me.

Yes, we've had lots of good times together reading, baking, making soap, cleaning the house, partying... doing lots of fun things. And every time, I know you thought it meant something more, but it doesn't. Writing is my true love, and I want to grow old with him. I know sometimes we fight and say stupid things, but he's the one I want to stay up late with, and wake up early with, both of us cradling a cup of hot coffee and staring into eachother's eyes as the pitter-pat of keys is the only soothing sound breaking the silence of a room as we build something that I know will be breathtakingly beautiful together. He's one of those guys that always makes me chase him, but I think he likes it that way and I do too. He makes me want to be a better person, and you know if you and I were together, we'd just be lazy fools. I know you can find someone who wants to live that lifestyle, but I can't give you that.

I can't say with certainty that I won't end up in a scandalous position with you again someday, but it will never be permanent. You've hurt me too much and made me feel too worthless to continue seeing you for any extended length of time. Lying in your arms lulls me to sleep and allows me to watch countless television shows, but in the end you are always whispering such awful things in my ear - sour nothings, I like to call them.

So for my sake and yours, please stay away. It will only lead to another breakup and more heartache.

Goodbye... may you find happiness with some evil monster who is dying to write a manifesto about killing off some large portion of humanity.

staceywriter
Private E-1

Postby staceywriter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 pm

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges