[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 8 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Depo
Private E-1

RE: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby Depo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Dear Writer's Block,

It's not you, it's me. No, you know what? I was going to put all the blame on myself and let you out of this easy, but forget it. This is all your fault! What did I ever do to you to deserve this? Look at the way you have treated me. Did I ever interfere with your dreams, or possibly your livelihood? No. Did I ever waste your time, drive you crazy, or make you doubt yourself and your ability? No. You have done all of these things to me and more, and to think, I actually tried to understand you. I even told myself that you were probably good for my imagination and creativity. I am disgusted with myself for making excuses for you! All you have ever done is hurt me. My friends and family never liked you. They don't know where you come from or what you're about and that always concerned them. I should have listened to them in the first place, because I don't even know you. You are liar. I've had enough of you putting me down all the time and telling me to give up on my dreams. You aren't even good looking. If you had any personality at all, that might make up for some of your faults, but you don't. All I see in my head when I think of you, is a big, blank wall. I constantly hear your annoying, grating voice in my ears, saying I'm not good enough. Well, no more. You can go to hell. Furthermore, you have distracted me from what is important. You have kept me up nights. You have made my days overcast with the depression of your presence. You have made me cry and want to quit. I have spent hours and days and weeks trying to compromise with you and justify our relationship with everyone that knows and cares about me. I am beyond tired of this and I can't, I won't, do this anymore. I want you out of my life forever. Do not try to contact me in any way. No phone calls, no texting, no e-mails, no letters. Don't come to my home anymore. Don't call my friends, my family, or my place of work. You've almost gotten me fired twice already. My wife knows about you and has forgiven me. You can't threaten me with that any longer. I am serious. You should be served with the no-contact order shortly.

Yours no more,
Dan
P.S. You owe me money.

loganatr
Private E-1

Postby loganatr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 am

Dear Writer's Block,

It's not you, it's me. I just have too many thoughts and too much to do to let some snotty little jerk like you push me around. When I sit down in front of my computer determined to write, I write!

And sure, I know you thought you were cute, coming back at knotty, difficult-to-plot points in my last novel- great of you to show up just then, by the way, really high-hearted on your part- but I just won't stand for it. With a little help from my friends, Left and Right brain, and a steady dosage of meditation and keeping calm, we soon parted ways, and I think we can agree that it's for the best.

I haven't been able to attain that restraining order I promised you, inasmuch as its difficult to prove any malicious intent, and also inasmuch as I haven't actually gone into a courthouse and asked for a restraining order against you, so I don't really know what the parameters of restraining orders are, or really, how to attain them per se; but one day, I know for a fact that you will be gone. All of your manifestations.

Because sometimes I feel you when there's a really simple thought I keep trying to write around, either because it's too painful; or too difficult to write out. I'll start by trying to demonstrate in a couple of sentences, how I knew for certain that my friend was lying before he said anything; and wasn't all that put out at the lie, of course, it wasn't even really a thought, at all, just an awareness of the indubitable fact; but at the same time was angry because I thought his discomfort was so obvious that the idiot we keep around caught on and was going to try taking credit for everything that we'd been plainclothes hiding from him for a long time, that veritable wellspring of relaxation away from everything crude and stupid that our lives generally entailed, and which was poised to bring us lasting success and happiness, and the society of intelligent and tasteful people; I'll start trying to demonstrate that thought, and then realize that it might not be an easy fit into the story line I've started; and that maybe I need to limit my scope even more; but all the same, sometimes I feel like I need to take shots at the big thoughts, just the way I have them right now all the same. So you're kind of a seductress, a confusion, and you've definitely beguiled me on a number of occasions, took the ground right out from under me. I blame you, I really do. It's not me or just the world. It's you!

So forget what I said when I started this piece. The world isn't a complicated place- it's you and your stupid tendency to not ennoble any thought I might have, coherently and lucidly.

Damn, you make me so mad sometimes!

drkarin729
Private E-1

Postby drkarin729 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Dear Writer's Block,

Please listen as this will be tough to hear. You may think you have taken my creativity, but alas, you haven't. Tis' true you broke up writing and I for quite some time. It was a dry spell to be sure! But we have found each other again. You can never break up true love for very long.

Block, I have given much thought to the reasons you broke my love and I apart and why you entered my life. I wondered what precisely was your purpose? I just want you to know, that I have since discovered your purpose, Mr. Block and I must say, quite sneaky indeed. However, you see, when you weren't looking, I was cheating on you. YES, cheating! I said this would be tough to hear.

When your head was turned, I was in my flower garden painting beautiful poetry with colors and shapes of all kinds. I was in my vegetable garden growing lyrics for songs soon to be sung in my kitchen. While in that kitchen, I was cooking up words to be devoured. I know you thought I was all yours and you may feel deceived. For that, I apologize.

Sorry you had to learn the truth about our relationship, but I felt it was time to let you know that it is over. You gave it your best turn and now it is time for you step aside. Please don't feel that this is the complete end. I am sure I will see you from time to time, but for now our love relationship is over and it is time we part as friends.

Au Revoir,

Karin

mdcoit9
Private E-1

Re: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby mdcoit9 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:15 am

Dear Writer's Block,

It's not you, it's me. Yeah, this is very awkward. Um, well, here goes. YOU SUCK! I'm leaving you for your brother, Inspiration. Oh don't be surprised, you knew what was going on. The late nights, ink on my shirt, I mean I reeked of fresh paper and the crumbled notes on the floor. I mean dude, are you blind? Okay, that's a dumb question, you're a block, duh! Oh well, don't write. Oops, sorry, you can't do that either! I tell ya, I just ca't seen to gey my foot out of your ash! D'oh well, you'll get over it. I mean afterall, you're solid right? Oops, I did it again. You know, I think I'm just gonna end the letter here, I mean I'm just being insensitive. Dueces!

glennlyvers
Private E-1

Postby glennlyvers » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:39 am

Writers block goodbye
I write Haiku to break free
You are not welcome

Trissa
Private E-2

Postby Trissa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 am

Dear Writer's Block:

It's not you, it's me. Wait a minute...that's being too nice.

Why should I try to be nice to someone who doesn't give a rat's "patoot" about me or my feelings? You know how I have struggled against you. With every insult I hurl at you, you seem to soak it in. Everything I throw at you bounces back at me, driving me deeper and deeper into that writer's black hole.

You were sneaky. I don't remember the day you came into my house, but one day I looked up from my coffee and there you were. I'm not sure why I ever allowed you to stay this long. You aren't attractive, you have no sense of humor, you don't lift a finger to help around the house. And quite frankly...you stink. I hate it when you stand in front of my glimmers of hope. You stand before my ideas and cloud them with your doubts and negative comments. "Maybe this character isn't right for you," or "No...you don't want him to say that." Why have I been listening to you instead of myself?

I'm throwing the curtains wide open...opening all my doors to every room in my mind. It's time for spring cleaning and the first bag of garbage I'm dragging to the curb is you!

Just saying the words and putting them on paper has set me free. There will be no tears, no sad good-byes as you go. And if you ever try to show up again, I'll know better. I'll have my characters at my side as well as my supportive friends. United we will beat you back into that dark oblivion where you belong.

Au revoir, hasta la vista, auf vee-der-bye-bye. And don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

anyuta34i
Private E-1

Postby anyuta34i » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm

stress 8 relievers are ways that people have used as stress management techniques. The stress balls are small round balls filled with beads or other squeezable material that you can squeeze. The method may sound silly but many people swear by these stress relievers because the squeezing motion affects not only your hand

annermation11
Private E-1

Postby annermation11 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:10 am

Dear Writer’s block,

We’ve been together for years, ever since I began to learn the art of creating words on paper. You’ve been there with me as I’ve tried desperately to spill out in vivid and flawless language the emotion held within. You’ve stood near me as I have completed school papers, in full knowledge that the ideas flowing inside my head were not expressed to my greatest ability. Often, life events would strike the writer’s bone in me, and you’d be by my side as I told myself not to have the audacity to believe I’d ever be good enough to succeed. I’d stop myself before I’d even begin to put pen to paper. Any talent I’d feel while writing would be fleeting, but you’d always be somewhere nearby. During the past few years, many a time I’d sit and wait for the words to come, but they simply never did. You have never left my side. You have worked hard to maintain our bond. But this relationship cannot continue.

This is when I’m supposed to use the cliché line that it “wasn’t you, it was me.” This line is almost invariably untrue, and is usually meant to protect the feelings of the other person. Bluntly, I don’t care about protecting anything of yours, and most definitely not your feelings. In fact, I’m prepared to relate every complaint I’ve ever had about you since we started off together. I can honestly say you’d do everyone a favor by dropping off the face of the planet. I wish others the best of luck when dealing with you. Myself, and everyone else who has been in a relationship with you, can agree that we are sick of you for the following reasons.

You are controlling.
You never let me have any freedom at all. I’d be fully ready to write an amazing story, and you wouldn’t let me do it. You haven’t allowed me to accomplish any of the dreams I’ve had about writing.
You’d rather see me sit in front of a blank screen suffering, unable to come up with the right words.

You never give me space. A good relationship requires a healthy amount of space away from the other person. You didn’t give me any space! I was constantly overwhelmed by my inability to write.

You are always there for me. You never once made a motion to leave when I needed you least. The more I attempted to ignore your pushy self, the more you pushed.

You are never late. You were always there just in time to ruin a paper.

You are abusive. Not only would you hold back the words from my fingertips, but you’d insult my every effort. Nothing was ever good enough for you, and you’d tell me I was a horrible writer every time I’d even think of writing.

And to make matters worse…

You aren’t even faithful. You have messed around with so many other aspiring writers I have lost count. It’s disgusting how much good writing you have prevented over the years.
With all these things being said, this relationship is over. I beg of you to please think about what you’re doing. You’ve hurt enough people. Don’t you think it’s about time you just…die?

The girl you never loved,

Anna K. Lacey

sawhitman
Private E-1

Postby sawhitman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Dear Writer's Block,
It's not you, it's me,
It's your boring personality
With you I can't seem to find a word
To make this engine, my brain, purr.
With you, I seem to be stuck
in this neverending rut
The words, common and plain
Keeps evoking this pain
Its always grey, not color
So, there's the door!
I do agree
The issue is with me
For awhile ago
I should have said no.
Yes, this is goodbye
Please don't cry.
I won't miss you,
Stephanie

Jennajaye
Private E-1

Postby Jennajaye » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Dear Writer's Block,
It's not you, it's me. We ahve benn througi so many arrguments, quirls, and disagreements that I think it's time for us to part. I found somone else. They give me ideas and I never get frusturated with him. I am very sorry, but the clock was ticking for when I was finally going to break up with you. I hope that we will never see each other because of what you've done to me.
Your old partner,
J. Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges