Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
nownownow
Private E-1

RE: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby nownownow » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Dear Writer’s Block,
It’s not you, it’s me. I have recently had my heart swept up by someone new and I just can’t get him out of my head. He’s the most amazing thing in the world and even just the thought of him makes my heart start beating erratically. You don’t know him, I don’t think you two would get along very well, his name is Inspiration. He’s an old friend of mine and we used to be very close until you came into the picture. Last night he walked into my life again while I was just sitting outside by the fire minding my own business. He came and started whispering these ideas we once shared, and the dreams I once had. He showed me the part of me I’ve lost since I’ve been with you. It hurt me in a way that you can’t understand. To know there was a part of me that I’d lost without even knowing it. Then to see it there in front of me in all its glory, so willing to come back and be a part of me again, it was the happiest I’ve felt in a long time. Then when he pushed that part back into my heart and held me in his arms it was…simply wow. It’s as if we have never been apart and no time has passed from the last time he murmured sweet thoughts into my head.

Let me make this clear, you did nothing wrong. I loved all the time we shared laying in my bed doing nothing. It was great! But for a long time now, I have felt I needed something more, and chance have it, last night I found it.( Or it found me, not sure which yet. ) But whatever it was I have to run with it.

I’m sorry. Peace, love and sauerkraut.

rComplex
Private E-1

Re: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby rComplex » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:11 am

Dear Writer’s Block,
It’s not you, it’s me.
I can no longer suffer the bright white stain of the page. I inscribe it with comforting shapes and doodles to make it belong to me, but you know nothing of this voodoo magic, do you? No borders or boundaries to keep you at bay. Why do you want to keep the empty silence for yourself and guard it against the whispered shuffle of my pen? I have never made demands of you. I have accepted you as what you are, shadow of my broken-hearted Muse who listened to your lies and left with my impotent ideas streaming down her face. I did nothing, let you own me, troubled deaf heaven and cried pity but never once accepted what has been staring out from that mirrored whiteness.
It’s me. Not you.
You cannot change. You can’t imagine a future. You can’t want or need or desire. I can. I do. There is a future without you and I can make that happen. I will incubate my ideas inside your blank page to emerge like baby spiders that feed on tiny scraps and learn to spin. Writing is change and growth and direction and the tighter you try to hold it, the more it slips away. Like love and sanity.
I will go back to my Muse, wipe the tears from her face, and paint your void with sound.

HiddenSilhouette
Private E-1

Postby HiddenSilhouette » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Dear Writer’s Block,

It’s not you, it’s me. It’s me occasionally typing away through social networks on my laptop and listening to the latest crazed music day after day. There’s nothing but a wimpy molecule trying to spark out something but failing miserably in my brain. I try to glance at every object around the house to get at least get my writing skills into action. However, the pages are blank and lifeless when we're together.

I know we’ve come a long way ever since elementary days; the times when I wrote about slaying dragons and princesses being protected by their knights of shining armor. But now since I gained more knowledge through the harsh days of junior high, and almost through high school most definitely, there comes a time when I have to give up on you.

Please don’t get upset when you read this Writer’s Block. I can’t deal with it anymore. I should be thinking about writing more stories, more inspiration if I want to achieve my dream of becoming an author! And you’re not giving me that.

I’m sorry. We need to move on with our lives and hopefully we’ll find what we’re both looking for: Acceptance. Your block may be fragile to break, but you can always pick up the pieces and try again.

Take care,
The Teenage Girl with Dreams

Live4God
Private E-1

Postby Live4God » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:16 am

Dear Writer's block.
It's not you, it's me. I am impatient. I know you told me to wait but I just couldn't. At first you were great to look at other careers maybe I could look at as a freshman in high school. Later on it was more brainwashing that there were better things I could do for a living besides writing. You also were great when it came to writing for school because I could use you as an excuse and say I had you with me so it was hard to do my assignment. (Which wasn't bad at the time) I just can't go on like this any more. Don't take it personaly,please don't. I am sorry to say this but I am going back to writing. There is just somthing about writing that makes me go wild! I am sorry writer's block but I am dumping you!

Sincerely,
A lover of writing!!! :) :emoticon:

Live4God
Private E-1

Postby Live4God » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:17 am

Ha ha I liked your post!

Shakspeare
Private E-1

Postby Shakspeare » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:24 am

Dear Writer's Block,
It's not you, it's me. I just get to frustrated at you for giving me a headache. You know there have been good times, when I have been able to over come you, but other times, I just want to kill you. I'm sorry for dragging this on, when I knew in the end that it wouldn't work. I'm just not your type. You need to hook up with a bad comedian, so maybe they won't write anymore bad jokes. You will be happier with someone else. I;m sorry, but it's time your out of my brain.

Billy Moon
Private E-1

Postby Billy Moon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Dear Writer's Block,

It's not you, it's me. All this time, I have enjoyed your company. Because of you, I learned to play online games, Facebook, and chat incessantly with friends I often see personally anyway. It's not your fault that you are irresistible.

But, all good things must come to an end, and so it is with our relationship. I woke up today to the reality that I've lost a good many opportunities because I have allowed you to defeat my writing goals. The silly and fun things we do have to make way for serious goals I should have accomplished a long time ago had I not allowed myself to be influenced by you too much. I hate to have to say this, but my mother was right about you.

To stop myself from changing my mind, I packed your bags for you. And as a show of determination, I threw them out the window. The stuff you see splattered outside the apartment building are yours. I'm very sorry it has to end like this. But you see, even writing this letter has taken me a long time. You still have a lingering effect on me.

I know you'll meet somebody else. I only hope that person won't be as overcome by your charm as I was. If there is anything I've learned about you, it is that you are like coffee, a little bit of you is good, but too much can also be dangerous. Before I knew it, you've become like a habit - hard to break.

So, this is it. I wish you finally find the right one for you, the kind who will be able to keep you at bay. Good luck to him.

Goodbye to you,
Billy

Riverspirit
Private E-1

Postby Riverspirit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:59 am

Dear Writer's Block,

It's not you, it's me. It's important to me that you understand that so we can both move forward. I realize through time you have always been a dedicated and loyal friend. However, I have come to a point in my life where our relationship has become more of a hostage situation. It no longer serves a purpose considering my new goals in life. There was a time when "just dreaming" about writing served me well. Your being there was a blessing because it helped me stay in that state of mind. Today, I'm choosing to do more than just dream about being a writer. I'm ready for the words to flow and my creativity to take form.

It is time we part our ways. I know how difficult this may be for you, and for me. With any change, even positive change, there is often grieving involved and the desire to hold on to what was familiar. But if I'm to move forward, and I choose to move forward, then I must release you and set you free, forever! Now, you might balk and try to convince me to let you stay....reminding me of the good times, when it was just you and me. And I imagine if you did so, I would be tempted to continue with our relationship. But I know in my heart that eventually, I would come to the same conclusion. I would eventually end up hating you and resent you for holding on, for holding me hostage. So I urge you to come to peace with my decision and move on, for both our sakes.

Before I go, I want you to know something. I don't regret my relationship with you. You stood by me no matter what, and I thank you for that. You have the patience and loyalty of a saint. I remember all those late nights when you where right there with me staring at the screen for hours. If it weren't for you, I may have been doing other things besides trying to write. So for that, I am grateful to you. You served your purpose well with me in the past, but I feel in my heart that our relationship wasn't meant to continue forever. It was just for a season and now it's time for me to go.

Good bye old friend,
Julia

prking01
Private E-1

Postby prking01 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Dear Writer's Block,

It's not you, it's me. In ten short months from now I will be reaching a milestone age. I will be 40 years old. I don't want to reach that milestone in my life without accomplishing something worthwhile and meaningful to my existence. I want to turn 40 with the satisfaction of knowing I completed the novel I've been working on for the past four years.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to hurt you because you have always been there for me. Everytime I sat down at my desk you were right beside me. You encouraged me to rethink my plot, my characters, and the tone in which I wrote. You devoted all of your time to help me second guess every word I wrote. Without you I wouldn't be where I am today. You never let me down.

We had so much fun together. Instead of spending countless hours writing and rewriting you helped me loosen up. Do you remember all the nights we sat on the couch eating popcorn and watching old movies? Everytime I played Solitaire on the computer I never felt alone. You, my friend, were right there with me.

Looking back I realize that if I had written more instead of allowing myself to become sidetracked I probably would have finished my novel by now. Who knows? Maybe I would be a famous author with more money than I know what to do with. Then again, I wouldn't have been blessed with our time together.

Now that I'm almost 40, I realize things must change in my life. I have bills to pay and children to feed. My grown up responsibilities mean that it's time for me to get to work. Please don't cry. Saying goodbye to you is hard enough on me without seeing you suffer. I'm sure there will be times when we get together again, but those times must be brief. It's time for both of us to move on. I'm sure you'll get over me eventually. Perhaps you'll find a new friend or revisit an old friend. I don't think you've seen Stephen King for awhile, have you?

Goodbye my friend. I must go now. Success is knocking on my door.

Best Wishes,
Pam

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Re: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby KarenRankowitz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:57 am

Dear writer's block, it's not you it's me

Tear stained parchment, my pen hard pressed
Longing to engage,
With callous judgment, my words are forced
Scrawled upon a page

What echoed, only ramblings