Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:21 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:21 am

It's time for you and Writer's Block to part ways. Write a letter breaking up with Writer's Block, starting out with, "Dear Writer's Block, it's not you, it's me ... ."

You can post your response (500 words or fewer) here.

eternoxamante
Private E-1

Re: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby eternoxamante » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:14 am

Dear Writer’s Block,

It’s not you, it’s me. I know that we’ve had a long, long relationship together, and quite frankly it wasn’t even very pleasant. Our relationship consisted of my wanting to slap myself silly, you beating my brain until it was mush, my helping a friend write a story about a crocodile who is madly in love with a human, and you’re spreading to the countless people around me. You’re nothing but a parasite, and as much fun as we had watching the countless reruns of Degrassi while I sat on the couch and wished that I could find the brain capacity to work on something worth while. My friends are telling me that I shouldn’t be this pleasant with you, and quite frankly I’m considering cursing you out. But I’m a lady, and ladies don’t lose their cool with someone as… incompetent as you are. So, now that I think about it, it’s totally not me. It’s completely and utterly your fault that I have to say this:

You and I are through. Don’t call me, don’t text me, and don’t join me next time I’m on the couch. We’re over.

No Longer Under Your Spell,
Lena

DebGallardo
Private E-1

RE: Breaking Up With Writer's Block - 1/26

Postby DebGallardo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:23 am

Dear Writer's Block,

It's not you, it's me.

It's about the way I feel so incompetent whenever you turn up unexpectedly and everything comes to a screeching halt. It's about all the hours I waste playing mindless computer games, trying to forget what your presence has done to my productivity.

It's the dread that I'll never have another original thought again, not one spark of inspiration, not a single story idea. It's the horrible silence inside my head where characters should be clamoring for my attention.

It's the pitying looks from writer friends and the snide remarks from relatives bent on tearing me down so they'll feel better about their own pathetic lives.

I just can't stand to be around you anymore. It's as bad as if you hadn't bathed or brushed your teeth or changed your clothes in a month. I'm tired of your toxic personality and your noxious manipulation.

As of this moment I am throwing you out of my life so I can get mine back!

You'll find all the little things you've left around here tossed out at the front curb. I've had the locks changed, Writer's Block, and you can no longer get in.

It's no longer "us." It's just me now. No apologies. No excuses. No guilt.

Consider yourself deleted.

You betcha!

briteyez_pp
Private E-1

Postby briteyez_pp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:42 am

January 26, 2010

Dear Writer’s Block

It’s not you, it’s me. I can no longer deal with this back and forth relationship we have. Like pieces of a puzzle, we’ve become soggy and swelled with pride and we no longer fit, at least not into a sensible element. The late night standoffs are starting to take a toll on us – on me. Weary is not a good look to fashion. And the lack of satisfaction at fulfillment leaves me hungry. So much in fact, it’s hard to walk the path of fidelity with you. Many avenues appear in my sight and I beg you to forgive me for being weak amongst temptation. Forces outside me tease my senses. Just a taste or a mere touch and I’m addicted.
Don’t take me wrong, our time together has been animated. At times fighting with you gave me drive. The adrenaline rush afterwards would come up on me out of no where. Lately though, it has given me pause. Our fighting for the sake of dominance and submission has changed to something else entirely. Your pugnacious tendencies have escalated. I wish I could say I didn’t see it coming. But why lie now? No I don’t blame you. I blame myself for ignoring the signs. I hold myself responsible for allowing you to propel me into the direction opposite I’m striving to go. It was as they say, “all fun and games” until the fun suffered a drought and realization came pouring in. Neither one of us was looking out for the other, a valid requirement for a stable relationship. When you’ve had enough, when you’re really finished, you get out any way you can. I’ve stayed for as long as I could, but I am no longer able to evade the harsh blows you deal out. I’m no longer able to detach the emotional from the physical, the physical from the mental and so on.
The repercussions are showing in various aspects of my life. It’s not just a private matter anymore. Others can see the result of my dealings with you and this is something I am not comfortable with. Let’s end this where it stands.

Sincerely,

Self Promoter

Minina64
Private E-1

Postby Minina64 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 am

To: Writer’s Block
Distinguished Sir,
Yes you are the man to me, because I am a woman. You could only be a man, because only a man could stand in my path as steadfast as you did, tower over me and look down on me, keeping me feeling so small, helpless and useless. You made me doubt the very core of my ambition and you never showed me mercy. But today is a brand new day. Funny how it happens like that sometimes, you wake up and everything that was difficult in the past is now easy.
Today is my day and although I can say that I am over you forever, right now I am doing fine without you. I know how sweet it was to fall into your arms and blame you for everything, let you carry me around and pretend that you would shelter me from the world. After all, one can never truly walk away from someone one has been with no after thoughts. The important thing is that for now you don’t control my thoughts.
Even as I celebrate your departure my happiness in your leaving is bittersweet. I miss you already. I miss the solitude you provided, the stunning silence, the racing thoughts that just wouldn’t make sense on paper; the awkwardness on being at a lack of words and without resources for my personal expression. And above the futile sensation of “nobody is ever going to get me!”, or was that you saying it over and over to me so that I wouldn’t write, so that I would e your prisoner forever?
Yet you were not exclusively mine. As you lose me I know you gain other. Even when you were with me you pollinated other flowers with your sterile seed. There is no doubt that you have possibly hundreds of prisoners of your charms. I hope some of them will be so lucky as to break up with you as I have, because the joy and happiness that I now feel should be felt by everyone. The world would be a better place if we were all happy and communicative and “with it” at some point or another.
Not yours (for now)
NIM Belle

dariyon2k1
Private E-1

Postby dariyon2k1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Dear writer's block,

It's not you it's me. Our relationship started as a rebound fling and as time passed it became harder and harder to part because of the way you made me feel. I was able to relax and let go of reality for months, and my mind was able to excape from the chaotic yet creative work that was before me. The vacation that we took together was amazing and well worth every second. However it is over. I have to get back to work and focus again. It is who I am. I am a writer and duty calls. I am not trying to hurt you, but the longer I stay with you, the more I end up hurting my career and Myself. I think it's best if we just cut it off right now. I apologize and I hope that you are able to come back from this break-up.

faith1110
Private E-1

Postby faith1110 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 pm

"Dear Writer's Block, it's not you, it's me ... ."

"Pull the other one" I hear you say. But I've tried that. Our relationship might be onesided, but it's intimate enough to allow some soul-searching on the lines of "Why me?"
The major consideration is what purpose you serve, and to be truthful, I have to admit that you are an instrument of considerable force to be reckoned with, a force that can serve a useful purpose by defeating banalities and the like when they threaten to pose as genuine invention.
You are neither the queen of the night nor one of hell's angels. In fact, darkness seems to dispell you more often or not. But in the glare of daylight, when that pristine white screen glares at me, I can almost see your scorching curses burning through to me, daring me to obliterate them with a verse or worse.
I'll write an ode I say. The hell you will, you reply. I'll drown you in a pool of epithets, I declare. You'll stick to your tedious trade, you deride. What trade? Pen-pushing? Key-stabbing?
I'll give up writing voluntarily, then you can stop pestering me.
But is that what you really want me to do, Mr/Ms Writer's Block?
What purpose does a prompt do that results in such a devastating decision?
April, April.
Find some other joker to haunt.

Taddy
Private E-1

Postby Taddy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:42 pm

Dear Writer’s Block,

It’s not you. It’s me. Wait a minute… This is ridiculous: it IS you. I never invited you in, I never asked you to stay, I tried everything I could to politely encourage you to leave and find a better place. I even tried to ignore you and sat at my table, writing away while you were breathing down my neck your fetid, cold breath, poking me in the ribs, pulling the hair behind my ears. Enough already. There is nothing about your that I like, and I don’t have any time, space, or energy left for you. Yes, I am looking at you now, and I am not afraid. I don’t want any of your pathetic tantrums to keep me from my work. Who ever heard of demanding clean window sills in January when the windows are frozen shut? And what is with HGTV that you always want it on?

And I have to tell you: I have met somebody else. Oh sure, he doesn’t have your devilish charm; he even looks austere at first. But contrary to you, he genuinely finds joy in my accomplishments, holds my hand when I sit at my desk, and embraces me tenderly when I write. The more time we spend together, the more committed we are to each other. He is the real thing and I know it. His name is Writer’s Routine.

Now, get out of my life.

Taddy

lindalou2008
Private E-1

Postby lindalou2008 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Dear Writer's Block, it's not you, it's me. My therapist says I should embrace this impasse to discover the real reason I have allowed this to continue. He says it is because there is unfulfilment in my life that I have yet to overcome and if I would but embrace this embarrassing relationship that I might find I don’t need you anymore.
I need to delve inside and discard the depression, the resentment, the emptiness you have wrought within my soul. He laughed at me and said I should discover a good book to take my mind away from the loneliness I feel in your presence. Perhaps in reading a literary work I will reignite the flaming, creative passion that lies silently inside my soul.
Yes, I do believe my therapist has a point. My characters could benefit from some soul searching and this indeed would strengthen the story. It may even provide it more depth and clarity and even believability.
So it is without regret, I do send you this letter to explain my reason for leaving you outside on such a cold, snowy day. I have discovered the warm fire, glowing brightly within me and I have a date with my keyboard. Good bye, my treacherous friend.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges