Amnesia and the Igloo 10/21-10/27

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
romancemom
Private E-1

RE: Amnesia and the Igloo 10/21-10/27

Postby romancemom » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:40 pm

The eyes stared back at me, unblinking and waxen. Their lifeless face was quite familiar to me. Joan Carlson, my neighbor. I had shared a cup of tea with her this very afternoon. Why was she lying next to me in this, I looked around, this ice fort? Wait a minute, what day was it? I looked down at my watch, but I wasn't wearing it. Frantically, I checked my pockets. Something hard and cold with paper stuck to it. I pulled it out and held it in my palm. Some dollar bills and a rock. I turned the money over and quickly took in a breath. Blood. Blood and hair. No, please don't let it be. I pulled Mrs. Carlson's body over and saw that it was so. There was a trail of her blood that led out of the ice fort and to the open trunk of my car. My worst fears had been realized. Then I reached into my other pocket. My toothbrush. Last night I brushed my teeth and then I--oh my God! I took that new sleeping pill!

rooptastic
Private E-1

Postby rooptastic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:51 pm

[QUOTE]Brian - 2008-10-21 1:11 PM

You awaken with amnesia in what looks to be an igloo. You have $4 and a rock in one pocket, and a toothbrush in the other. Someone is staring at you. Write this scene.

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

v.woolfe
Private E-1

Postby v.woolfe » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:38 am

Slowly, Keith regained consciousness. His vision, at first cloudy, began to clear. He could only see white and his body felt strangely cold. He strained his eyes and perceived that the roof above him was rounded. As he slowly brought himself to a sitting position, hitting his head on the roof in the process, he saw that he was somehow enclosed in a dome, all white.

“What the heck…” he muttered. And why was it so cold? He was still only in jeans and a T-shirt. He noticed the small entrance to the dome.

Wait a second…Was this an igloo?! He looked at the proportions of it again and that was the only thing it could be. How did he end up here? Where was the blasted igloo in the first place?

As he shifted his body to crawl out, he felt something jab against his hip. He stopped, reached into his pocket and pulled out a toothbrush. He stared at it blankly for a minute before reaching into his other pocket. There he found a rock and four $1 bills. Man, what had happened last night?

Keith kept the articles in his hands as he crawled out of his icy prison, keeping his head down. He saw snow. He stood, still looking at the ground and turned back. Yep. It was an igloo all right.

Then he heard some strange sounds, like the cawing of a bird. He finally looked around him to see that he was surrounded by penguins. All kinds of penguins.

A strangled cry escaped his lips as he took a step back and nearly dropped everything in his hands.

Then he looked past the penguins. There was some more ice, then some water, then a vertical sheet of glass. There was a woman with her son behind the glass, staring at him mouth agape.

Then it hit him. He was in the bloody zoo!

Keith and the stranger stared at each other for quite a while before she edged away, presumably to find a security officer.

And so Keith kept standing there, in the fake snow, in front of the cheesy fake igloo surrounded by the very real penguins.

How had he come here?

After looking intently at the articles in his hands, the whole night before came back to him.

He and his friends had all been partying again. All of them had drunk too much, though that was never the intention. Then Keith’s brother, Trevor, who was a groundskeeper at this zoo, gave him a dare that he couldn’t stay the night in the penguin habitat. Naturally, Keith took it. He was in such a good mood that he paid for the last round of drinks and the $4 was his change. The group had discussed the precautions that he should take, and another friend had picked up a rock in the parking lot and said that Keith should throw it at a penguin if it tried to eat him. Someone else had run down the street to a drugstore to by him a toothbrush so he could be nice and fresh in the morning.

It had all made so much sense at the time…

A door in the habitat opened and a large security guard appeared. With some resignation, Keith carefully made his way through the penguins over to him. The guard pulled him roughly through the door.

“You’ve got a lot of explainin’ to do, buddy.”

Indeed he did. He was going to kill Trevor when and if he got home.

vsanford
Private E-1

Re: Amnesia and the Igloo 10/21-10/27

Postby vsanford » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:23 pm

The wind whipped across the frozen plain, driving gusts of cold that pulled the breath right out of your lungs. Still, the trip across the divide had been an easy run. He could just make out the lights of Noble through the drifting snow. Eager to reach shelter and their nightly reward for a good days work, the sled team set up a baying clamor that echoed against the icy buildings and announced to everyone that Marcus was back in town.
Haw, Lady my girl, pull up now boys. There will be time enough for dinner once I drop my load. He grinned and muttered to himself. “Then back to the Twisted Sisters for dinner and a few shots of redeye.” Tossing two big bags across his shoulder he half walked, half slid his way inside the tiny store.
“Yo Jake, Got your stuff. Where you want it?”
“Just drop it anywhere. You in town long?”
“Just tonight, then back to the mines. But tonight I’m celebrating. I finally hit it big. Join me?”
“I don’t know Marcus. Last time I sat down to share a few with you it cost me a weeks’ in jail. I don’t know if I can afford it.”
“Whupped, that what you are. That wife of yours needs to cut the strings.” He said with a cutting motion across his groin.
“Yeah, but she’d only make a noose out of em if she did. Stop in tomorrow before you leave. Want you to meet somebody.
The sisters was jumping for a back county dive in the middle of nowhere. Marcus nodded to a familiar face or two, then bellied up to the bar.
“Double Black Jack, straight up and keep um coming.”
He winked at the new girl; then tossed two crisp fifties onto the counter. She didn’t answer, just smiled, counted out his change and placed a rock on top of the bills...

He awoke, wrapping his fingers through her long ..wet..fur? Huh? The dog’s igloo? How I get here? Puzzled, Marcus started going over things in his mind. …Drinking .....that new bartender. The one with the big…, Damn it! Was it OK? He ran his hand down his pants. Thank god, the bag was still here. But something was wrong. Fearing the worst he hastily untied the small leather bag then shook out the contents into his hand. Four crisp one dollar bills, a small black rock and a rolled up piece of paper. Sure enough, it was gone. Everything he had mined in the last six months.
Felling sick he scanned the notes contents. It was simple and straight to the point.
Dear new husband of mine,
Hope the ice helped your headache. You passed out afterwards. Judge thought it a hoot to see you finally hitched. I’m at Jake and Nan’s sewing your apron. Nan’s helping get the strings real tight. My sis is helpful like that. Figure you want need so much money now. Hurry home. Love, Jan

Dan Singman
Private E-1

Postby Dan Singman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:35 am

“Well, you gonna pay up?” The midget glared at me, put his mitts on his hips, and paced back and forth. The snow suit, probably a child’s size twelve, was too large and it rustled when he walked.

“How much again?” I said, hoping to buy time until the fog in my head lifted.

“Four bucks.”

An oil lamp lit the ice room with a flickering strobe. I could see that we were the only two here, but couldn’t quite remember why.

“Sorry, I just can’t recall why I wanted it. Did I happen to say?”

“Look, if you don’t want it, just give me the damn rock back. I got another show at three and I can’t stand around here all day.”

A voice from the portal interrrupted us. “Hello, anyone home?”

A toothy grin appeared at the opening followed by, and attached to a man on all fours. He thrust out a hand to the midget. The midget stuck a mit, palm-up in the big face, and the visitor quickly deposited a flyer in it. He then reached in, grabbed my hand, gave it two quick pumps, and turned back to the midget.

“Hello. Bob Edward, and I’m running for county commissioner. Have you thought about how you’ll vote next week?”

“Yeah - I won’t.”

Bob donned a mask of shock. “Won’t vote?”

“Nope.”

“The politician pursed his lips and shook his head. “Well then, I guess you can’t complain.”

“Hasn’t stopped me so far.”

Bob was uncomfortable down on all fours, and probably realized that the midget wasn’t letting him in.

“This new find will bring new people ... and money up here. We’ll need the right leaders to work it to our advantage.” The midget didn’t move and Bob started backing up, but stopped.

“Say, if either of you knows anyone with one of the rocks, I represent a client interested in a purchase.” Bob studied our faces in turn.

The midget looked at me, then answered. “Nope, but I’ll come see you if I do.”

Bob left and the midget resumed pacing. “Damned politicians - follow us around like a cloud of flies in election years. Circus life up north stinks bad enough without them.” He made another feeble stab at small talk then finally blurted out.

“Look professor. Just give me back the rock and we’re even. It’s still mine - we never closed the deal.” He had manuevered himself around the room and now stood with one hand on a harpoon hanging from a hook on the ice wall.

“Easy, easy. Just tell me what I said we we made the deal.”

“You said it might be from a meteor and you wanted to take it back to your lab. You scrubbed it with a toothbrush, then you said we should keep it in the country.” The midget pointed at me. That four dollars was just a deposit - this thing might be worth a lot more, and I want my piece of it.

Hero Jelani
Private E-1

Postby Hero Jelani » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:17 am

I opened my eyes and there she was, four feet in front of me staring at me. Her heavy winter clothing failed at hiding her beauty. The Igloo walls glowed with daylight seeping through them.
"Where am I?" I wondered out loud. She quickly replied in an unknown language. I moved towards the entrance but she blocked my path. She pointed at my head. I raised my hand and felt a warm wet bandage on my right temple. I felt something in my pocket and reached into it. It was a worn toothbrush. In the other pocket I found $4 and a rock. It all made sense! My memory came rushing back to me. I was part of a group of musicians who preformed rock concerts promoting brushing your teeth. I still couldn't recall how I received the head wound. I must have known it was coming if I prepared a reminder. My stomach ached with hunger. Drowsiness must have suppressed it. I needed food! The woman was looking away so I lurched towards the opening. I stepped out into the bright snowscape. I couldn't see anything but snow in every direction. I felt dizzy. Everything went black. I woke up and there she was, four feet in front of me staring into my eyes. "Where am I?" I wondered out loud...

Nora Grace
Private First Class

Postby Nora Grace » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:28 am

"Good heavens! You're chilled to the bone, me love! Where 'ave ya been?" I sat up groggily on one elbow, squinting at the old woman fussing at me a foreign accent. "I...um." "Don't you say a word until you're warm enough to look decent! Why did you stay outside so long?" "I opened my mouth again to answer, but she shouted," I said not to say a word!!" Clicking her tongue and muttering something about how stubborn some people could be, she walked over to a box in the corner, drawing out a blanket and a small satchel. "Now, unload your pockets into this bag, me love. And after your done, wrap up in this blanket, and just lay there and go to sleep until I come back with the broth." She scurried through the opening of the igloo and disappeared outside. I sat up and put my hand into my left pocket to retreive whatever was inside. I withdrew a large black stone and four crumpled $1 bills. I stared at them for a bit. While the money wasn't unusual, the rock was very. It was an ordinary rock: round, a few flecks of grey, a nick out of it on the left side. I slipped everything into the bag, and put my hand into my right pocket and brought out... a toothbrush. "What the world?!" Suddenly I felt very weak, and quickly slipped the toothbrush into the bag and wrapped up in the blanket. The last the I remember was the sound of the old woman screaming at someone in a foreign language before slipping off to sleep...

CelesteM
Private E-1

Postby CelesteM » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:36 pm

“Who are you?” I asked, feeling eyes upon me.

It was fairly warm in the small space that I observed to also be quite dim. There was only a small fire at the center and it lit shadows of unnerving shapes that threatened to come alive.

The being only smiled and nodded to my consciousness. He sat calmly in front of the fire, refusing to take his unblinking eyes from me.

My heart pounded and I felt chills all over my body. I looked away from the man’s eerie stare, trying to ignore it, but couldn’t. As I turned, I felt something hard jabbing into my flesh and let out a groan. I rubbed my side and realized the existing objects that hid in my pockets.

I sat up, rubbing my head and took a glimpse at the man that never took blue eyes off of me, then just as quickly turned away. He seemed to have a familiar presence and yet I felt fear to be near him. I kept my distance, crawling to the farther side of the igloo where the shadows played diligently.

I let out a breath, looking down, and my long, brunette hair covered my face. Digging inside my pockets, I found a toothbrush and a rock that was wrapped with multiple pieces of paper. I unfurled all the paper from the rock and looked closer at them, maybe hoping for them to be some sort of clue as to where I was and what I’d been doing here. No such luck. The evenly shaped bills were each a dollar and only consisting of four.

Four dollars, a rock, and a toothbrush. What was I supposed to do with those?

Suddenly, I heard the shuffling of a pair of feet and a cough. The man had stood up from where he was and was putting on another sweater and a jacket. Was he planning to leave? I hoped so!

He also took with him, with my wide-eyed surprise, a shiny, metal object that he nonchalantly held in his hand. I felt a twisting in my stomach as I recognized the danger I could be in.

The man saw my reaction to what I had just seen and chuckled. “Don’t worry,” he muttered. I expected for him to say something more. To tell me that it was just a toy, but he loaded the gun in front of me, inserting the bullets into the slots.

“What are you going to do!?”

I needed an answer. I needed to hear that he wasn’t going to use it. That hopefully, whoever this man was, he wasn’t a killer who would murder an innocent living creature, human or animal.

Like the first question I had asked earlier, he gave no answer. This frustrated me, but fear clogged my throat. I was much too afraid to say anything else that might make him use the weapon on me.

I felt my hands shaking. What was going to happen to me?

Mountain Dew
Private E-2

Postby Mountain Dew » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:56 pm

Shivering I finally open my eyes. I find myself in a dark space, its cold but I can hear the wind howling outside. All I can see is a creepy pair of yellow eyes staring malevolently back at me. I have concluded that I am in an igloo, but not my igloo, a very big, very temperamental cats igloo. Trying not to stir, I reach into my pocket and find a large rock. Its surprisingly light and I pull it out to examine it. I can’t remember why I am here or why the only things I have consists of four dollars, a toothbrush, and this rock. Sensing my fear the cat growls. Shivering, this time from fear, I pretend to be dead.

Finally after what felt like hours and hours of torture the cat go bored and left. Relieved I crawl out of the igloo and instantly go back in. it was snowing so hard and the wind was blowing so fast that I couldn’t see a thing. Crawling around the igloo I discovered a rusty old lamp and managed to ignite it using my rock and the sharpened end of my toothbrush (don’t ask me how that is even possible, it sounds nice thought doesn’t it?). I crumple two dollars up into tight balls and light them from the fire in my lamp. Money was useless at a time like this. I use this opportunity to slowly build a fire and was startled to find another being in this little igloo. Lifting my toothbrush in caution I slowly inch toward the motionless body. I poke it with my toothbrush and scream as a woman jumps to her feet after being woken.

We exchange tales and they are very similar. She woke up with amnesia and fell into a troubled sleep only to be poked into consciousness by my sharpened toothbrush. We devised an escape plan and waited for the storm to clear. After two full days of living on snow and bark, we hitchhiked our way to freedom and were reunited with family by the end of the fifth day. Our memory of how we arrived in the middle of the arctic when we lived in Georgia was never recovered. Once two perfect strangers, we became the very best of friends and discovered how much we really had in common. It was a strange friendship but it worked.  

Mallory
Private E-1

Postby Mallory » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:31 pm

I woke up in this big chunk of ice put together in all these big rectangles that could have been cinderblocks. In this strangley warm area, i find that something in my pocket is jabbing my leg with every movement. As i proceed to further ivestigation, i got this strange feeling all of a sudden, the feeling you get when you know someone is staring at you and you get this strange urge to punch them in the face. As i turn to face the opposite of my position, i find that a very strange looking, almost hobo like man has his eyes fixed on me from his stance in the doorway of what my thoughts found to be an igloo.
I didn't know who he was or who i was for that matter, which is why, by instinct, i reached into my pocket and pulled out what i hoped to be an army knife, but was disappointed to discover only a toothbrush and four american one dollar bills, not much of a help.
"who are you?" i said in a faint whisper, barely able to get the words out. The voice that came out sounded strange to me, not what i expected it to sound like. But what did i know? I didn't even have an identity for the time being. I was a nobody who couldn't even as much as remember who i was.
"who are you?" the voice at the doorway answered back. Of course with a question i couldn't as much as answer. He smirked and slowly strode over to where i was huddled in the furthest boundary of the circle.
"who are we all?" he breathed, suddenly grabbing my hand and dragging me out into the light falling snow. I took in my surroundings and tried to remember, with no avail, why I'd come to such a place. But the only thoughts i could gather were those of from the time i awoke up until the present.
"where are you taking me?" i asked my voice chilled and shaky as i tried to tug my hand away from the stranger. A long pause overtook the extreme cold. Not knowing what to do, with my free hand i took out the four dollar bills and the toothbrush that inhabited my left pocket. pressing the four bills up against my side, i folded them into a tight triangle, allowing my panic to get the best of me. With a bit of a struggle, i gripped the bills onto the end of the toothbrush, hoping to use it as a spear. with one last hard tug of the hand to capture the strangers attention so that he would turn and i would have an open shot to the pit of his neck, i shoved the makeshift weapon into his flesh and he fell to the ground,along with me, blood trickling from the corners of his lips, system shutting down with every passing second.

I awoke later, nearly frozen, in the exact same spot that i began. The same jabbing in my leg from the toothbrush, the same unawarness for who i was and who i used to be, and the same strange man staring at me from the entrance of the small ice block. I took on a different approach than before, but started yet again with a hint of curiosity.
"where are we?" I asked desperately as i inched my way closer to where my captor stood.
"In the third deminsion," he replied, grabbing my hand and dragging me out into the wretched cold, for the second, and never to be last time.
Oops, forgot about the rock...I slit his wrists with its jagged edges...good enough? oh, well

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges