Amnesia and the Igloo 10/21-10/27

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Rey Michaels
Private E-1

Re: Amnesia and the Igloo 10/21-10/27

Postby Rey Michaels » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:07 am

“What the Hell?” I asked her. “Who are you? And where am I?”
I backed away and pulled the animal furs over my bare torso. I looked around, not sure what to do next. There I was sitting, half naked in what seemed to be an igloo with a pretty young woman, but I had no idea who she was or how I had gotten there. She was staring at me and smiling, as if I amused her. Saying nothing, she handed me a tin cup with filled what smelled like strong, black coffee. I accepted eagerly, thinking that maybe the brew would help clear my head. As I sat drinking, I tried to remember the events that had landed me in this position, but I quickly realized that it was all gone. I knew my name and my birthday, but everything else was completely blank. Hanging on a rope near the ceiling were a pair of trousers and a heavy wool shirt. Assuming they were mine I grabbed them and got dressed. They were slightly wet, but I felt more comfortable.
“Good morning.” The beautiful Eskimo woman began.
She continued to stare, and in her eyes I could see concern, but with an underlying sense of whimsy.
“Uh, hello.”
“How are you feeling?”
“I don’t know.” I answered honestly.
“You had accident.”
“How?”
“You fall…from ship.”
A ship? What was I doing on a ship?
I noticed something sticking from the back pocket of my pants. It was a toothbrush. The bristles were covered with a thick black tar-like substance. I explored the rest of my pockets, hoping for a wallet or some other clue to the rest of my identity. The only thing I found was a small round rock and four singles. The rock had a smiley face painted on it. A gift…someone gave that to me. But who?
“Where are we?” I asked her.
“Alaska. In the north.” She looked puzzled. “You no remember?”
“No, I don’t. How did I get here?”
“Dogs found you. You lucky man. Very cold. We bring you back. Make you warm.”
“Thank-you. What’s your name?”
“Okena.”
“Jennifer gave me the rock.” I said out loud.
“Jennifer?”
Who was Jennifer? .
“I don’t know. She gave me the rock as a present.” It started to come back to me.
“Before I left on the ship. She’s….my daughter. We were cleaning up the oil…from the tanker that ran aground.”
“Oh, yes. Big mess. I see lots of dead animals. We can’t eat many fish.”
“I have to get to a phone.”
“No phone in the village. We can take sled. Two days.”
“Two days? It takes two days to get to a phone?”
“Yes.”
“You rest. We go tomorrow. Then you call family.”
I tried to remember if I had a family…a wife, more children; but there was nothing except for Jennifer.
“I bring you food. You rest.”
“Thank you, Okena.”
She smiled and took my hand.
“No, thank you.”
“For what?”
She didn’t answer.

Rey Michaels
Private E-1

Postby Rey Michaels » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:07 am

“What the Hell?” I asked her. “Who are you? And where am I?”
I backed away and pulled the animal furs over my bare torso. I looked around, not sure what to do next. There I was sitting, half naked in what seemed to be an igloo with a pretty young woman, but I had no idea who she was or how I had gotten there. She was staring at me and smiling, as if I amused her. Saying nothing, she handed me a tin cup with filled what smelled like strong, black coffee. I accepted eagerly, thinking that maybe the brew would help clear my head. As I sat drinking, I tried to remember the events that had landed me in this position, but I quickly realized that it was all gone. I knew my name and my birthday, but everything else was completely blank. Hanging on a rope near the ceiling were a pair of trousers and a heavy wool shirt. Assuming they were mine I grabbed them and got dressed. They were slightly wet, but I felt more comfortable.
“Good morning.” The beautiful Eskimo woman began.
She continued to stare, and in her eyes I could see concern, but with an underlying sense of whimsy.
“Uh, hello.”
“How are you feeling?”
“I don’t know.” I answered honestly.
“You had accident.”
“How?”
“You fall…from ship.”
A ship? What was I doing on a ship?
I noticed something sticking from the back pocket of my pants. It was a toothbrush. The bristles were covered with a thick black tar-like substance. I explored the rest of my pockets, hoping for a wallet or some other clue to the rest of my identity. The only thing I found was a small round rock and four singles. The rock had a smiley face painted on it. A gift…someone gave that to me. But who?
“Where are we?” I asked her.
“Alaska. In the north.” She looked puzzled. “You no remember?”
“No, I don’t. How did I get here?”
“Dogs found you. You lucky man. Very cold. We bring you back. Make you warm.”
“Thank-you. What’s your name?”
“Okena.”
“Jennifer gave me the rock.” I said out loud.
“Jennifer?”
Who was Jennifer? .
“I don’t know. She gave me the rock as a present.” It started to come back to me.
“Before I left on the ship. She’s….my daughter. We were cleaning up the oil…from the tanker that ran aground.”
“Oh, yes. Big mess. I see lots of dead animals. We can’t eat many fish.”
“I have to get to a phone.”
“No phone in the village. We can take sled. Two days.”
“Two days? It takes two days to get to a phone?”
“Yes.”
“You rest. We go tomorrow. Then you call family.”
I tried to remember if I had a family…a wife, more children; but there was nothing except for Jennifer.
“I bring you food. You rest.”
“Thank you, Okena.”
She smiled and took my hand.
“No, thank you.”
“For what?”
She didn’t answer.

mammamia1803
Private E-1

RE: Amnesia and the Igloo 10/21-10/27

Postby mammamia1803 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:25 am

I shivered and licked my lips, which were surprisingly coated in a thin layer of sweat despite the frigid conditions. I could've screamed.

"W--wher--where...." I attempted to ask the strange fellow staring at me for some information as to why I was there, but my throat was inredibly dry and I found myself involuntarily swallowing a lot. The man smiled. His teeth were yellowed and...was that a bit of meat stuck in his teeth? Blubber, perhaps? Yuck.

I stood. My legs were quivery and numb. Just a second ago, I was in the tour bus, taking me through the deserted tundra...how'd I end up OUTSIDE the vehicle, and in an igloo?

"Ublarorpok inuisertut!"

"What?" I managed to utter.

"Palartok!"

"Right...." I said slowly as I felt around in my pocket for my cell phone. It wasn't there.

"Ingiarsiwok, kangerpok!" the man said, gesturing to outside the igloo. There were two other people standing around a block of ice. I ducked out to see what they were up to.

"My cell phone!" I shrieked. They were pounding it with a hammer.

"Perpaluktok. Parangaitok!" the two said, and with the latter phrase they pointed to themselves.

"Wha...HELP!" I screamed, desperate to be rescued. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, I heard a voice. Speaking English.

"They heard the device make a noise and got nervous. Oh, and Kirkolupta--you can call him Kirk--" the newest man pointed to the first, "told you it's unusual to get up this early."

The four remained still, staring at me. I made a break for it.

"Wait! They made a ceremonial dinner for you!" the bilingual man called after me.

"Thanks, but I hate whale blubber!" I said, the wind whistling in my ears.

cazure14@gmail.com
Private E-1

Postby cazure14@gmail.com » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:57 am

"Ugh... My head." said Robbie. He sat up and opened his eyes. He was startled by the young woman that was staring at him. "Who are you?" he asked. "What do you mean who am I?" she replied. Robbie turned over onto his side and let out a sharp cry of pain. He had turned over onto a rock that was in his right pocket. "I mean I'd like to know who you are because I am lying in an igloo with nothing but my boxers on with a girl sitting right next to me who is wearing my fifty dollar button down. And I had 300 $ in my pocket and there is only 4 of it left." he explained. "Well where should I start?" she asked. "How bout the beginning..." Robbie said rudely. "Well we met at the bar last night. You got drunk, then I got drunk, then we went out for matching tattoos. After that we went and got hitched at a mosque. and we used that rock that is in your pocket as a promise or whatever..." she continued to explain everything, in detail, that happened the previous night. By the time that she finished Robbie looked thunderstruck.
"I'm confused about why..." he began. "We got married in a mosque? I have no idea..." she interjected.
I understand how this came to pass... but the one thing that I do not get is how you have a detailed record of everything that happened last night... Care to explain?" he finished.
"Well after the seventh time I got married I hired somebody to follow me around and take reports on everything that I do when I get drunk... Want to read it?"

Writer4Life08
Private E-1

Postby Writer4Life08 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:18 am

When I leave this place, I will never come back. I tighten up and curl into a ball to stay warm on the surprisingly cold floor beneath me. My dream awakens me; a man yelling my name. My eyes jerk open.
"Hattie, you are The Chosen One. You must come now." A tall man in a long fur coat stands over me.
The Chosen One? I think they have the wrong girl. My hands fall into my pockets and my cold fingers wrap around a jagged rock and a small wad of wrinkled bills.
"Excuse me, but where am I?" I ask.
"You have come." The man says.
"Where am I?" I ask again, this time a little louder. My other hand is in need of warmth so I shove it into my right pocket which seems to have a toothbrush in it. I am beyond confused when I hear the man speak again.
"You hit your head on the way in. But the others must see you, we must give thanks. Please come."
I look up at the white all around me and I take the extended hand of the large man before me. I have no choice but to go with him, in hopes to finding an explanation of how I got here.

smallPencil
Private First Class

Postby smallPencil » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:18 pm

"Where the frig am I?!"

"An Igloo."

"What? Who the frig are you?!"

"I, sir, I could be the dragon in your dreams, the reaper come to bare, Little Bo-Peep, your last salvation, your final entry, the egg from which you will hatch on a beautiful new world; but I am none of these. I... am an eskimo."

"A who?"

"Eskimo."

"Why?"

"Why what, sir?"

"Why an eskimo?"

"The rest of us do not chose who we are born to be, sir."

"No. I mean, why are you here? What is an eskimo, of all people, doing sitting before me?"

"Look around you. What do you see?"

"Ice."

"And what contains ice?"

"I don't know, bourbon-on-the-rocks?"

"An igloo, sir."

"Is that what this i-"

"And what do igloos contain?"

"Walrii?"

"'Walrii' is not a word, sir. Eskimos. The answer is that igloos contain eskimos. Therefore I, who am an eskimo, am here."

"Very well. So, why am I in an igloo with an eskimo? How did I get here? Who are you? Come to think of it... I don't even know... don't even know who... who... am I?! Who am I!? Tell me! Tell me, you inbred native bastard! Who!? Am!? I!?"

"I am sorry, sir. Your reaction is understandable. It would be disorienting."

"Who am I?"

"Please try to remain calm sir. I will explain everything to you. But it is of the utmost importance that you remain calm, otherwise I cannot help you."

"Shut the frig up. Who am I?"

"This is... not so easily explained, sir. Perhaps we should start with an easier one, work our way up to this one. Lets save this one for last. Is this acceptable to you, sir?"

"Um, nope."

"Being."

"Excuse me? I'm sorry?"

"Being. You are being, sir. You are the light at the end of the tunnel. You are the rain and the rainbow. You are the reason the clouds talk to the mountains. You are just over the horizon, just beyond that cloud, second star to the right and straight on till morning."

"What. The. Frig. What in God's name are you babbling about? Did any of that garbage actually make sense even to you? Whatever. If you are going to sit here and waste my time with nonsensical drivel then I am leaving. Tootles, 'Little Bo-Peep!""

"Wait! I would not recommend walking out that door, sir!"

"Why not?"

"Because you have not yet finished your birthing. To leave now would be to undo what you have worked so many years to achieve. If I let you do so this easily, you will not be forgiving, sir."

"Yeah, whatever. Fruitloop. Hmm... strange... I can't seem to... step... any... closer... to the door. Just gotta try harder. Willpower. Gaaah! Arrrrgh!"

"I am sorry, sir. I will make sure the vomit is cleaned from your person soon hereafter."

"What the hell is going on? Why can't I move any closer to the door?"

"You are being stopped."

"By what?"

"Not 'what', sir, who."

"By you?"

"No, sir, by you."

"What?"

"Think about it, sir. Remember the feeling as you approached the door, right before your episode."

"It, it felt like I was two magnets with their opposing poles being pushed together. I guess I see what you are talking about. Wow. Maybe there really is more going on here. Is any of that garbage you spewed, is any of it really real?"

"Self-awareness. Very good, sir, you have passed the mirror test of the gods. It was not supposed to be progressing so fast. It was not written that way. But then, 52 generations have passed since last my family was called upon to perform this duty. It is far from an exact science."

"Yes. Very good, Moglepie. I can feel it all flowing back to me now, like blood into a sleeping limb, my awareness, my information, the information that constitutes my godhood. You have performed your duties admirably. I can take it from here. Let me first make sure I have the requisite items. Ah, yes, here is the rock that is my body, and is the earth, and is matter. You wouldn't understand. And, these, yes four of them, as I requested. I see the ritual was performed on them according to my specifications. These are used for trading in the current time and place?"

"Yes, sir."

"Hmmm, they must be a medium. They are of no intrinsic and low implied value?"

"Yes, and yes, sir. If I may ask, why is that so important, sir?"

"These are receptacles, my good Moglpie. The less they contain, the more one can put in."

"And what will you do with them, sir?"

"I will buy stuff. First one, I lay down in trade, for whence I take from this place Moglepie's soul. Second one, I lay down in trade, for whence I take from this place the rights of the rains and the sun. Third one... I take... a Toyota Prius. Fourth one... I take... those ears to listen and those eyes to open."

sns3guppy
Private E-2

Postby sns3guppy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:56 am

There are three kinds of stares in this world. The angry stare: a fixed gaze that throws daggers, says "I hate you." The vacant stare: an empty, unfocused look of blank confusion says "nobody's home." Then there's the stare of curiosity. The young woman in the red dress, sitting ten feet from me on a block of ice, used none of those stares. Her gaze was expectant, but patient, as though I might have something to say.

I had nothing.

Nothing, it seemed, but four bucks in the bottom cavern of my left pocket, and a damn toothbrush that was poking me in my groin. Not even mine, I casually observed, wondering to whom it might belong. Gingerly extracting it with two fingers on the end opposite the bristles, I tossed it in a corner of the igloo.

How I came to this place was somewhat of a mystery, but no more than the borrowed toothbrush or the lack of cash. A cursory glance about the dome revealed little to me; my crushed red velvet suit lay folded over an armchair made of clear ice, my two large black boots set neatly along one side.

Frankly, the last thing I remember was her asking for the money. The sex wasn't that great, but a deal's a deal. I do recall telling her to hold her horses. Just a little drive and I'd get it. I hated sounding glib, and who could blame her for being pissed off? I would be if I'd done what she just did, and didn't get paid. But I'm a generous kind of guy; it's my job. It's a seasonal job, anyway, and this day was a day off. A do-as-you-please kind of day off that I didn't need to explain to anyone, except perhaps her. I wondered idly how long her even temper might hold out.

"Hold on," I remember telling her. I had to go somewhere, get the money. I recalled it more clearly as I tried to fight the hung over fog between my two hair-stuffed ears. As I tried to focus, a chunk of vomit in my beard caught my eye, and I flicked it away. A single broken whiskey bottle lay by the front door, and I knew I must wreak of booze and throw-up. I couldn't bring myself to feel guilty or care, over the pounding heartbeat in my head.

"Hold on," I told her. I remembered it well, now. "Hold on, you'll get your money, or I'm not Chris Cringle." The money was in my cloak hanging by the honey bucket. I thumbed off four hundreds from a wad of cash in my bright, red tunic, and handed them to her with a smile. I patted her behind, and showed her to door. "Very nice," I told her. "Next time, let's try naughty, it works better for me. Thanks, Toots. I'll get an elf to fly you home."
Last edited by sns3guppy on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bridget O' Brady
Private E-2

Postby Bridget O' Brady » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:12 pm

It was cold. Not the cold of new fallen snow or a broken heart, this was a different cold. I couldn't remember a thing. Was this my home? Who am I? I feel the eyes of another scan me from behind. I turned around contemplating whether the rock in my pocket would be a sufficient weapon. The parka-clad girl looked at me with widened eyes. The girl had long blond hair and very piercing blue eyes. She didn't look much over the age of eight, but yet wore a sheath with a knife secured in it. "Rock no go," I tell myself.
"Who are you?" I asked. The girl's blue eyes scanned me up and down.
"I'm Dorothy," she replied in flat tone.
"Where am I?" I asked again. This time Dorothy didn't hesitate, "Your in Greenland," Dorothy said. "How did I get here?" I asked hoping my empty head wouldn't conjure up any more questions. "Pa, brought you here, said that you were a survivor of some shipwreck that happened near Newfoundland, still a mystery how you wound up here." Dorothy replied. The word 'shipwreck' conjured something in me. I remembered the music the band played, the splitting of the ship almost in half. We had been going to New York, to start a new life. Danny and Elizabeth were put in a lifeboat, I jumped into the freezing water. My eyes must have shown Dorothy something because she said, "Pa's alerting the officials, your children are okay, Miss Thompson."

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges