[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Unsettling Fast Food Conversation - 8/18 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Unsettling Fast Food Conversation - 8/18

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Esalee
Private E-1

RE: Unsettling Fast Food Conversation - 8/18

Postby Esalee » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:11 pm

“You’re talking about the threat of nuclear destruction as if it was nonexistent!” he shouted. It was absurd to even think of the Cold War Era as anything but peaceful.

“As far as I’m concerned it’s all propaganda meant to screw with the respective citizens minds by their government.” His companion retorted. She sounded confident.

That’s all the driver heard of the conversation as he pulled up to the black box, of the Mac Donaldking drive through. He waited for the people arguing on the other side of the box to take his order.

“You can’t just dismiss the tension of that time period. It was dangerous.”

“All you say is ‘blah, blah, blah look’t me I’m afraid’-of what I say, there were no battles between the US and USSR” She paused, “If there was such tension then, it must have been sexual.”

“Insane b****.”

The driver had to say something he was hungry and he did not want to hear any more of that conversation, “You’re a cashier and earn minimum wage! Just get me a burger with double the pickles!” he shouted into the box.

“Nice American choice, mister.” the male replied. “The amount due is 4.00. Please pay at the next window.”

The driver grumbled once he got to the window and saw that the man and woman were arguing again. He didn’t want to wait in line, for a couple of squabbling children to bring his order up to the window.

Once the window opened, the woman took his exact amount of money and threw the paper bag containing his burger into his open car window

jwewrite
Private E-1

Postby jwewrite » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

I'd been out of food for the past three days, waiting for my check to come in. Sure I wasn't totally out of food, but three days of oatmeal, grits, toast and jelly had taken its toll. Friday was finally here, so I headed straight for the ATM, got $20 and headed directly to BK – pass go, collect your $20. Ha!

I pulled my guzzler up to the speaker and shouted my urgent need for a double cheese, fries, onion rings and super size coke.

“Bin ku sika jolm. Shas sen joble!” Came the reply.

“No!” I shouted back, “I want a #3! A number 3. And super size the coke!”

“Bin ku sika jolm. Shas sen joble! Bin ku sika jolm. Shas sen joble!”

“You will do as you are told. We have control of the vessel.”

“Oh, for crying out loud,” I thought. I'll just go inside and get it.

I put the car in gear and started to pull through the lane, around to park. “Way too hungry for this foreign crap.”

But my black Olds '98, with the black leather interior and the hanging headliner just sat there with the engine revving.

I pushed the door lock release. It popped up, but the door wouldn't open. I'm a little more then aggravated now.

Then I hear this from the radio instead of the station that had been playing: “Bin ku sika jolm. Shas sen joble! You will do as you are told. We have control of the vessel.”

“All right, all right! Just let me leave. I don't need the stinking burger this bad!”

My door swung out and I found myself walking against my will toward the pick up window.

Standing at the window was a huminoid creature with three heads and eight arms. He shoved a bag full of food toward me with one of his hands and simultaneously with one of the others he handed me a super sized coke.

“We learn double cheese, fries, and onion rings. We like super size cokes. Come visit us on our planet Rapisha when you're in the neighborhood! You may leave now person person”

Those Rapishans are gonna make a fortune with their new BK franchise on Rapisha.

jwewrite
Private E-1

Postby jwewrite » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm

In response to Rixusmaximus story:

Very good! Well done. You developed this fully in the very short form, and kept my interest through out.

sns3guppy
Private E-2

Re: Unsettling Fast Food Conversation - 8/18

Postby sns3guppy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Jarvis reluctantly set the transmission in park while he rummaged against the pull of his seatbelt for his wallet. Far from concealing a small fortune, the few scraps and receipts it pinned between its meager folds next to his driver license remained hostages to the caverns of his jeans pocket. Like a fish on a hook, the wallet caught on Jarvis' forefinger, and he reeled it in with a tug.

The lunch menu at Hanks Party Boy Burger glared sun back at Jarvis, unconcerned about his eyes or dwindling lunch hour. Nobody asked him if he wanted fries or ketchup. Only the crackle of a stuck microphone, probably nestled under the half-clad ass of Teenie Tiny Bopper as she took ten minutes too long on a break to text away on her cell phone, alerted Jarvis to life beyond the sign. Then he heard a stifled scream, weak and unclear through the speaker, trickle away to a gurgle.

"What do you want?" Asked a smokers voice, steady and sure.

"I want to place an order," Jarvis replied. Shouldn't that be obvious?

"I said, what do you want?" the voice repeated evenly.

"I'll take a Hokie Dog with Curly Fries and a Medium Coke." Jarvis said, quickly.

"Five bucks." Said the voice. "Pull up to the second window."

"Five dollars?" Asked Jarvis. "It should be eight. Eight bucks is what I always pay."

"We got a special going. You want your food or what?" asked the voice. The speaker's distain came through clearly.

"Yes," Jarvis replied. "I do."

"Then pull up, and come get it." Jarvis pulled up, but not before hearing the voice, ghostly and away from the microphone, say "Shut up and get back, before you cut her."

Jarvis thought hard about pulling away. Ken's Taco Heaven was only a block away, and from there he could call for help, send the police. Jarvis thought about that, then thought about his picture in the paper, and then he thought about the gratitude of a young Mary Huskett, thankful for his rescue. And then he was there; Jarvis arrived at the second window and fished the five spot from his faded leather billfold. He studied the sliding window, searching for a sign of life, but only saw his own reflection in the dirty glass, and "Billy Sucks" scratched into the stainless steel countertop.

Seconds wore into a minute, and then two, before the drive-through window slid open, and a tattooed, working arm emerged, palm up. "Five bucks," said the husky voice.

"Hey, Mary," said Jarvis, handing her the money.

"Hey, Jar," replied Mary in her gravely tone. She crumpled the money in her palm. "Billy got screwing around and cut your Hokie Dog. Hope it's okay."

"Yea, no prob," said Jarvis, taking the crinkled paper bag from Mary. "It all comes out looking the same, anyway." He stuffed the bag between his knees, and pulled away as his tattered, ratty wallet bounced off the back seat and onto the floor.
Last edited by sns3guppy on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

loganatr
Private E-1

Postby loganatr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:09 pm

“On the cutting board???”
“Yeah, apparently the manager walked in and they were still there. You don't even want to know about the pickles.”
I had no idea where this was going, but as I sat at Organic Food Quickly And Cheaply Utopia Palace waiting for my steak burrito, pomegranate juice, nothin'-but-spinach salad, and extra steak burrito order to be processed, I imagined lurid situations in which these statements could apply, assured in the knowledge that within the next five seconds, the situation would be rectified by the conclusion which seemed pregnant in the squawky male voice coming at me.
“Yeah, Frank said it was sexy, but Frank's always been weird like that.”
An inaudible reply was made on the other end.
Sexy. Weird. Pickles. All these ran together in my head, and quite frankly, I didn't really care. Every time I have prepared food, I always think about how the only thing I really care about- in terms of whose body parts have been on what- are disease, and the mortifying idea that somebody from the doesn't-understand-the-odds-that-this-doesn't-happen-to-everybody corner learning of a specific instance in which somebody sat on my grilled cheese and using this to add several sandbags to whatever experience I happen to be sharing with them. Ever been in a classroom full of students? Or a hotel? So I didn't care per se about the guy and the pickles and the lover. The next part of the conversation struck me, though.
“That damn cat needs to be reported to the animal shelter. You know it's a health code violation.”
With that, the sound cut out, leaving me to try to sort things out. I drove away with receiving, or paying for, my food, but I did have plenty of food... for thought. Eventually I sorted out that it all had to do with Frank, who clearly, I had to imagine, was joking. I refused to accept a world in which anything else had been the case.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Re: Unsettling Fast Food Conversation - 8/18

Postby mfarraday » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:01 pm

It was 3:45pm on a lazy Wednesday afternoon and I had a class at 4pm. I was in a rush to get through a drive through so I could pick up a quick dinner. I ordered the usual: quarter pounder, large fries, diet coke. I was about to roll my window back up and shift into drive when I heard an unexpected conversation:
"Would you marry me?"
"I can't marry you. I'm in love with Don."
"That's a lie. And it's MY baby."
"We can't know that."
"We DO know that. He's been gone for 5 weeks. You're only a couple of weeks along. It's mine."
"Don belongs to the Rikers gang - what's he going to do when he discovers what you've been up to with his girl?"
"I'll tell him myself. You just watch me."
"No, don't do that!"
"I'm ten times better than he is. He's a dropout, member of a gang, hardly knows anything...and he's the baby daddy of three other kids."
"Like you're so much better."
"At least I have my G.E.D. and I want to be responsible."
"I'm going to go live with my sister, in Chicago - and then we'll see how soon you forget about me."
"I'll never forget you, Liz - never - my heart will belong to you as long as I live. I'm going to go into the army, and earn a living, and you'll be proud of me. And when I come back from Afghanistan we'll get married."
[sobbing] "Please don't leave."
"It's you, Liz. It's always been you. Always will be."
There was a staticky noise as the speaker went silent and I was left to ponder the fate of the two people I had heard negotiating their lives together, the start of a family, perhaps; his future career, the dangerous people she knew; the prospect of her leaving forever. I pulled my car around to the drive up window and gazed eagerly inside, hoping to see who it was that had been talking.
A girl came to the window, she had pink eyes and the tracks of tears had been hastily brushed away from her cheeks. I sat back in my seat and looked at the 15 year old girl in front of me.
"Father Paul?"
"Hi Liz. Got my order?"
"Yeah, the usual, right? Just a second."
She went into the back of the restaurant for a minute and appeared a moment later with a bag of food and my drink. She took my money and gave me the change.
"Tell Father Eric I said hi. I'll see you on Sunday at St. Luke's."
"You take care of yourself, Lizzie. Come see us if you need anything."
She smiled, no sign of any distress lingering in her features.
"Will do."

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges