Unsettling Fast Food Conversation - 8/18

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
OrangeHotaru
Private E-1

Re: Unsettling Fast Food Conversation - 8/18

Postby OrangeHotaru » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:42 am

A very old and haggard Prof.Burton pulled up to the welcoming lights of “Nacho Whistle,” his favorite pseudo-Mexican fast-food joint. His students and colleagues would believe he was a lover of only the finest wines and the kinds of meals that require multiple forks, but this was far from the truth. Burton liked his food crispy and slathered in beans, sour cream, and salsa. He brought his car around to the second menu board, now needing to ponder over the first one since he knew exactly what he wanted. The familiar click following by static greeted him, and then the faint, wheezy, and slightly ill-sounding voice of a young man, “Thank you for choosing Nacho Whistle…ugh…how can I…uhnnn…help you?”

Prof. Burton had long learned it was best just not to ask and began to place his order.

“I’ll have a Triple-Decker Cheesy Beany Spicy Crunchster and a White-Hot Supernova Nuclear Meltdown, hold the guacamole.”

The boy on the other end was groaning painfully, making it even harder to understand him than usual. “Would you…oooo…like combos with either of…ugh…either of those, sir?”

“No, thank you!” replied Prof. Burton quickly, hoping to get this over with as soon as possible.

“You realize…those items…urgh…contain soy, dairy, and wheat products?” asked the boy, “We’ve had some…bad run-ins…uhn…with allergies…”

“I can imagine,” said Prof. Burton, strongly wishing that he couldn’t.

“So you’re going to…oh, oh ow…you’re gonna have the Triple…Decker…Cheesy...blurgh…!”

“Son? Son!” called Prof. Burton, prompted more by his extreme discomfort than his concern, “You don’t sound so well, maybe you need to have a break.”

“Yes, sir,” said the boy, sounding relieved, but still in extreme pain, “Hold on, please.”

Prof. Burton heard a beep then a frantic clatter, but the static remained. Then, faint voices were barely audible over the speaker.

“Marco, you gotta take this customer,” said the voice of the cashier.

“Hey, what’s wrong with you?” asked another voice, probably this “Marco” character.

“Terrible…stomach…pain…,” gasped the cashier, “Feel…sick…!”

“Aw man! I told you! I TOLD you!” said Marco, sounding quite pleases with himself despite the circumstances.

“Aw, shut it Marco!”

“Admit it! Admit I was right!” demanded Marco joyfully.

“No way!”

“I won’t let you by if you don’t!”

A loud scuffle ensued, filled with loud shouts of “Come on, man!” and “I gotta go!” but Marco was obviously refusing to back down. Despite his better judgment, Prof. Burton was curious as to just what Marco had been right about.

“All right, all RIGHT!” panted the boy, “You were right, okay?”

“Ha!” laughed Marco, “I told you those tomatoes had the salmonella in them! I TOLD you!”

“Whatever, man…,” said the cashier. A really awkward silence followed, an Prof. Burton could not detect that anyone was moving. A few second later, Marco asked, “So…don’t you need to go to the bathroom?”

The boy's reply was so sheepish and incoherent that it took Prof. Burton a minute to realize what he had said.

“Not…anymore…”

“What? Aw SICK DUDE!” said Marco, his voice indicated that he had plugged up his nose, “Go home and change, man, that’s disgusting!” Marco cursed and swore his way up to the drive-through window and put on the wired headset. He noticed with curiosity that the red light was still lit on the speaker, but he thought nothing of it.

“Hello, sir, sorry for the wait,” he said, like everything was normal, “So you’re going to have the Triple-Decker—,”

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Marco glanced out the window just in time to see a car squeal out of the drive through and down the street.

acre1964
Private E-2

RE: Unsettling Fast Food Conversation - 8/18

Postby acre1964 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:12 am

As I went to a dog and Sods I was ready to order as I heard the Truth about ? Then Me and my family Stopped the croption in the town. We Undid the mess they tried to sick us in. As I left the Town I thanked Einstine and lots of others. Isreal Rules. I know this sounds mixed up, its not.
Thanks to my friends and family.
:emoticon: :emoticon: :emoticon: :emoticon:

Kelseycardarella06
Private E-1

Postby Kelseycardarella06 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:53 pm

“Oh sweet Jesus, hurry up with the order already!!” Being six months pregnant means two very definitive things
A. when your in line waiting to use the john you are allowed to be a bitch and push people out of the way in
order to prevent Niagara falls sized clean-up for the janitor. B. When your hungry, and I mean crave worthy
hungry, you become outraged if you are forced to wait! The car ahead of me is for sure purposefully
pretending to be indecisive to further my irrational thoughts that everyone has rallied to prevent me from
peeing and eating! Finally this food foe ahead of me has placed their order and now I will finally get my chance
to contribute to the decline of healthy eating in America. I await the hook… and here it comes “Welcome to
Burger Bonanza, where the prize is baked in our beef, can I interest you in our heart healthy Bonsai Burger?” If
I actually had the audacity, my response would be something along the lines of… “Absolutely not, that not only
sounds extraordinarily gag worthy, but pretty sure anyone with half a brain would realize that Bonsai has no
association to burger anything! But I choke on that and reply with a simple “no thanks.” There was no browsing
the menu, I knew the minute I clocked out for lunch what I was destined to inhale in 45 minutes. Without
hesitation I barked out my order, which consisted of half the bottom left side of the menu. I awaited this
pubescent nasal twanged kid to respond with “will that conclude your order today at Burger Bonanza?” That to
my shocking surprise was not what followed my order. My guess is this little gremlin didn’t hear me rant off my
order, in fact, I don’t think he even knew I pulled up to the strange kid friendly burger mouth in the first place.
Obviously the little Einstein didn’t learn how to use his headset correctly either, because everything that came
out of his teenage angst trap, not only did I hear, but everyone behind me heard too. It went a little something
like this…

“No for serious dude, I totally did! I know right! Who would have thought it was that easy to break into this poop unicorns and rainbows
tank. She keeps a spare in her office, totally just played like I was grabbing some Windex… Pssh, anyone that
works here should know I don’t clean windows. Stashed it in my locker, and by the time my shift was over, I
already had the whole brilliant idea planned out! Security blows at night, walked right in. Yeah, the 5 0 was def
on a donut run. Hah, yeah dude, I was super ripped, but I can’t wear those kicks anymore… once you deep fry
your shoe their kind of sitting out the next inning, Ya dig?!

Funks21
Private E-1

Postby Funks21 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:15 am

“Yeah, one cheeseburger… small fries and uh.. Another cheeseburger, I guess” I relaxed in my car and turned the heat up a little. It had been a long day at work and I was on my way home. I felt like I deserved a little treat for myself so I stopped for a quick bite. I waited for the customary response, but nothing came.

Confused, but not overly concerned I waited for a moment, hoping that the employees were just busy. After a minute I noticed a queue of cars behind me, all awaiting their orders. Annoyed, I tapped on the speaker.

“Hey, you getting this?” I asked loudly. Static. It was then that I heard the voices.

“…And did you see his hair today?” One girl giggled. I recognized the voice and immediately wondered who she was speaking about.

Another familiar voice giggled back, “I know! He’s such a dork. He doesn’t even realize what a joke he is.” My concern picked up and I edged closer to the speaker to listen in. A car behind me honked it’s horn but I ignored it. “He doesn’t know that I spend all my shift on the phone to my boyfriend in Australia, either”

A third voice joined in the laughter. “He’s such a terrible boss. I love it when he leaves, we get to have so much fun” A chorus of laughter followed, with added agreements. I laughed a little myself.

“Go up to the next window, please.” A voice finally answered me. Grinning, I drove to the window, where I was greeted by a familiar face, the girl who was speaking earlier. She looked stunned.

“Oh. Mr. Roberts!” She stuttered. “I thought you had gone home for the night?” She sheepishly handed over my order.

“Yeah, I’m on my way, Becky” I answered. “By the way, how’s the boyfriend in Australia?” She immediately went red.

“I’ll see you and the others in my office tomorrow morning for a little chat.” I continued, taking a bite of my burger. "See you later!"

sb411us
Private E-1

Postby sb411us » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Timmie Hoes is the way to go!! I need the caffeine and sugar and even the carbs so the hell with this diet today.
"Hi. Welcome to Tim Hortons. What can I get you?"
"I'd like a..."
"Hey, don't do that!" Slurp, slurp, gurgle. "Oh crap."
"Excuse me, I'd like a...."
"Wait your turn bimbo." More noise like someone gargling. Silence.
I wait and wait. "Hello. Anybody there?"
No answer.
BEEP. "Hey," I yell. "Anybody want my business in there?"
Silence.
Enough. I drive up to the window to see what the heck's going on.
There's no one here. The window's shut tight, locked up, lights off.
Wait. I know I just spoke to someone, right? I'm not in Kansas anymore???

yagnaramans
Private E-1

Postby yagnaramans » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:43 am

The MacDonald’s “drive-thru” was one of my favourite stops since my journey began in my new electric Reva. On a Friday afternoon after a dragging week of college, I stopped there in the pouring rain. I enjoyed the long drive with the music of the rain beating on the roof of my car. Trees surrounding the edges and the sign glowed yellow. I was going to pick my friend after work. Slightly hungry, I ordered a pack of fries. I waited for the man to repeat it through his mike. Impatient with his slow speed, I stared at him. Grey green eyes were framed with thick glasses and he looked white.
Looking at his nameplate, I recalled Divya mentioning him a few times. I strained my ears to hear his voice.
“One French fries, I repeat one French fries”, he said in a fading accent, so formally that it made me laugh. Then I winced when I heard the screech of the mike. “I do believe you owe me something. Give me the moon rocks right now… or else,” The repeater’s formal voice became cold and threatening.
My ears perked up like a cat’s. Did I hear something I shouldn’t have? “I-I-I’ll give them to you tomorrow. Its quite hard to get”, Divya stammered, afraid. My anger silenced momentarily as I heard the clinking of forks and a gasp, which I knew was Divya’s. “Oh god! Don’t let him do anything to hurt her”, I begged silently. A thousand words I never said aloud rushed to my mind. I screamed, “My order please. I’ve been waiting!” like an irritated customer. My voice was choked with fear. “ I apologize for the delay.”, he replied. I took the fries and began chewing. The usually tasty snacks now felt like cement. I heard a slight tapping.
I jumped in the seat. Divya opened the door and sat inside the warm car shivering. I turned around. Her eyeliner was smudged with tears and her finger was bleeding. “Where did you get that from?” I asked, faking consideration. “I chopped it instead of a tomato”, she replied. “That’s odd, considering that you only have to repeat orders”, I spluttered angrily, “I know that you’re bribed. Why didn’t you tell me?” The words flew out furiously, wounding her.
“He saw me come in late, five times and threatened to tell the boss and get me fired if I didn’t get him something for this science project. You know I can’t afford to lose my job, it’s for college tuitions”, she responded with a strange feeling of being lost I had never seen on her face. I stared out of the rear-view as the road faded away.
Divya looked at me stung and got out. I began driving on the road. After a few minutes, I drove back and beckoned her to the front seat. Her tear-stained face showed forgiveness as I put my arm around her and whispered, “Don’t worry, I’m there”.

Somniay
Private E-1

Postby Somniay » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:09 pm

"Hi, yea can I get 2 number 2's with no onions and some fries?"

"What kind of drink?"

"Ummmmm...... Sprite with both."

I waited for confirmation as I always do when I come to Wendy's after work. I go there so much, I figure they should know me by now. But a confirmation wasn't what I heard. Oh no. I instead overheard one of the funniest conversations I think I've ever heard to date.

"What's that smell?" The girl taking my order asked.

Another girl in the background replied, "I don't know. I opened the oven door and all this heat just came rushing out."

"Well, something is burning."

"I know but I can't tell what it is."

"Maybe you burned the buns or something. Should we get the manager?"

"No. I don't see a fire so why bother him? The last thing I wanna hear is his mouth."

"Yea well something is bur..." and suddenly, the girl taking my order began to roar with laughter.

"What? What!" The other girl asked, her voice nearing hysterics.

"You burned your weave, huh?"

It was my turn to burst into a fit of laughter.

"Oh my God!"

I figured the girl must have looked into a mirror because her next words were, "All that heat has swizzled my bangs off! It's melted! Oh my God, I can see little plastic balls at the end of every strand!"

The girl taking the order could not control her laughter and as for me... tears were streaming down my face.

"It's not funny! I gotta go home and take this weave track out now!"

"I'm sorry girl, I know it's not funny but..." her apology certainly could not be taken seriously as it was tainted with hysterical laughter. She continued, "But... the bottom of your bang has melted! I am so sorry for laughing, but it's funny, girl!"

What can I say? What must have been quite traumatic for her, was darn hilarious for me. After a hectic day at work, I needed that bit of comic relief. Wendy's. It really is waaay better than fast food! It's funny as hell, too! Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

eternoxamante
Private E-1

Postby eternoxamante » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 am

I didn’t get what was so hard about a hot chocolate and a doughnut. I really didn’t. The guy behind the window had the simple job of repeating my order back to me, and he couldn’t even do that right. A let out a loud sigh and pounded my fist lightly against the steering wheel, losing patience by the second. As I was wallowing in my lack of tolerance for these people’s over all slowness, I heard voices talking, and I listened to see if the guy was finally repeating my order to me.
“I… I don’t want… to be involved…” The guy that had taken my order was talking, and he sounded nervous. Jittery. “If you want to do it, fine; do it, but I’m… I’m not gonna help you this time…”
“Look,” The other guy’s voice was soft, calm, but stern. “I know you don’t want to be involved, but I can’t do this alone.” He paused, and they were whispering. “No; if we don’t get rid of your wife, then this can’t work.”
“I don’t want to be involved!” The guy that had taken my order yelled and the other guy told him to hush up. They moved closer to the microphone, or so I assumed because they got louder even though they were speaking in a rather hushed tone. “Why can’t I just divorce her and we leave this whole thing behind us?”
“Because when she finds out what who I am, she’ll call the police for sure.”
That was all I needed to hear. I drove up to the window without waiting for the answer, because I realized I knew the other voice. I knew the other voice very well, and I knew that he shouldn’t be in California. I knew that was the LAST place he needed to be. Hadn’t I gotten a restraining order on that I have a potty mouth, and that he wasn’t even allowed to be in the same state as me. And as I pulled up to the window, my worst fear was brought to life.
He looked out at me, past the poor, innocent guy that was probably his next victim. Lucian, the kidnapper, the liar, the rapist… he smirked at me and opened the window, leaning out. “Well, well, well; if it isn’t Mr. Elliot O’Hara.”
I slammed my head against the steering wheel, and then I drove off without getting my food. I couldn’t help but wonder what he was doing here.

eternoxamante
Private E-1

Postby eternoxamante » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 am

I didn’t get what was so hard about a hot chocolate and a doughnut. I really didn’t. The guy behind the window had the simple job of repeating my order back to me, and he couldn’t even do that right. A let out a loud sigh and pounded my fist lightly against the steering wheel, losing patience by the second. As I was wallowing in my lack of tolerance for these people’s over all slowness, I heard voices talking, and I listened to see if the guy was finally repeating my order to me.
“I… I don’t want… to be involved…” The guy that had taken my order was talking, and he sounded nervous. Jittery. “If you want to do it, fine; do it, but I’m… I’m not gonna help you this time…”
“Look,” The other guy’s voice was soft, calm, but stern. “I know you don’t want to be involved, but I can’t do this alone.” He paused, and they were whispering. “No; if we don’t get rid of your wife, then this can’t work.”
“I don’t want to be involved!” The guy that had taken my order yelled and the other guy told him to hush up. They moved closer to the microphone, or so I assumed because they got louder even though they were speaking in a rather hushed tone. “Why can’t I just divorce her and we leave this whole thing behind us?”
“Because when she finds out what who I am, she’ll call the police for sure.”
That was all I needed to hear. I drove up to the window without waiting for the answer, because I realized I knew the other voice. I knew the other voice very well, and I knew that he shouldn’t be in California. I knew that was the LAST place he needed to be. Hadn’t I gotten a restraining order on that I have a potty mouth, and that he wasn’t even allowed to be in the same state as me. And as I pulled up to the window, my worst fear was brought to life.
He looked out at me, past the poor, innocent guy that was probably his next victim. Lucian, the kidnapper, the liar, the rapist… he smirked at me and opened the window, leaning out. “Well, well, well; if it isn’t Mr. Elliot O’Hara.”
I slammed my head against the steering wheel, and then I drove off without getting my food. I couldn’t help but wonder what he was doing here.

girlpuke
Private E-1

Postby girlpuke » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:41 pm

It was 3:17AM and I was starving. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had anything to eat besides maccaroni and cheese or a PB&J. Our weekly Dungeons and Dragons game had finally finished, and as my half-elf bard walked into the majestic sunset with her pockets full of shiny trinkets, I sat back and listened to the grumble of my belly. I looked at the clock and ran through the chain of fast food restaurants that would still be open at this hour. It didn’t take me long to decide on Taco Bell. My love for gooey, melty taco goodness often got the best of me.

I pulled through the drive-thru and started to order my usual. “I need a Crunchwrap supreme, a large Baja Bla...”

At the same time it occurred to me that no one had said “May I take your order?” when I pulled up. As I listened for some sort of conformation I heard heavy breathing instead. Heavy breathing that quickly turned into quiet sobs. This wasn’t the kind of crying that sounded hurt, or sorry, or even pissed off. It was afraid and panicked.

“Hello?” I tried to reach out to whoever I was accidently eavesdropping on. I only got a few quick breaths of air in return.

“Jane?” I heard the whisper of a man’s voice.

“I didn’t mean to!” This must have been Jane. Her voice was shaky and unsteady.

“It’s OK. Panicking won’t help anyone...”

“I killed him!” She interrupted him with a loud shriek. I had to look behind me to see if anyone else in the line heard her or was even aware of what I was witnessing. I was the only one there. I tried again to speak into the intercom to no avail. I even tried to honk my horn. I still didn’t get a response.

“Listen. The lobby’s been closed for hours and no one’s in the drive-thru. This was an accident. I can see that. We need to call the police and try to explain what happened.”

In a voice that was growing more and more menacing I heard Jane speak again. “I stabbed the Assistant Manager of Taco Bell in the neck with a paring knife! I doubt anyone will believe it was an accident!”

“Just calm down, Jane.” He started to sound frantic. “If you just let me call the police we’ll explain it was an accident!” He pleaded with her. “I’ll say I saw the whole...”

He didn’t even have time to scream. I heard what sounded like a struggle and then what I was pretty sure was a body being drug across the floor. Then another. Then a door opening and closing.

“Oh my God.... Oh my God...” I had been saying it without realizing it.

“Is someone there?” It was a very out of breath Jane.

I heard her clear her throat and the voice that followed was not one that had just murdered two men. It was calm, collected and... well... friendly.

“Thank you for choosing Taco Bell! Would you like to try a Cheesy Gordita Crunch?”

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges