Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
xenie
Private E-1

Re: Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

Postby xenie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:36 am

To honor my Greek and Italian heritage I would take an extended trip to both Greece and Italy. I can picture myself in Greece, dressed all in white….something off the shoulders…hair a bit long, skin darkened by the Mediterranean sunshine….walking through a hillside village of blue & white overlooking the Aegean sea…..I see myself ‘feeling Greek” and falling in love with my maternal grandmother’s homeland and perhaps meeting her family and finally getting an answer to why her father emigrated to the United States as a fugitive from justice with his wife and two baby daughters. My grandmother was born in the USA and was the youngest of eight children, so the information was diluted and always a family secret and no one alive in my family remembers the details anymore. Yes, sleuthing for the story would be entertaining!
After immersing myself in the warmth of Greece and all it has to offer I would travel to Italy and journey to the village of my grandfather’s ancestors, hoping to capture a glimpse of the world my maternal grandfather’s parents inhabited before leaving for a better life in America. Perhaps sitting at a table in a café writing what I see, hear, and feel I would capture the essence of the world they knew. When Candida and Joseph arrived at Ellis Island they had two children, one a baby boy named Mario, who died about a year after they were settled near Boston, Massachusetts. When their new baby was a boy they named him Mario in honor of the child they lost. I wish I had knowledge of that information when my grandfather was still alive so I might have asked him how he felt about being named for his dead brother.
Yes, that is the trip I would take if I could take a trip anywhere in the world. A trip to my maternal homelands where my imagination and research could help me understand more about myself and the people I claim as a part of me, the best part of me, the Greeks and Italians.

PamD25
Private E-1

RE: Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

Postby PamD25 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi Shannon -

You wrote a beautiful piece regarding your dream destination. It reminded me of my experience growing up in Seattle, Washington. I thought I was accustomed to the clouds and rain, but after some vacations in Mexico and experiencing sunshine and warmth during the winter months, I was never the same again.

Suddenly, I despised Seattle and couldn't go through one more winter there. Nothing would stop me - I quit my job, sold my home and moved to Arizona about six months ago. Best thing I've ever done! I call my new home Paradise, Heaven, Eden.

You can and will escape. The best of wishes to you in reaching your Paradise!

Pam

PamD25
Private E-1

Postby PamD25 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi Shannon -

You wrote a beautiful piece regarding your dream destination. It reminded me of my experience growing up in Seattle, Washington. I thought I was accustomed to the clouds and rain, but after some vacations in Mexico and experiencing sunshine and warmth during the winter months, I was never the same again.

Suddenly, I despised Seattle and couldn't go through one more winter there. Nothing would stop me - I quit my job, sold my home and moved to Arizona about six months ago. Best thing I've ever done! I call my new home Paradise, Heaven, Eden.

You can and will escape. The best of wishes to you in reaching your Paradise!

Pam

1mooredee
Private E-1

Postby 1mooredee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Without the slightest of hesitation, Nova Scotia! With the lush green landscapes, sandy beaches, and rocky coastline, it beckons to me, and I can simply envision myself there. You can stay in historic hotels off the beaten path, or perhaps a hotel in the center of it all and close to down town, or maybe take in a Bed & Breakfast near a light house or two, amongst the autumn colors! There seems to be so much to do as well, depending on your taste. Whether it be a trip all about leisure and pampering or something more adventurous, Nova Scotia seems to have it all. Rich history, shopping, award winning cuisine, fine vineyards, and music festivals. Not to mention all the sports offered, to get your lazy butt up and running. From renowned golf courses, biking torus, kayaking, and so much more that I can't even begin to recall it all......I've never been there, just researched it, and then researched some more! One day I WILL go! I'm just concerned I may not want to come back! :)

1mooredee
Private E-1

Postby 1mooredee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Without the slightest of hesitation, Nova Scotia! With the lush green landscapes, sandy beaches, and rocky coastline, it beckons to me, and I can simply envision myself there. You can stay in historic hotels off the beaten path, or perhaps a hotel in the center of it all and close to down town, or maybe take in a Bed & Breakfast near a light house or two, amongst the autumn colors! There seems to be so much to do as well, depending on your taste. Whether it be a trip all about leisure and pampering or something more adventurous, Nova Scotia seems to have it all. Rich history, shopping, award winning cuisine, fine vineyards, and music festivals. Not to mention all the sports offered, to get your lazy butt up and running. From renowned golf courses, biking torus, kayaking, and so much more that I can't even begin to recall it all......I've never been there, just researched it, and then researched some more! One day I WILL go! I'm just concerned I may not want to come back! :)

earthling09
Private E-1

Postby earthling09 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:32 pm

I would like to visit the Baha'i Terraces and the other Baha'i sites in and around Haifa Israel. I believe Baha'u'llah is the Promised One of every religion. He has already fulfilled the prophecies of every former religion, revealed a new revelation of the Word of God and founded the Kingdom of God on earth and in heaven. The Universal House of Justice on Mount Carmel is the headquarters of the Kingdom of God. Baha'u'llah's tomb at His last earthly home, the Mansion of Bahji, is the most Holy place on earth.

Ya Baha'u'l Abha

earthling09
Private E-1

Postby earthling09 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:32 pm

I would like to visit the Baha'i Terraces and the other Baha'i sites in and around Haifa Israel. I believe Baha'u'llah is the Promised One of every religion. He has already fulfilled the prophecies of every former religion, revealed a new revelation of the Word of God and founded the Kingdom of God on earth and in heaven. The Universal House of Justice on Mount Carmel is the headquarters of the Kingdom of God. Baha'u'llah's tomb at His last earthly home, the Mansion of Bahji, is the most Holy place on earth.

Ya Baha'u'l Abha

heathermoreland
Private First Class

Postby heathermoreland » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 am

My dream destination is in a place we all hear about as kids but spend our entire life trying to find out where it actually is and if it actually exists...

It's streets are made out of pure gold, the purest gold ever made. A ginormous pearl is the gate to this city. Awe inspiring colors that the human eye has never seen shine radiantly upon the dwellings. Sounds that no human ear has ever heard permeate the atmosphere with a soul clenching melody.

Thrones and mansions abound, but amongst them all is one glorious throne... one that outshines and outmagnifies all others. Light proceeds from the throne of thrones. A warm light, all knowing, and all inspiring, captures every being breathless- unable to move or speak as mercy overcomes them.

Things that we have seen our whole life, no longer exist...they are vacant...even out of memory...

Tears, pain, suffering, torment, evil...they are all done away with. They are bygone memories of an ancient history, as if known only through a history book.

And everyone is welcome there, regardless of their race, culture, or background.

There is one who stands at the gates, calling to all: "Please, please, we are having a party for the King today...Please come in that He might have guests...All are welcome....Come! Come! The King desires your company."

Some come, some refuse, and some want to come but refuse to kiss the King's Son, which offends the King so greatly that they are not permitted to enter.

It doesn't cost a fortune to go there - only acceptance of the King's invitation and the willingness to accept His Son.

How I wait to see this magical land where the King of Kings rules, where the throne of thrones stands, where the Son is glorified with His Father.

I'll never have enough money to buy a ticket there, I'll never have done enough good deeds to be rewarded with a trip there, it's just not possible...it's too grand a place for such things...too luxurious and awe inspiring to be received by human hands...

But, I will gladly take my free invitation, running to the party of all parties, smiling all the way, knowing all the while that I am not worthy of such a destination. But, thanking the King for it anyway. ;)

iconne
Private E-1

Postby iconne » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:26 pm

Why not head a mile down the street to Plymouth Beach. Just turn this drab March day into a beautiful, warm, sunshiny day in... let’s say July. A day where you can smell of the ocean from miles away. Where everyday is perfect outside weather. Images of watermelon slices so juicy they run down your chin, sandcastles with motes that catch the passing waves, and cars backed up onto the beach for as far as the eye can see.

I want to be driving down the Long Beach right now. Bumping along, listening to Jack Johnson, reading the “Piping Plover - Tastes Like Chicken” bumper sticker on the truck in front of me, feeling happy to be alive and enjoying a perfect New England summer day. I want to see the kids taking turns flying kites in the breeze and pulling boogie boards through the tide pools. Taking the first sip of Corona and feeling the burn instantly followed by the cool flavor of a hot day.

I want these thing now, in the dead of March. When the skies are coated in grey and icy rains fall promising spring flowers but delivering runny noses. You can always escape to some exotic, tropical, exciting destination, but it is only temporary and you always have to come home. And after a long, snow ridden winter, doesn’t July and the promise of endless days of sand between my toes, flip flops, healthy suntans and kids happily splashing in the waves seem about as good as it can get? I do.

silverweed
Private E-1

Postby silverweed » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 am

England, either London England during 1865 (the time of Alice and Wonderland), somewhere in the countryside, or both.
Nearly all the very good classics take place in England, and alot of the writers are born/live there. The Novels; Watership Down, Alice in Wonderland, Redwall, The wind in the willows, and The Secret Garden all take place in England. I think England is magical, when I read about it in these novels, I feel as if I'm almost there. Alot of my dreams take place in what looks like the English countryside. The old tutor homes wrapped in ivy, the rolling green hills, the stone castles..they're all so enchanted. I've never been to England though, let alone Europe. I daydream fantasies of going there one day. I would skip past wrought iron fences, leaping over streams that trickled through an orchard of apple trees. I would find the key to the secret garden and step inside. I'd fall into the rabbit hole, down to Wonderland. I'd have tea in "Toad Hall". One day I will move to England (or at least visit for a year, or two-or ten) And write a fantastic classic just like the ones I mentioned. Thats my dream.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges