Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
wouldbewordsmith
Private E-1

Re: Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

Postby wouldbewordsmith » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:45 am

My dream destination would be someplace green and peaceful, with quiet water flowing nearby - where I would be as pure and clean and perfectly loving and holy as God and so would see Him completely as He is. There I would meet much loved friends and family. We'd all be perfectly healed and well. Our friendships and relationships would be restored as they should be in God's presence - overflowing with perfection. We'd dance and sing in His presence, welcome in our Father's house where there are many mansions. I would be able to fly with endless delight wherever I wanted to go and be. This place would be like an endless happy reunion. I'd even be able to roll down hills and skip as I did as a child.

Mine
Private E-1

RE: Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

Postby Mine » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:41 pm

Homer spit - Sea of Life -

I ponder the effects of the day. To so many the sun brings light and glory, to me it may only mean another day of questions. Why do I do as I do, and did what I did? I reach for the glory of love, to be, again, let down by shameless childish believes of honor and respect. I march forward with my heart closed, and eyes open. The heart aches yet meds. ease the pain for awhile. I can do this, I only need to do this. Then it happens. I am on the spiral down. Falling in the black hole of hopelessness, no despair is seen, only contusions falling. I want more, there is more. I reach up for help, the hand of God grabs me. I am lifted to the side of total empowerment. I have been given the beauty of sight of my heart. The ache is dismissed, the meds will lose. I am running on the fantasies of childness that is pure and real on it's own. My secret I must keep. The rest of the world wants it, it is mine. My mind races with the knowledge of this awaking. The sea is waiting, waiting for my return. I return to it's glory. I stand alone, yet alive. I have found my home. I wish to jump in. The sea otter says "yes! You belong here!" I tell him I can't breath underwater, I would freeze. he says then go away. I am alone. Again, alone and now dead. I have to return to the world of the less fortunate that don't see beyond their realm. They live in a world I am not comforted by. Standards of the old gone, I want the old. The land is busy, the sea is open, waiting, just waiting for my return and then my rejection. One day I to will be part of the sea. and there is where my truth of heaven will be, until then it is only my heaven on earth. The waves touch me softly. sweeping my feet with grace and concern. For they have not turned me away, they have given me their heart to bring back later. The white foam left upon my toes, the tiny rocks, beatened by the sea, wait with me. Sticking to my feet, letting me know I am them, And I will be them. For now I am stuck, yet fantasies are my hope and my goal. I wait, and wait kindly with remneance of yesterday, still, on my toes, and the pocket full of sand reassuring me of more. They, the truth of the earth, are my friends. Until then I wait, and wait, and wait, wondering why I am not good enough for God to want me with him. The whole purpose of life, and I am left to wait.

Fantasy
Major

Postby Fantasy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:47 pm

301 Words.

My dream destination is not fabulous or exotic. It's rather plain and ordinary, kinda weird and has sandy dirt for miles. The massive expanse, the sea of sand, is what I crave. The desert plains of New Mexico call to me while I rot in the prison of Metropolis. The clean, dry air calls, and I wait for a chance. The moment I am free from Hell, I am free to breathe the intoxicating air of freedom.

The sands of New Mexico slowly makes its way to Metropolis. In envelopes and packages; jars of dirt sent by friends still out in the desert of happiness. Waiting for me to return with tales of adventure, pain and torture. Of broken hearts and jackasses ruining perfectly good, happy relationships for the thrill of being, of feeling, more superior in comparison to the crying woman on the walkway.

My dream destination is anywhere but Hell. Anywhere but Metropolis.

Ultimately, my dream destination is in the middle of Nowhere, New Mexico. Home of few, sanctuary to many. Where it's common to see random couples slow dancing on the side of the road. Where an idea of a good time involves friends meeting up at the local diner and discussing the next convention, the next gaming party or the impending Zombie Apocalypse – with plans of meeting up at the local Army Base for the Final Showdown. Secret meetings between friends aren't so secret but no one cares. It's a “lets wing it” world in the Sanctuary, where no one cares as long as you show up with a smile and a good bottle of home brewed ale and the food is flowing like water.

Where the people you left behind, the friends you left behind, are still there. Still waiting for you, and still love you.

jackm
Private E-1

Postby jackm » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:57 am

“You can’t have a light, without a dark to stick it in…” – Arlo Guthrie, The Neutron Bomb track, Precious Friend Album

Two places,,, first the nightmare, then the dream. I’d start my ‘vacation’ by spending a week in the southern reaches of Western Sahara – a desperate, desolate, and dangerous place. It is an area troubled by bands of renegades astride desert ponies, choking dust storms, and uncertain governance. Living out of a backpack, I’d eat survival rations, sleep in the shade of giant dunes, and drink bottled water bartered from locals. If I survived, I would make my way over a short stretch of the Atlantic to the Portuguese garden isle of Madeira and immerse myself in the pleasures of civilization – feather beds, fine wines, and enlightened companionship. I’d explore the rugged hills, verdant valleys, and vineyards of the island and dine in fine restaurants overlooking the rocky coastline.

The light is so much brighter when emerging from the dark…

TheProdigy2010
Private E-2

Postby TheProdigy2010 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Well, already I'm going to be going to Europe this summer so already, that is yet to be a dream come true. However, a dream destination of mine that is not part of my European journey is an incredible trip to New Zealand.
Ever since I first saw "Whale Rider" a few years ago and reading various books by Witi Ihimaera, I've been fascinated with Aotearoa for its culture and its beauty.
I would love to see the ocean from its point of view as an island off the coast of Australia and I would love to visit a Maori village. It would be considered a breathtaking experience.

fleur1977
Private E-1

Postby fleur1977 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:33 pm

My answer to this is always, "I'd go around the world" and I really would. I've already dreamed up my worldwide cruise, in first class. It'll only cost $10,000 for each leg of a trip, but it will be worth it. I would start out in Los Angeles, which is only a 5 hour drive away and leave my car with my cousin. Then I'd hop on the cruise ship that will sail down to Hawaii, the Polynesian Islands, New Zealand, and finally Australia. From there, I'll board another cruise ship and sail to China, India, and Dubai. Then I'll sail to the Mediterranean, to tour Europe. Another cruise ship will take me down to Africa, and eventually crossing the Atlantic to South America. From there, I will cruise up to Latin America and the Carribean to Canada. My cruise will end there with an RV trip across the country, back to Arizona.

I would love to see the world and do all of those things I've seen on TV or read about in books. I want to be inspired by other cultures and by the people I'll be traveling with, as well as the inspirations of my own experiences.

Problem is...I can't do this on a teaching salary. Maybe in spurts over the summer. :)

mister_lister
Private First Class

Postby mister_lister » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Ireland would be destination of choice if I were to go anywhere in the world. I visited in the early 90s and fell in love. I have always been attracted to Ireland. Oh, earthy tones and ancient stones! From the dark flow of the river Liffey through the center of Dublin, to the granite steps at Giant's Causeway in the north. A Leisurely walk along the shore at Dingle Bay, to an folk art exhibit in Galway – Ireland has so much history and so much to offer a traveler. Guinness Stout just tastes better in a wood and brass pub off of O'Connell street.

One way to experience Ireland, is by back pack sleeping in hostels or bed and breakfasts – keep as close to the ground as you can. My first experience in Ireland was like that. I was a young 20 something and I had a lot of fun. I experienced Ireland, from the roots up, people and places that are frequented by locals, as well as the tourist sites. It is always good to get a travel guide prior to a visit to any destination. The popular Rough Guide series has a book Rough Guide to Ireland 9 by Paul Gray and Geoff Wallis, it is available on www.amazon.com.

During my first trip to Ireland with a friend, we end up spending a lot of time in Dublin. As a diversion and to see the country side we took a bus down near Dingle Bay. We were dropped off outside of town and it was raining lightly, so we decided to hitch-hike the rest of the way into town. As soon as I put my arm out and extended my thumb, a woman pulled over to pick us up. We ended up staying the night at her house and she gave us a full Irish breakfast in the morning. We paid her for her hospitality, a little more than the going rate at that time for a bed and breakfast – it was worth every penny.

Ireland is full of friendly people. The “Troubles” have subsided in the north and now that is an attractive tourist location as well. I would go back to Ireland in a heart beat, with a little planning and travel guide in my hands of course. Ireland is a wonderful travel destination and affordable for most budgets. Take a tip and make your summer vacation an experience – visit Ireland.

texas_dimond
Private E-1

Postby texas_dimond » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:42 am

A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting a man online that was the love of my life, or so I thought. It turned out the man I talked countless hours to was not the man in the photos I recieved. So, in order to die a happy woman, I'd love to travel to Lagos, Nigeria to finally meet this underhanded individual. After meeting him...slapping his face and giving him a good swift kick;I would then find others that I have had occaision to meet there, then I would leave and journey to London England where I believe the real object of my affection is said to reside...hopefully I would find him...tell him of my feelings toward him and we can go on from there. :emoticon:
DIMOND

texas_dimond
Private E-1

Postby texas_dimond » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:42 am

A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting a man online that was the love of my life, or so I thought. It turned out the man I talked countless hours to was not the man in the photos I recieved. So, in order to die a happy woman, I'd love to travel to Lagos, Nigeria to finally meet this underhanded individual. After meeting him...slapping his face and giving him a good swift kick;I would then find others that I have had occaision to meet there, then I would leave and journey to London England where I believe the real object of my affection is said to reside...hopefully I would find him...tell him of my feelings toward him and we can go on from there. :emoticon:
DIMOND

xenie
Private E-1

Postby xenie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:36 am

To honor my Greek and Italian heritage I would take an extended trip to both Greece and Italy. I can picture myself in Greece, dressed all in white….something off the shoulders…hair a bit long, skin darkened by the Mediterranean sunshine….walking through a hillside village of blue & white overlooking the Aegean sea…..I see myself ‘feeling Greek” and falling in love with my maternal grandmother’s homeland and perhaps meeting her family and finally getting an answer to why her father emigrated to the United States as a fugitive from justice with his wife and two baby daughters. My grandmother was born in the USA and was the youngest of eight children, so the information was diluted and always a family secret and no one alive in my family remembers the details anymore. Yes, sleuthing for the story would be entertaining!
After immersing myself in the warmth of Greece and all it has to offer I would travel to Italy and journey to the village of my grandfather’s ancestors, hoping to capture a glimpse of the world my maternal grandfather’s parents inhabited before leaving for a better life in America. Perhaps sitting at a table in a café writing what I see, hear, and feel I would capture the essence of the world they knew. When Candida and Joseph arrived at Ellis Island they had two children, one a baby boy named Mario, who died about a year after they were settled near Boston, Massachusetts. When their new baby was a boy they named him Mario in honor of the child they lost. I wish I had knowledge of that information when my grandfather was still alive so I might have asked him how he felt about being named for his dead brother.
Yes, that is the trip I would take if I could take a trip anywhere in the world. A trip to my maternal homelands where my imagination and research could help me understand more about myself and the people I claim as a part of me, the best part of me, the Greeks and Italians.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges