Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:22 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:22 am

If you could take a trip anywhere in the world where would it be and why?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

esgaffney
Private E-1

Re: Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

Postby esgaffney » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:19 pm

Most definitely, I would go to the East African highlands around Mt. Kilimanjaro. I am intrigued by the condition of early modern humans--the first members of our species--who would have had all (or at least most) of our physical and mental capabilities but would have almost none of what we consider background. This would make an interesting story, which I have dabbled in, but I know so litle about the physical environment, about the landscape, the weather, the local plants and animals. It would be so much easier to write stories set at that time if I could spend a few months travelling around in Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia instead of having to spend hours on the internet (with uncertain results) when my story entered a new phase.

Kathykay
Private E-1

Postby Kathykay » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:26 pm

If I could take a trip anywhere in the world it would be to Heaven. I would truly cherish just one day to take my little boy's hand and travel leisurely down the trodden streets of Heaven and visit other loved ones who have moved their residences to the extreme north. He would greet me at the gate I picture as being one made of gold and the title overhead reading, "Ranch of Heaven". His toothless grin, the Dum dum sucker encased in sticky fingers, and the lopsided hair framing his angelic face where he decided to give himself a haircut (barber-in-training) would send chills of happiness up my years of sadness backbone. Our first stop would be my grandparent's house. Completely clear words blaring from a television would be our first clue of where my grandparent's lived. Also, the irradescent cloud of heat surrounding the house would be a sure sign they were home.

Our next stop would be the maternal grandmother I never met in human form. She changed her address before I was even a thought in my parent's minds. I have been told I follow in her footsteps as far as abilities and interests. To meet her and discuss our similarities would be a joyous day. Other friends who I didn't have enough time with and have thought of a thousand things I would like to tell them since then would fill in a good portion of the rest of the day.

At the end, though, would be just Philip and I, playing a little catch, catching up on the board game "Memory Game" and just sharing news as we slowly moved back and forth on the old porch swing. I could tell him about his brothers, his sister-in-laws, and his seven neices and nephews. How life has changed so drastically since he left us. And finally, to hold him on my lap and whisper in his ear, "I Love You" one final time before heading back to my earthly home to finish my job here before I can return forever......

Shan924
Private E-1

RE: Dream Destination 3/3-3/9

Postby Shan924 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Eleuthera calls to me. She asks me to return so that I may feel her gentle winds, walk her powdery beaches, and once again understand why her name means ‘freedom’. For the past three hours snow has been piling up by the inches, blanketing everything outside my home in the country, in the heart of Northern Alberta. Canadian winters are notorious for their length and brutality, but regardless of this fact I’ve never considered living anywhere else. Don’t mistake me for one of those winter loving fools who plunge themselves into Arctic waters, or who snowmobile through several feet of snow, with the wind-chill gnawing at their exhausts. I’m the kind of resigned Canadian, whose winter habits resemble the hibernating bear. Year after year I suffer and I withdraw. From the beginning of November until the end of April I live buried alive beneath the snow. For generations my family has dwelt within a short geographic circle, extending no further than 200 miles in any direction. I believed myself genetically predisposed to continue this generational trend. I couldn’t imagine moving any further than the next city on the highway, until last year. In the heart of January, I found myself free from layers of clothing. My thick coat, mittens, and extra sweaters were left behind, but I did not miss them. Unbound, I was for the first time able to feel the heat of the January sun on my naked skin. I have never known a sky so blue or foliage so green. Pink sand stripped my feet of their winter calluses, moist air replenished in my skin what the dry winter back home had siphoned away. I was bemused. I was in love. I was in Eleuthera.
This winter finds me a changed woman. I am unable to grin and bear the winter with good natured ignorance or Canadian bravado. I gnash my teeth at its frigidity. Outside my window thick white flakes fall faster and faster. Everything is coated with cold, another layer added. I had hoped this would be the week when the first of many icy thicknesses would melt but March has come in like a lion. For the first time ever, I think of making my life away from here, a small farm house in the frozen north. My ancestors may turn over in their graves; my mother may threaten to join them, but one day I will be winterless. I refuse to suffer needlessly. I’d rather be in Eleuthera.

kbaktygul
Private E-1

Postby kbaktygul » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:31 am

:) Place where sakura blooms, mood pushed forard, smell stem from beautiful white orchard braces me for a sweet munites. The time, then, I would breath wholy, slowly sipping every bit of it so that I take good time.

Cherry trees bloom around here about late April. Wonder where it blooms earlier. I would love to go there. It is quite astounding to contemplate the contrast of green and white of trees and flowers and everything of nature of spring time when there is a chance to start something anew; fresh move.

kbaktygul
Private E-1

Postby kbaktygul » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:31 am

:) Place where sakura blooms, mood pushed forard, smell stem from beautiful white orchard braces me for a sweet munites. The time, then, I would breath wholy, slowly sipping every bit of it so that I take good time.

Cherry trees bloom around here about late April. Wonder where it blooms earlier. I would love to go there. It is quite astounding to contemplate the contrast of green and white of trees and flowers and everything of nature of spring time when there is a chance to start something anew; fresh move.

kbaktygul
Private E-1

Postby kbaktygul » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:32 am

kbaktygul
Private E-1

Postby kbaktygul » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:32 am

:) Place where sakura blooms, mood pushed forward, smell stem from beautiful white orchard braces me for a sweet munites. The time, then, I would breath wholy, slowly sipping every bit of it so that I take good time.

chakahair
Private E-1

Postby chakahair » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:32 am

I remember I wanted to simply step off the train in Lugano, Switzerland. Out of the pristine Swiss train window, I saw a cobbled, old-church city dropped between spiky Alps. I thought: I could live here the rest of my life. A woman with a baguette, stepped off the train. Her brown, thick braid hung to the middle of her back. Her sweater was a sea-blue and her shoes, sturdy. I wanted to step off with her, follow her through the rest of her grocery shopping. I thought, she buys things that last and relies on them. I imagined her walking down to her modest cottage, breathing in the clear Swiss air and peering through shop windows to catch someone's eye. Perhaps she'd see her friend, Imke. Then lake Lugano, a shimmering reflective backdrop to their lives, they buy the rest of their evening meal. At home, she’ll chop the rosemary and throw it in the pot to marinate the rabbit.
Such is the life I left behind in Lugano.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges