[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Losing a Loved One - 5/17 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Losing a Loved One - 5/17

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
bd6688
Private E-1

RE: Losing a Loved One - 5/17

Postby bd6688 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:07 am

Haven't talked to you in weeks. Not since the big fight we had..
On may sixth I walked into the bar you worked at. sat down at the bar and Greg the bartender set a tall glass of my usual beer in front of me. I wanted to make up for the fight that I started because I felt like you didn't love me anymore. Thats why I was there that night. There was a certain look on Greg's face that night. Took no notice too it at that point. I was too busy trying to think of what too say when I finally see you. About three or four beers later I still didn't see you. I lean in and ask Greg if you were working tonight. The bar was very busy at that point but when I asked him he left the bar and took me too the back room where they keep there beer. He shoved me onto a chair. He took a moment to collect himself. I asked him what the **** was going on. Then he got really close and began to yell at me and shove me. I could smell whiskey on his breath as he was yelling. His spit was hitting me in the face and his hands were shacking my shoulders. He told me that you died. That not only that but it was suicide.
Suicide because of me..
Nothing can change what has happened. I have a black eye now from Greg and can never go back to that bar. Not that I would want to any way. Now I'm standing at your grave. Writing you this note that you will never get. All because of me.
Now Its time for me to find you in heaven or hell where ever we end up. Nothing is left for me here now. Ill see you soon enough. Hopefully you will accept my apology. Not that I expect you too.

jody222
Private E-1

Re: Losing a Loved One - 5/17

Postby jody222 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:18 am

It's a dark world we live in. Surrounded by faceless people. Shadows that pass through me. No one can touch me.
You're an ache in my heart, taking my breath away. I can't believe that a person can live when they've been hollowed out.
My little boy.
My sweet little boy.
Your laughter still echoes drowned out by my screams. I hold you in my arms at night only to wake up to find you were only in my dreams.
Know mommy loves you and needs you like always.
My baby boy. I hope He takes care of you and I promise I'll watch over Daddy.
If we could go to the park today I'd let you stay there all day. I'd give you the treats you asked for and I'd kiss your cheeks a million times.
I miss your voice saying "I love you like pizza. I love you like cookies."
I slept in your room last night wrapped in your blankets. I held Cookie Monster so tight. I stared for hours at your pictures and dreamt of your face.
I love you little man. I love you like the stars in the sky, you're bigger than the universe, larger than the sky. Mommy hopes you're smiling and making the angels laugh with your funny jokes. Tell God Mommy thanks him for letting me know you and ask him to let me know how you are.
For now I'll say I'll see you later, for now I'll say good bye. There won't be a minute I am not wishing you're with us, there won't be a minute I'm not wishing you were by my side.

jeteakp
Private E-1

Postby jeteakp » Thu May 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Dear Harry,

Who would have thought that the opening of a new middle school and bullies would unite two strangers – making them friends forever?

We were small compared to our high school counterparts, but no seventy grade student wanted to leave Risley High School to attend the new Sarah Marlette Middle School. The first day at our new school was lonely and sad. No seventy graders were happy about this transfer. It wasn’t long before bullies emerged in the restrooms, corridors, lunchroom, and on the playground of our new school. Like a few other students, I was targeted by Jackie, a female from an undesirable part of town. I hadn’t done anything to her; never visited her side of town, or knew anything about her other than she was a classmate.

No matter where I stood, which table I ate lunch at, what side of the hall I walked on, or when I opened my locker; I was always in Jackie’s way! She would shove me into my locker; knock books out of my arms and off my desk. She would shove me into other students on the playground.

I never knew why Jackie did the things she did to me or to other students – we were just targets.

I didn’t know you were watching – I never saw you there. However, I will never forget the day Jackie knocked my books from my left arm and slammed my locker door on my right hand. I turned around to look at her, and you were standing there. You are not bleeding and your hand is not broken – knock her on her ass and be done with it, you said. It wasn’t that I was afraid of Jackie, I just never knew how to handler confrontations with loud vicious people (female or male); basically, I was a good student and didn’t want to get into trouble at school. Because of you, I slammed my right fist into Jackie’s chin – knocking her head up and her body totally off balance. She unexpectedly hit the floor knocking herself unconscious. She was quickly aroused by her friends, helped to her feet, and staggered off. That day, word went out amongst students like a tide wave - that I was CRAZY. As a result, I was never bullied by Jackie or anyone else again.

I looked for you but you were gone.

As I think back, prior to you giving me the order to “knock Jackie on her ass,” I had never seen you before; and it was weeks before I saw you again.

The next time you appeared, I was struggling to get into my band uniform when the jacket button caught in my hair. “Hold on let me help you!” I turned around to see you standing behind me. You unhooked my hair, helped me into my jacket, and once I was ready you put my Trombone in my hands and walked away. I never asked but often wondered; how did you know when I needed help? You were always there whenever I needed someone; even after we both got married and lived separate lives, you would show up whenever I needed someone to give me a word of encouragement, or a push in the right direction.

I never thought the day would come that you would be gone from me. I was miles away but heard after the fact – you died from a massive heart-attack. Oh, how my heart broke. I felt cheated and really alone. I wish I had been there for you – like you had been for me. Your death and funeral was so quick, I didn’t get the opportunity to rub you brow, hold your hand, or say good-bye. I wasn’t able to attend your funeral, or stand by your grave to whisper a prayer. These special moments eluded me – even to this day.

Harry, you have been gone for years; the friendship that developed during middle school and through adulthood still binds me to you. Each time I visit our hometown, I look for classmates that knew us. My desire is to find your grave. I have not found it as yet – but I will real soon. In May 2011, I found out where your sister lives. My visit to our hometown was short and your sister wasn’t home, but I will return again this year.

Harry, I miss you so much. I still need to stand by your grave, whisper a prayer and say good-bye.

Love always,

Foxie

missycamp
Private E-1

Postby missycamp » Thu May 19, 2011 5:30 pm

My dear beloved husband,

I will miss you for so many reasons. The way you were with our children, your scent, your snoring beside me on our bed. Your comforting voice, the way you used to sing to me and play piano for me, even the way you always seasoned my Hot and Sour soup at Chinese restaurants since our first dinner date, the only one who could get it 'just right'.

You were my rock, my anchor....I relied on your strength when I had none for myself. You were always there for me, to listen and care and love me through the hard times, lending me your 'boulder shoulders'. Your good advice and help in any situation. Your sweet eyes and loving smile. Your understanding, even when understanding me was difficult. Your patience when I was being illogical. I will even miss your sick and twisted sense of humor, because as much I hated that, it was so much a part of you.

I will especially miss our shared love for Depeche Mode. From our first date on, we have shared and enjoyed their music for all our 19 years together. I don't know now when or even if I can ever listen to them again...that group was such a big part of both of us, a uniting force that never waned.

But most of all, I will simply miss your presence. I have lost my best friend on this earth for which there is no replacement. I love you ever so much, my darling. I do not know how to go on without you. But I will keep your love for our family and myself in my heart, and try to be Daddy for our babies. I will pray to you up in heaven to hopefully continue to gain strength from you. I will miss everything about you until the day I die and finally get to be with you again, my one true soul mate.

Your grieving but ever-loving wife,

Missy

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Fri May 20, 2011 3:49 am

Someone who you are extremely close to unexpectedly dies. Write that person a letter explaining what you will miss most about him or her.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My kitchen felt cold, my heart much colder. The warm tea sat untouched on the table next to my homework assignment. Something my therapist recommended I do. She said to write a letter to him, my husband of 16 years. Tell him, she said, what you will miss about him. I didn’t like her tone. It was ringing false to my ears. Her concerned, overly sweet voice putting all the ‘uh-hums’ and silent pauses in just the right places seemed too well practiced.

I stirred my tea and remembered that he always put in a bit too much sugar when he made me a cup. I moved the paper around the table, pushing it with my pencil.

What I miss about you most…

I began, a bit distracted by the phrases whirling through my head. I could have written ‘his smile’ but that had been given long ago to her. “His touch”, well, that went away with the smile. Was there anything I missed about him now that he was dead? Maybe I missed the signs. The ones that were there long before he died, flashing in neon, that we were headed in two different directions. Hell, we weren’t even on the same road. Ironically, we were amiss.

I guess what I miss is not what we had, but what we didn’t do for each other when that gaping abyss of distance loomed larger than we could deal with on our own. Ok, I miss the sound of your voice. Why didn’t you just say something?

I put the pencil down, dumped out the rest of my now cold tea. I realized we had messed up years back. That ‘missing’ something began long before that last cup of tea we shared. The cup in which I, perhaps, stirred in a bit too much arsenic. I didn’t miss anything that time.

readlorey
Private E-1

Postby readlorey » Fri May 20, 2011 5:29 am

Good one Karen. *evil laugh* I like the way you flipped it. hee hee hee

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Fri May 20, 2011 5:57 am

lwaninger
Private E-1

Postby lwaninger » Sat May 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Ott
Private E-1

Postby Ott » Sun May 22, 2011 3:46 pm

So, you have thrown the ultimate temper tantrum. After forty some years of domineering, forty years of emotionally abusing your husband and children, forty years of physically abusing your children, you still did not get your way. So you died. You had two years from the diagnosis of breast cancer to prepare, and you ignored it. You survived the mastectomy, the treatments, and had good prospects of long term survival. You chose to spend your time badgering dad who had given up his job to take care of you. Then you started in on your daughters. No matter what, you demanded attention, obedience, glory, honor, and praise. You could have lived your remaining years in happiness if you just let go of your ego. On my last visit to you in the hospital you were in rare form, accusing me of neglecting you and not caring about your welfare. Never mind that I lived three hours away and that I had been regularly visiting every month; the same as I got on visitation with my daughter. You were upset because you had asked dad to do something the day before, which he hadn't done yet, and wanted me to chastise him for neglect, even to the point of angrily shaking your finger at me and accusing me of cowardice if I didn't do as you demanded. I refused to be cowed, told you that I would choose my own course of action and you would not dictate to me. You went ballistic, calling me a disobedient hellion and yelling at me as I left the room. I returned home, and got the call a week later that you had died. You filed to dominate me or dad, and couldn't reach out and abuse my sisters who lived in other states, so you figuratively held your breath until your face was blue.

I hate what you did
I am sorrowful that we never did reconcile
I miss the mother that you could have been, who was overshadowed by the sick soul of a power-mad control freak
I hope that somewhere in your final moments you realized and repented of your errors

At your funeral , many friends and family got up to praise your virtues. There were many, and I give you credit for them. When they talked about your faith in God, I had to remain silent. I don't think you ever believed in God, I think you believed you WERE God.

For this, I prayed that you found the Truth before you died.

Bess Terrell
Private E-1

Postby Bess Terrell » Mon May 23, 2011 2:32 pm

OBSERVATIONS
by Bess Terrell

There are no arms to hold me
There are no lips to kiss me
There are also no long sighs

There are no feet to warm me
There is no back to support me
There are also no snores