Losing a Loved One - 5/17

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue May 17, 2011 3:19 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue May 17, 2011 3:19 am

Someone who you are extremely close to unexpectedly dies. Write that person a letter explaining what you will miss most about him or her.

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

sns3guppy
Private E-2

RE: Losing a Loved One - 5/17

Postby sns3guppy » Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 am

Laura,

Today I visited your grave again. Yesterday I went back where you finally lay a day before, as though I might find a lost set of car keys. Instead I found my wife. The bed is far too even without you in it, and too wide. I miss you.

Today I awoke at four, looked for an hour into the darkness before it faded with the sun, and I missed you. I began to write to you a short ten hours ago, and now seven paltry sentences later the words still elude me. You’re my muse, Laura. Where did you go?

So many letters over the years, so many sealed envelopes I never sent. I wrote to you from Germany, and later from Spain, and deep in the most forsaken reaches of the desert. I crafted poems for you, love letters, dreams and hope, and every one is carefully preserved in a shoe box under the closet shelf. This one will not join them. I will bury it on your grave tomorrow, and then the shoe box alongside them. I can’t bear to see them again. I only want to join you.

I know you are not in the ground. I feel you here with me, in the house. I cannot see you. I cannot touch you, but I can feel you. Can you feel me?

I’m grateful you’re dead, Laura. God help me, I’m so relieved. I couldn’t bear your suffering any longer. My heart broke with each gasp, each struggle and though I thought I would run short of tears, I did not. When at last you peacefully came to rest, the struggle was over and the guilt all mine as I held the morphine ampoule in my shaking hands and let you go. I would trade my life for yours my dear, but I could not. I couldn’t save you. All I could do I did, and for the time I have left I will carry the pain, not you, my love. I’m so sorry, but it is all I could do. Forgive me love. It’s all I could do.

I remember your laugh. Of course I should, yet it’s been so long since I saw you smile, heard your laughter. The last months were the hardest, and the longest. No man, no woman will ever inspire as you could, head held high until the end just two days past, when you held it up no more. I miss you Laura, but I remember the laugh. The corners of your mouth turned up just so, I couldn’t help but laugh with you. I hope you’re laughing now.

Until death do us part, we vowed, my love. Until death do us part. I must confess now that you’re gone that I lied. I never agreed to part, even in death. My deceit to you was honor. I couldn’t leave you if you died, and I won’t. You have, and I’m here. You must be here too, dear. I hear your laughter now, in the wind outside my windowpane, as I go downstairs to make your tea. I will drink it for you, soon to sleep beside you again. I thought I could not bear your pain, but I can bare the quiet less.

Don’t call this a suicide note, darling. Call it a promise to be with you. Where you went none could follow said the reverend, and all around nodded, save me. I will follow, if only to see you one last time at that moment when the dawn break is neither day nor night, when the dead still talk, and where we can wait out the ages side by side. God bless you darling, and may you both forgive me where I cannot. I will be there soon.
Love,

Michael

Lujayn
Private E-1

Re: Losing a Loved One - 5/17

Postby Lujayn » Tue May 17, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Dad,

Just wanted to remind you my wedding is in a few weeks- I hope you didn't forget. You wouldn't disappoint your only daughter, would you? I've got everything picked out; the dress is gorgeous, the hall's been booked, Little Allawi's got a new suit, he looks adorable in it, the sleeves are slightly too long and the tie is a bit lopsided but its perfect- you should see him- a mini-groom. Oh god, I miss you so much. I really want you to be there. Why? Dad why? Please come back. Please. How am I going to get through this? Every girl dreams of her wedding day surrounded by the people she loves, adored from all angles, starting a new life. It was supposed to be perfect and you were meant to be part of it.

I've got a long list of thing's I wish I'd said to you, things I wish I'd apologised for and things I wish we could have done together. You'd always promised that we'd go to Southend-on-Sea, you promised you'd come to my graduation, you promised you'd be there when i needed you. You lied to me. But I don't care, I'll forgive you if you just come back. Please. Please come back.

I'd do alot of things differently given the chance. I'd listen more, I'd take the time to tell you how much I love you, how much you meant to me. I'd tell you that I always felt safe when I'm with you, I'd tell you how you're my pillar and how I take my strength from you.

Actaully you know what? I hate you. I hate how you've left me alone. I hate that you didnt care enough to stay a bit longer. I hate that you didn't warn me you'd be going away but most of all I hate that the last thing I said to you was "I hate you."

vlmckay
Private E-1

Postby vlmckay » Tue May 17, 2011 10:12 am

As I contemplate your passing, I look back on the memories we shared as husband and wife and wonder where we went wrong and why we couldn't make it work as a couple. As I am about to leave, I see your image standing above your grave and wonder if it is true or just a figment of my imagination. I figure that I am just seeing things so I get up to leave, but something grabs my arm. I turn around and it's you. I ask you what you want and you tell me that you need to solve some issues before moving on to the next realm. We say our final goodbyes to each other and I watch him walk off into the light.

HOLGATEEND
Private E-1

Postby HOLGATEEND » Tue May 17, 2011 11:16 am

You’re gone now and I always knew that your cavalier attitude toward cars going too fast would be your down fall sooner or later. I am angry with you for the heartbreak I mean how many times did I tell you? Just that blank stare, the casual none committal attitude you even yawned on one occasion. But that was you all over, selfish even at times, even though I loved you. Oh yes occasionally there were shows of affection, cuddling up to me in bed then you would go back to your bad ways that worried me so, staying out all night and I never knew where you went. You were demanding, especially about your food, fussy is an understatement and you were even greedy I would say. So why am I crying for you, because I can't get out of my mind the thought of you dying under those wheels. I prey you didn’t suffer but I know for sure one thing, I will never have another cat.

terrimc
Private E-1

Postby terrimc » Tue May 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Dear Beth,
Your funeral was today, and I miss you so much already. They asked me to say a few words in your honor at the service, but I couldn't say just a few words. We have been friends, best friends, since we were nine years old. How could I possibly explain the past 70 years in just a few words? I did my best, I really did. But, you know, I am getting old, and forgetful.
I can remember some of the stuff we have been through.
Remember the first time you kissed a boy? It was in my kitchen, we were both 13, the boy (what was his name?) was all of 15, an older man. And later that evening you called me, giggling as you whispered "My Dad asked me if I had done anything new today!" How many times through the years have we laughed ‘til we cried remembering that?
I will miss laughing with you.
I remember the first time a boy broke my heart. I thought I would die, simply die. You sat up with me all night long, your silence giving me strength to go on. I survived that heartache, and many, many more. You were with me through them all.
I will miss your friendship.
And I can remember being your maid of honor at your first wedding. We were so young, and you were such a beautiful bride. You were the first one to become a parent, and when Sally was born, I beamed as if I were her mother. We have been together for such a long time. We have seen our children grow and become parents themselves.
I will miss sharing the milestones with you.
I remember the night I caught Kevin and that woman. I remember that you never, ever judged me for taking him back. Again and again and again. You stood by me through that divorce, and the other two that I endured until I met Tim. You remained my friend while I was on so many self-destructive roads.
I will miss your undying acceptance of me.
I could go on forever, replaying the lifetime of memories that we have shared. You were the best friend anyone could ever hope for, and I am honored to have known you.

I miss you so much already, Beth, and I will love you always.

Your very best friend forever,
Lisa

terrimc
Private E-1

Postby terrimc » Tue May 17, 2011 1:32 pm

loved it!!

kkerber
Private E-1

Postby kkerber » Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm

You know I love you more than the all stars and moon and trees.
And were it not for living, you would be all that I need
But since I am still living, I must be so far away
So it is that while I'm living, here is where I'll stay
But know no kind of distance can keep my heart from you
Because though I am living, life alone will never do.

melsangelzz
Private E-1

Postby melsangelzz » Tue May 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Hey David,
I hate to say but I think about you more now then I did when you were alive. Shame on me I know. I remember how proud I was to have you as my big brother. When we went to White Sands many, many years ago, I remember how we buried you and uncle Mark in the sand and hid so you could not find us, then you both came out of the sand all crystialized, growling and moaning like zombies as you chased us all around the dunes. That was the best time. Later I remember you scooping me up in your strong arms and throwing me up into the air as I squealed with excitement. That is the best memory I have of you David, the one that sticks with me because I knew you loved me that day. You were my big brother and a complete person at that time in my life. Funny how 49 years later that is the memory I treasure most. I suspose its because shortly after that you met Mr. Brown Stone and began a dance that would last fourty years and take you away from everyone that loved you. I miss and love you very much David and while your painful journey here on earth has ended I have faith that you are in a better place.

Melanie

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges