Diet Journal 6/3-69

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
eagletom
Private E-2

RE: Diet Journal 6/3-69

Postby eagletom » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:11 pm

i liked this

amy
Captain

Postby amy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Two things:

1. How come I only see your writing for these prompts EagleTom?

2. Sure, let's see the before and after shots.

hoperyan
Private E-1

Postby hoperyan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:24 pm

Week 1: Okay, I am really gonna do it this time. Cereal and fruit for breakfast, water all day, no sugar, walk to work, the whole nine yards. So day one, a nice bowl of some healthy cereal that tastes like cardboard. I look in the fridge and there's no fruit, but there is grape jelly. Grapes are fruit, right? I can't eat jelly alone; gotta put it on some toast. Okay, nice big bowl of healthy cereal, milk, toast with jelly and what to drink? Okay no bottled water and the tap water smells too much like chlorine. I'll just grab a diet Dr. Pepper and stock up on bottled water after work. It's diet so it should be okay. Ready to leave for work and determined to walk, I head out to the garage and realize that if I am going to stock up on water, I will have to drive. I'll drive today and walk a mile tonight. Home from work and exhausted from luggin around all of that bottled water, I plop down in front of the tv. I click over to food network. It's research, I think to myself. I will find healthy recipes and plan my meals for the next week.

Week 2: Okay, week 1 was a total bust. I did get a lot of good recipes though. This week I will do better. Weatherman says there is a chance of rain everyday....I can't very well walk in the rain to work, now can I?

Week 3: Office parties all week and I am determined to bring healthy dishes. Strawberries covered in chocolate are not bad, right? Strawberries are fruit and the chocolate is MILK chocolate so there is some calcium in there...

Week 4: Okay, this week I am going to do it. I am going to go shopping for that next size up, because I can no longer fit into anything in my closet. Hey, at least I have an excuse for shopping. Maybe I can take the stairs instead of the escalator when I hit the mall...

Virgo91261
Private E-1

Re: Diet Journal 6/3-69

Postby Virgo91261 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:03 pm

Week 1, Day 1: why in the world have I decided to keep a diet journal? I'm someone who doesn't believe in diets, yet here I am journaling (is that a word?) my progress in Microsoft Word. To quote Dr. Lee in the movie "Drumline:" "Let's get crunk."

Week 2, Day 5: I've almost survived my second week of keeping a diet journal. The first week was an eye-opener: I had no idea how much junk I actually ate. No wonder I'm overweight and cranky. I'll miss my nightly pint of Ben & Jerry's -- whatever flavor I felt like eating (I could open my own Ben & Jerry's store) -- but I can't go on living this way.

Week 3, Day 2: I bought one of those fitness DVDs -- I don't do gyms -- yesterday and you know something...I think I will like it. My body hurts like h-e-double toothpicks and I still want my Ben & Jerry's, but I'm starting to picture myself being smaller and healthier. I had no idea that this would be so friggin' hard!

Week 4, Day 7: they say -- who are "they" anyway? -- that it takes thirty days for people to stick with a habit or behavior. This was my first full week of no junk food (that includes my beloved Ben & Jerry's) and exercising. I actually am starting to feel better about myself by making healthier choices and working out, even when I don't feel like it. Speaking of working out...time to put the DVD in. Catch you after I work out, DJ (Diet Journal)!

eagletom
Private E-2

Postby eagletom » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:43 pm

two things back at ya

1. the pictures mentioned were only part of what i thought the character might offer so it's not really me

2. where else would you suggest i post?

Nocdar
Lieutenant

RE: Diet Journal 6/3-69 ~ The Yuhui Diet

Postby Nocdar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:55 pm

Friday – June 06, 2008

I’ve just finished the diet book, The Yuhui Diet, by Dependra Yuhui and it sounds great. So I’m going to try it and record my results in this journal.

She says that one should prepare the body for proper dieting by a process she calls flushing. So for the first week I’ll only be drinking fluids. In order to maintain my current level of stamina, I’ll take a multivitamin. This is something outlined in the Yuhui diet plan, along with a plan for exercise.

The whole concept presented in the plan is why it makes so much sense to me. Start by flushing out the bad stuff that has accumulated, back it up with a vitamin supplement, and exercise to a comfortable level. It is a matter of eating sensibly after that.

Saturday – June 07, 2008

Morning:

I know that yesterday wasn’t a whole day for the diet, but I feel great and it is still morning. So far, I’ve flushed with several cups of coffee and had my multivitamin. I could feel the inches fading off as I took care of the errands I needed to do. I have a sense of exhilaration and euphoria that cannot be entirely accounted for by the coffee I have been flushing with.

Afternoon:

My friend Paul stopped by and I told him about the diet. He seemed skeptical, but he wished me luck. We chatted at some length and had a few beers while playing several games of horse-shoes. The first game or two I beat him easily, but as he played his aim got better. I did quite a bit of flushing.

The exercise felt great and I thanked him for coming over. After he left, I took a nap.

Evening:

I met up with some of the guys down at the pool hall. It was Jimmy’s birthday today and there was a cake. I had to explain to them that I was flushing on my new diet so I couldn’t have any cake and they were very supportive. I’ll write more before bed.

well the fist day wus a piss of cake i didn’t eat anything but i did do a lot of flashing my frends help me flush and it didn’t even cost me a dime i had so fun play pool and flishing ever diet shud be dis esy i am so gud wid dis diet – i shud be a spook person i havnt got a scale yet bud i now i lost a lot today prolly a few ponds anihow

i gonna slep now i cnat wait to flush sum mor tomoroe

amy
Captain

Postby amy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Eagle Tom:

How about critique central?

Nocdar:

That was good!

Nocdar
Lieutenant

Postby Nocdar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Thankee, I should play in the prompts more... They can be fun.

sanista
Private E-1

Re: Diet Journal 6/3-69

Postby sanista » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:36 pm

week 1
the weather is bad. my skin turned bad. winter's over. winter weight is not. stupid supervisor b**** said i'm fat when i'm just almost perfect for my BMI. i'm still technically underweight. she's just insecure... that i'm a foreigner and that i am younger than her! ok anyway, see what happens this month. i need to lose the winter fat and get back to pre-beijing shape.

week 2
fruits, water, fruits. no oily chinese food (esp sichuan) for a week - that was fine. but i dont see much changes. been lifting my 7lb weights as i watch 'chuck' and nip/tuck season 5. i guess i need to do more cycling. but i barely recovered from a bad shingles episode 2 weeks ago. better not cycle.

week 3
ok - can finally fit into my pre-beijing jeans again without having to hold a deep breath to pull up the zipper! but arms are still rather heavy though. supposed to sign-up for kickboxing class few days back but was too lazy to head to jianwai soho. it's ok. i love my power bars and my granola bars from france. imported food in carrefour is getting better. as in, the selection...

week 4
2kgs down - arms not that 'good' but tummy's flatter - did i even mention that i haven't been smoking for 2 months straight? used to be a 20-sticks per day person. ok, time to cycle to bookworm - let's hope i could stay away from those rather yummy oily chinese food again. maybe i'll hit yunnan cuisine tonight - fungi and mushrooms are their 'staple' - well, sort of. weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

FountainPen
Private E-1

Postby FountainPen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 am

My belief in eating is not for pleasure or comfort, but for survival. I have taught myself that it isn’t what you eat its how you eat it. Everything out there is ok to eat, but you can’t eat it all willy-nilly.
Self-control is big part of weight loss. You can’t fly off the handle. Of course, I’m not talking about shooting someone because you’re hungry, but you can’t go to your refrigerator and empty the contents into your gaping mouth.
Americans believe that if you eat, you are well off. Dinner and a movie is the typical date. For any special occasion, (i.e. mother’s day, father’s day, valentine’s day, etc. etc.) we make reservations at our favorite restaurant and order our favorite dish. “So, where are you going for lunch?” This is the most common question in the office. I understand that eating is a social activity, but I think that we are overindulging.
We changed the definition of the American dream. People think that buying and winning the lottery is the American dream but it isn’t. Immigrants came here not for that American dream, but to work hard, strive and sacrifice to make their lives better.
Being born into the lotto winning American dream, isn’t for me. I know that I can’t get something for nothing. I can’t get a fit body by just stop eating. I know that…do you? Losing weight is easy, but keeping it off that’s the hard part. Some say, ‘I can diet for several weeks, but I give up and splurge on bacon wrapped muffins that are dipped in chocolate and wash it down with an Energy drink, oh and a turkey.’ Bull!!! That’s disgusting. If you think that sounds good…you’re right, but it’ll kill you. I’m just kidding. That’s gross.

Ok, here is the deal: successful people say, “to be successful surround yourself with successful people.” Surround yourself with people that have healthy lives. I don’t know many that have good healthy lives, so I have to pave my own road to success. You can hang out with me if you want. Do as I do.

Ride my beach cruiser to work. I have 2 cups of coffee and one biscuit.

For lunch, I walk around my building, and have one PB&J and a Coke.

Ride my bike back home, and have Basmati rice and one chicken breast on the good ol George Forman. I read for about one hour.

“Wow!!! That is it?” Yeah, that’s it you fat slob. “Boo hoo hoo! I’m so hungry!!!” Stop your crying and lets have a Donner Party if you’re so hungry. Take the spoon out of your face and start moving. Your date doesn’t think that you look good with a chicken wing hanging from your greasy lips anyways. Sexercising is much better than food gobbling (just be safe). So skip the dinner and go straight to dissert. There are only three things you need to remember: Mind, Body, and Mind. Peace and Serenity!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges