[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Diet Journal 6/3-69 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Diet Journal 6/3-69

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Lisanne
Private E-1

RE: Diet Journal 6/3-69

Postby Lisanne » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 pm

I managed to stay within the word count limit this time (499 total), but I didn't do weekly journal entries for the first month. Oh well, my way made for more of a story, IMO. Maybe I'll try again with this prompt later in the week. At least it got me writing.

Now if I'd just do some writing on one of the book ideas I have...

Wanda, your Week 4 entry was genius! I'm still laughing. "Dear Diarrhea" ...

Bullethead, not bad, but too horrific for me. I'll have nightmares.

sueseebee
Private E-1

Postby sueseebee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:43 am

Week 1: Good morning body. Now you know that I love you just the way you are. Those dimples on the butt and the cottage cheese on the thighs are just proof positive of how much I love to give you things. But it’s time to readjust our beliefs. Just a little bit. Oh, don’t worry, you will still be my favorite body. But honestly, I’m tired of wondering who that fat person is when I walk by a store window. I hate it when I realize it’s my own reflection. So, dear body, dear friend, it’s time to do something different. Oh, don’t worry, we’re not going to be silly about it. It’s just points. And we get lots of points every day. And extra points for the week. Yep, you and me, body, we’re going to do this thing.

Week 2: Wow, what a great week. I stepped on that scale and there were six whole pounds gone! Oh, yeah, I know it’s just “water-weight” but hey, something had to give. And all that water I’ve been drinking and p…well, you know, had to take some of those fat cells with it. Not enough to squeeze into my second-level of jeans though, so I’ll put them back in the drawer for what, another week? And let’s talk about points. Who knew how many points were in that twice-baked potato? I mean, come on, sixteen? That’s like, more than half of what I was suppose to have for the day. Oh well, another week is coming.

Week 3: Up three pounds??? How is that possible? And I didn’t appreciate the explanation, done very slowly and with small words, reminding me about water weight and actual fat loss takes time. And what’s with the thing that I’m not suppose to use all my extra points in one day? What am I suppose to do when my friends are having pizza and wings? Just sit there and drink water? Light beer is supposed to be light! And wings and pizza have all the basic food groups. Well, most of them anyway. Won’t try the jeans on this week. Maybe I should cancel that thong and teddy order for now.

Week 4: Just read a really great article. Talked about how heavy people can be healthy people. Maybe that’s what I need to do. Get healthy. I mean, I haven’t had to get an extension for my seatbelt on the plane yet. And I still have numbers left on my scale. But I still have eight paid weeks left in the program. How many clothes will they let me take off before I step on those scales? It’s mostly women in the room, right? Well, I’ll think about it later. The oven timer just went off. Need to get the ‘Better-Than-Sex’ cake out of the oven, see if it’s as good as the last one.

Bellestory23
Private E-1

Re: Diet Journal 6/3-69

Postby Bellestory23 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:45 am

It's time to diet, again. I am over the hill, over weight and over it completely. I have decided that at my age ,being fat is okay, but darn it, I have promised myself to be a good looking corpse.

Week 1:
This scale is broken! I knew I needed to buy a better one. Even completely naked( now that is a depressing sight) I haven't even lost a pound.Liar, liar. Cheap no good piece of junk! I have eaten nothing but salads all week. I know I have lost weight. You cannot starve and stay a size sixteen. (That too may be somewhat of a tall tale but who's to know?)
Try harder. Got to look good for my funeral.

Week 2:
Ahh that is better. Fifty dollar scales don't lie. A weight loss of five pounds. I am so proud of myself. I think a celebration is in order. One little piece of cheesecake will not hurt and I do owe myself a reward. Dieting is difficult. Reports say that women loose slower than men and the older we get the more difficult weight loss becomes. But I will accept five pounds. I wonder if that is a one or two week total? Nah, It is definitely one week. I am soooo good at this.

Week 3:
No, no, nooooooooooo. Lousy ,good for nothing , cheap scale. There is no way I have gained back two pounds. I hardly cheated at all! It's slow metabolism. I suspected all along I had a thyroid problem. What do doctors know anyway? It seems to me that if I pay seventy five dollars for a test ,then I should get back positive results. What about Oprah? She yo yo-ed and finally discovered the thyroid problem. It's not fair. I should be able to have the same problems as TV stars! I am giving it one more week then finding a new and better doctor. Maybe thyroid and possibly some other problem that causes weight gain. After all I eat like a bird.

Week 4:
Well the dieting is definitely done for. The stupid scale is wrong again. I have starved, I have done without everything that tastes good . Well ,the hot fudge sundae was pretty tasty but, I made it out of low fat ice cream, sugar free pineapple, chocolate, whipped cream and ...perhaps the pecans and cherries had a few calories. I think I just have a very slow metabolism. Obviously this diet is made for younger people. I think next week I will try the eight meal a day diet. Yeah, that sounds more to my liking. Just eat eight times a day and get skinny. I can live with that. Before I wear myself out on a new diet I think maybe I should take a week off. I have heard it said that you should shock your system in between diets. Wonder how shocking a Mississippi Mud " cake would be? yummmmm!

Rachel Stockton
Private E-1

Postby Rachel Stockton » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Week 1

Okay, this is probably my “weigh” of avoiding what I’m supposed to be CONFRONTING in this damn journal, but I’m going to press ahead. I have to wonder if this “diary” thing is meant to distract me from the fact that I’m hopeless. I mean, HELL, journaling is supposed to be the cure all for depression, substance abuse, blah blah blah. I am pretty doubtful that journaling is truly the cure for all physical and psychological ills.

Week 2

poop unicorns and rainbows, I did the journal thing like I’m supposed to do. In looking back over the “history” of the prior week, I see that it’s a reflection of my ENTIRE EXISTENCE. On Monday, I was “good”, beginning of the week thing, to be sure. I ate balanced meals, and kept my calorie intake under 1600. Tuesday, I had a sugar craving that was possessing my every thought, so I bought some of those high dollar ice cream bars. Not just one, mind you, several of them. I ate like deprived tiger introduced to a stack of bloody red, T-bone steaks.

Week 3

Self reflection. That’s it. That is the point of this journaling thing. I hate doing that. I want practicality. I want a PRESCRIPTION that will cure me of this god awful weight problem. I want a list of “to-dos” and “to-don’ts” that I can follow, in rote form, and be successful. I’ve not gotten that from my weight counselor. She looks at me, with the same expression my therapist looks at me when I’ve said something inane, and I realize, “Okay, maybe I shouldt stop fighting this.” I’m committed to opening up my mind, this week.

Week 4

I am an all or nothing kind of person. I understand now. I get it. Overindulgence and addiction are driven by compulsions we don’t even know exist until we try to better ourselves. I can’t eat just one damn donut – I have to have as many as I can without gagging.

I don’t know. If I can get a handle on my behavior, maybe, maybe, I’ll make progress. But, to truly do that, I’m going to have to redefine my idea of success. Instead of a “one-donut-and-you’ve-blown-it” mindset, I have to reframe things to something like “One donut, no big deal. Tomorrow is another day.”

Now excuse me while I go out for tacos and margaritas.

rhianna
Private E-1

Postby rhianna » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Hmm. Felipe, so is the trigger for the diets! Never thought of that.  I love your story.

deb1973
Private E-1

Postby deb1973 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Week 1: Salads all week. Gave up the cola and chocolate. I’m on my way!!

Week 2: First trip to the gym. OMG!! I didn’t know I had those muscles. I may never recover. The trainer is really cute, but I may have to slash his tires on my way out.

Week 3: Made a new friend at the gym today. She’s a petite size 6 and she loved telling me about the filet mignon and caramel sundae she had for dinner last night. Too bad that cast on her foot from the dumb bell I “accidentally” dropped will tip the scales for her. Maybe next week I can help her lose those 2 inch press on nails.

Week 4: Neighbors pet rabbit ate my lettuce and someone smashed the tomatoes with a 12 pack of cola. Not sure what to do about my diet menu now, so I’m having vanilla ice cream with the works while I regroup. The banana makes it healthy, right?!!

Bremnere
Private E-1

Postby Bremnere » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Week 1: I pull out the bathroom scale and a veil of fluff drifts from the non-slip surface. The numbers jiggle under the myopic glass as I adjust the dial to zero. I straighten up and tug at my unforgiving jeans, releasing the denim from my crimped skin. Before the scale’s whirling dial settles on some horrible number, I tell myself: Don’t do this. Go by how you feel in your clothes. Ha! That’s easy:
I feel like I’m in a disco pants nightmare.

Week 2: I decide that wearing “skinny” jeans (like a hair shirt) does not motivate me to lose weight. I can’t function with a Starbucks-size muffin top spilling over the top of my pants. I don my stretch pants - in black, of course. Comfort works as a positive reinforcement at this point.

Week 3: I am always in the kitchen. The garbage disposal should have a complex. I am constantly feeding my face: the kids’ leftovers, the cookies while the coffee brews, the tidbits from the fridge while I try to remember why I went there. What I crave, I realize, is “bubble and crunch”; I stock up on Perrier and baby carrots.
I release myself from confines of the kitchen and tackle some Red Hot Salsa – that’s what the DVD is called. I shimmy, swivel and wiggle, ignoring my clunky reflection in the mirror, because for forty minutes each day, I am the Latina of my living room.

Week 4: Today is the day. I ignore the scale, and head straight for the jeans. They are fresh out of the dryer, tensile and unrelenting. I suck everything in as I ease them over my thighs; so far, so good. How do they feel? Hey, I can zip them up … without the coat hanger!

Lisanne
Private E-1

Postby Lisanne » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Ms. Wright
Private E-1

Postby Ms. Wright » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:27 am

My Diet Journal

Week One:

I have now embarked on a wonderful new weight-loss program. Unlike previous programs I’ve tried, this one looks like it will really work. In fact, I can’t believe that I actually fell for the previous diets—the low-carb diet, the high-carb diet, the one in which I paid for expensive meals that came in the mail, and the weight-loss center that I never had time to go to. This program is easy and realistic. I’ve made the necessary preparations. I’ve thrown out all the junk food that I was keeping in the house and bought the wholesome, nourishing food that the diet recommends. I set aside time in my schedule every morning to exercise. And, of course, I started this journal in a gorgeous hard-covered diary with roses on the cover. I plan to get started with the cooking and the fitness program tomorrow. I’m so excited to start my new life!

Week Two:

I’ve had a good week. I exercised every morning, even though it was a struggle to get out of bed sometimes. I had to push my husband away a few times. Why does he want to make me fail at this? Does he want me to be fat? Must be strong! I’ve been eating the meals, but I did cheat once. I had one and a half cookies yesterday afternoon. But I stopped myself! I threw the last half away, went for a brisk walk to remove myself from temptation, and drank three glasses of water after I got back in order to wash it out of my system. I have to forgive myself for that setback.

Week Three:

I’ve hit a stride with the diet. Although I was very passionate about it in the beginning, I have relaxed my standards a bit to make it something I can live with for the long haul. I’ve been staying in bed most days, mostly because my hubby is so cuddly. Hey, it’s good for our relationship, and that makes it a healthy choice. I’ve had pizza twice this week, but that’s okay, because you have to treat yourself on occasion. I can still use some of that diet food next week. I’ll save money if I don’t buy it every week.

Week Four:

Actually, it’s four months later. I don’t remember what happened with this diet; I just know that I’ve gained another twenty pounds since I stopped writing in here. I don’t know what I was thinking, going on that crazy diet. Of course it wasn’t going to work. I’m putting this journal to better use by turning it into a diary. That’s what it’s supposed to be, anyway.

SillyPoet
Private E-1

Postby SillyPoet » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:57 am

Diet diary: Pants too tight, so I'm dieting and documenting my weight loss. Trying the meat and cheese diet. No bread, pasta or grains of any kind.

Week one: This diet is fantastic! Eggs and bacon every morning, chicken salad (with REAL mayonaise!) and steak for dinner. YUM! I could do this forever!

Week two: Lost two pounds but want, no, NEED bread, pasta and cereal! I make it for my family, so why can't I have some too? It smells SO good! Changed diet to grains only- how can you gain weight from just grains?

Week three: Gained three pounds and lack the strength to move. Changed to totally veggie diet, making sure I have a lot of beans for protien, and greens for better health. And LOTS of water!

Week four: Tired of being in the bathroom. Cancelled the exterminator because I pretty much killed off every living thing by passing bean gas. Decided to buy bigger pants, a bucket of fried chicken and a fudge cake.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges