Hybrid of what I like

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Alienscifi
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Hybrid of what I like

Postby Alienscifi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm

When I write science fiction stories, I want a believable hybrid mixture of what I like. When George Lucas read Hero with a Thousand Faces, he created a SF movie series that did its job and expand the imagination of numerous movie viewers. Believe it or not, I nearly had a chance to talk with George Lucas about my ideas. But no such luck. What I want to do is to masterfully blend the studies I do and what I like. Here's a list of things.

1. Combine Sub-Genres, Space Opera, Hard SF, Soft SF, Speculative SF and so on.
2. Take what I learn from Reported E.T.s and Conspiracy Theories, add real science to create a setting that makes Alien Abduction and Intelligent Martians more believable for the reading audience.
3. Put SF, normally good for Mass Market Books, into Graphic Novels to create SF graphic novels that both Hard SF fans and comic book fans will like.
4. Put all aliens in same setting: Reported Aliens, Speculative Biology and so on. Take Reported Aliens and use real science to make them believable, such as explaining that the Greys who abduct people are actually alien cyborg drones working with and for other aliens.

There's more coming.

User avatar
pls
 
Posts: 6689
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:52 am

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby pls » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Your SF ideas have merit. However, until you can meld them into a story, they have little chance of being published.

Keep in mind that in any form of story-telling, a main character will be subjected to a problem, or multiple problems, which s/he will be forced to solve. In SF, usually this problem must be solved in order for the MC to survive. At the end of the story, the MC will realize a truth about life in an "a-HA" moment. This point is called the "climax", and without it a story is not a story but merely a string of incidents.

Finally, keep in mind that character is revealed through conflict (man against man, man against nature, man against an idea, etc.), but personality is revealed through dialogue. Without conflict, there's no story. Without dialogue, there's no interest, and your "story" is probably just a summary of a story, not the story itself.

Alienscifi
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby Alienscifi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Can I tell you what I will have in my stories or about the characters?

User avatar
mammamaia
 
Posts: 6472
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby mammamaia » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:54 am

not here... this section is for discussing a specific wd contest... please pay better attention to the explanation of each section, before starting a thread...

Moderator's note: this topic was moved from the inappropriate forum to this one for further discussion -pls.
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Alienscifi
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby Alienscifi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:07 pm

pls wrote:Your SF ideas have merit. However, until you can meld them into a story, they have little chance of being published.

Keep in mind that in any form of story-telling, a main character will be subjected to a problem, or multiple problems, which s/he will be forced to solve. In SF, usually this problem must be solved in order for the MC to survive. At the end of the story, the MC will realize a truth about life in an "a-HA" moment. This point is called the "climax", and without it a story is not a story but merely a string of incidents.

Finally, keep in mind that character is revealed through conflict (man against man, man against nature, man against an idea, etc.), but personality is revealed through dialogue. Without conflict, there's no story. Without dialogue, there's no interest, and your "story" is probably just a summary of a story, not the story itself.


I like you took interest instead of locking. So, can I tell more? List more or tell story plots with "climax" and "a-Ha" moments or methods for doing it?

User avatar
pls
 
Posts: 6689
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:52 am

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby pls » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:48 am

Alienscifi wrote:
pls wrote:Your SF ideas have merit. However, until you can meld them into a story, they have little chance of being published.

Keep in mind that in any form of story-telling, a main character will be subjected to a problem, or multiple problems, which s/he will be forced to solve. In SF, usually this problem must be solved in order for the MC to survive. At the end of the story, the MC will realize a truth about life in an "a-HA" moment. This point is called the "climax", and without it a story is not a story but merely a string of incidents.

Finally, keep in mind that character is revealed through conflict (man against man, man against nature, man against an idea, etc.), but personality is revealed through dialogue. Without conflict, there's no story. Without dialogue, there's no interest, and your "story" is probably just a summary of a story, not the story itself.


I like you took interest instead of locking. So, can I tell more? List more or tell story plots with "climax" and "a-Ha" moments or methods for doing it?


Okay, but I'm going to move this to a more appropriate forum so others can do the same thing.

This is where I recommend that you read as many examples of SF stories as you can - not for entertainment, but for education. Read them closely. Find those "a-Ha" moments yourself and consider how the author created them.

The climax of any true short story occurs when the main character learns a truth about life, hence the "a-Ha" moment. In the story he's been in conflict with some entity - another character, the setting, a belief or idea, whatever - and at the climax he either understands what he needs to do to conform to "life", or he rejects the solution to the problem and returns to his old ways. See if you can find short stories which match this pattern.

James A. Ritchie
 
Posts: 3120
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am

Alienscifi wrote:When I write science fiction stories, I want a believable hybrid mixture of what I like. When George Lucas read Hero with a Thousand Faces, he created a SF movie series that did its job and expand the imagination of numerous movie viewers. Believe it or not, I nearly had a chance to talk with George Lucas about my ideas. But no such luck. What I want to do is to masterfully blend the studies I do and what I like. Here's a list of things.

1. Combine Sub-Genres, Space Opera, Hard SF, Soft SF, Speculative SF and so on.
2. Take what I learn from Reported E.T.s and Conspiracy Theories, add real science to create a setting that makes Alien Abduction and Intelligent Martians more believable for the reading audience.
3. Put SF, normally good for Mass Market Books, into Graphic Novels to create SF graphic novels that both Hard SF fans and comic book fans will like.
4. Put all aliens in same setting: Reported Aliens, Speculative Biology and so on. Take Reported Aliens and use real science to make them believable, such as explaining that the Greys who abduct people are actually alien cyborg drones working with and for other aliens.

There's more coming.



Good ideas, but until you write them, that's all they are. Sit down and write. Then write some more. Get up tomorrow morning and do it again. Rinse and repeat. Ideas get you nowhere. Turning teh ideas into good stories is what matters. There's no reason you can't learn to do this, but you have to spend more time writing, and less time trying to find someone else to do it for you. You have what it takes, and if you focus your energy on actually writing, on learning how to tell a story yourself, you'll probably get where you want to be.

User avatar
Lilly Starshine
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby Lilly Starshine » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:42 pm

So you almost got a chance to talk with George Lucus. That is just awesome. We should totally hang out. Believe it or not, George Lucus is comeing over this weekend for a party. It is just going to be a small gathering, just George and the Queen and the entire cast of "The Big Bang Theory." We are meeting up at my little beach house in Arizona. Everyone just loves the ocean view....

I'm just messin' with ya. I am feeling a bit ornrey tonight so smile and think about the type of conversation that would accure at that type of party. In retrospect, it might have been funnier if I had replaced "The Big Bang Theory" with the cast from Star Trek,TNG. As a sci-fi buff you should apprieciat this senerio.

(sorry about the typos, cant find the spellchecker.)

User avatar
mammamaia
 
Posts: 6472
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby mammamaia » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:47 am

(sorry about the typos, cant find the spellchecker.)

oh?... sorry to hear that... so, where do you think you might have mislaid your brain? ;)
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

User avatar
Lilly Starshine
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Hybrid of what I like

Postby Lilly Starshine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:06 pm

My brain....Well,...er...I will let you know when I find it. It's kinda' a funny story...It all started when I was born....(sigh)


Return to Writers' Block Party

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests