[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Age : Conversation question • Page 16 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
scratch
Colonel

RE: Age

Postby scratch » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 am

I've discovered that aside from learning the mechanics of it, my writing hasn't changed with age, so much as with experience.  I've always been a happy, optomistic person (with an admittedly over-developed sense of sarcasm [optomistic cynic--what a life]), and my writing usually reflects that.

When my dad died five years ago, my writing got noticibly darker.  It mirrored the feelings I had in me.  Then I crawled back into the light, and it showed.

A couple of years ago, things started to go really bad in my marriage.  Things got very dark again.  The marriage is over, I've been through hell, and hauled my writing through it with me.

I'm happy again now.  The darkness I went through does show itself in my work sometimes, and it always will.  It's part of me, and will be with me for the rest of my life.  I think it makes me more rounded, both as a person and as a writer.

To quote Indiana Jones, "It ain't the years, honey.  It's the mileage."

Maine Writer
Private First Class

Postby Maine Writer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:09 pm

I began writing in junior high school back in the early 1970's. At the time it was just a hobby - something I was good at. Over the years I thought about writing stories, but life seemed to take me in other directions. Now, almost 50 years old, I feel as though my time has come to be the writer I always thought I should be. And there is nothing in my way, at this stage in my life, to pull me away from my destination. :emoticon:

This is my time to shine. :emoticon: :)

panacea
Private E-1

Postby panacea » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:19 am

dannebme
Private E-1

Postby dannebme » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:34 am

Since I didn't even consider writing as a career until after my 40th birthday, (& I haven't quite made it to the big 5-0 just yet) I can't really say that age has changed my writing at all... ;)

What does affect writing the most, IMO, is experience. There are some young people with a wealth of experience to draw on, but mostly that does come with the years. I'm sure, had I attempted any of this twenty or even ten years earlier, my stories -- and more important, my characters -- would not have been as well drawn as they are now. And I'm sure, ten years from now, when I look back at what I've written to this point, I will blush with shame, & indulge in extensive revisions. :o

Chandara5
Private E-2

Re: Age

Postby Chandara5 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:10 pm

I am better now twenty years later. I could never have learned the craft when I was younger. I had passion but no form. I had ideas but no direction. I had my large electronic typewriter with no ability to delete and now there is word! What bliss!

Bridgetoo
Private E-1

Postby Bridgetoo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:17 pm

I started writing as soon as I could make letters and group them together into words, kindergarten. I never took my writing seriously until seventh grade when I realized I loved it and I began posting my writing online. My first novel was nine chapters long and each chapter was about two pages so I don't consider it a novel. Obviously, that in itself is a large improvement. My spelling has improved and my grammar and punctuation as well. I have learned things not only from the critiques I get but from others past sucesses which has compelled me to learn marketing skills and more computer skills so that I can further improve. I'm always looking for improvement and if you read my first novels and the novels I'm working on now there would be a vast improvement.

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:18 pm

I may not even be sixteen yet, but I have noticed that through the few years that i have been writing, an enormous transformation has occurred. My writing changes, not just in a year, but in months. I am developing as a writing every day, but there is one thing that always remains the same. And that is my style. I have noticed that when comparing my writng from two years back to that of today, the way that I write with that poetic sense and ongoing flow with longer sentences and a sense of feel has been there for a very long time.
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

Previous

Return to Conversation question