[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Age : Conversation question • Page 15 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Re: Age

Postby ecoll » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 am

writermom2661
Private E-1

RE: Age

Postby writermom2661 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:53 am

Great question, fun reading everyone's answers. For me, I've noticed that there's more of an urgency to my writing. Being more aware of my mortality makes me feel every word counts more and I have recently made it a priority in my life, whereas when I was younger, there was always a "someday" as in "someday, when (the kids are older, etc., fill in the blank) I'll have more time to write". Well, the time is now. And I am enjoying it more too.

writermom2661
Private E-1

Postby writermom2661 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:53 am

Great question, fun reading everyone's answers. For me, I've noticed that there's more of an urgency to my writing. Being more aware of my mortality makes me feel every word counts more and I have recently made it a priority in my life, whereas when I was younger, there was always a "someday" as in "someday, when (the kids are older, etc., fill in the blank) I'll have more time to write". Well, the time is now. And I am enjoying it more too.

Queenahrts
Private E-1

Postby Queenahrts » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:20 pm

I have done many things different in my writing over the years. I used to sit in class in high school and write one story after another, but never finish anything. I did nothing in the line of research, character development or plot outline. Now I take the time to meet my characters, find out who they are, learn more about the three dimensional world they live in so I can follow as closely as possible. I outline points I would like to make in the story, as well as different scenes and scenarios that I think would fit. I also found a love for research. The more I learn about my storyline, the better equipped I am when it comes to forming real issues. I no longer write about the red and amber car.

Queenahrts
Private E-1

Postby Queenahrts » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:20 pm

I have done many things different in my writing over the years. I used to sit in class in high school and write one story after another, but never finish anything. I did nothing in the line of research, character development or plot outline. Now I take the time to meet my characters, find out who they are, learn more about the three dimensional world they live in so I can follow as closely as possible. I outline points I would like to make in the story, as well as different scenes and scenarios that I think would fit. I also found a love for research. The more I learn about my storyline, the better equipped I am when it comes to forming real issues. I no longer write about the red and amber car.

Lexi
Commander in Chief

Postby Lexi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:58 am

After nine years of marriage, I've found that my writing from a male perspective is much more believable than it was before.  The more experiences I have with different types of people, the more I am able to diversify my characters.  Overall, I feel that as I age I am able to see more of the complete picture of things, whereas my writing as a teenager, for example, had a narrow focus.

RambleDown
Private E-2

Postby RambleDown » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:32 am

Mainly the semicolon.

Okay, maybe not JUST the semicolon; I've learned how to use all kinds of big words and punctuation since I was a little shaver... But the real quest is to maintain that playful, imaginative child that came up with all those crazy stories back in the day.

And that's hard with all this awful, grown-up life demanding my time and attention.

My mother, bless her sweet soul, kept all of the Big Chief notebooks (okay, I just dated myself) that I filled up with wild stories. In one, our hero gets pushed out of a plane without a parachute, but it just happens to be over a snowy, mountainous region. So what does he do? Why naturally, he pulls out his two handguns and starts shooting at the mountain tops to start an avalanche. Softens the fall. He climbs out, brushes himself off and runs off to the nearest town.

Sometimes, I get so jealous of the younger me.

Kaylynn
Private E-1

Postby Kaylynn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 am

I have been writing since before I physically knew how to write. I would "write" my grandma letters after we moved away. They were just squiggles but my mom said I poured my heart out in to each one, crying as I wrote it.

Over the last 23 years, my writing has progressed to a point where I finally am entertained all right with it. I used to be my own worst critic, picking apart every other word when my friends and family were laughing and crying and being entertained by the plot. Now I've learned to find enjoyment in my own writing and really see it for what it is.

Kaylynn
Private E-1

Postby Kaylynn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 am

I have been writing since before I physically knew how to write. I would "write" my grandma letters after we moved away. They were just squiggles but my mom said I poured my heart out in to each one, crying as I wrote it.

Over the last 23 years, my writing has progressed to a point where I finally am entertained all right with it. I used to be my own worst critic, picking apart every other word when my friends and family were laughing and crying and being entertained by the plot. Now I've learned to find enjoyment in my own writing and really see it for what it is.

scratch
Colonel

Postby scratch » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 am

I've discovered that aside from learning the mechanics of it, my writing hasn't changed with age, so much as with experience.  I've always been a happy, optomistic person (with an admittedly over-developed sense of sarcasm [optomistic cynic--what a life]), and my writing usually reflects that.

When my dad died five years ago, my writing got noticibly darker.  It mirrored the feelings I had in me.  Then I crawled back into the light, and it showed.

A couple of years ago, things started to go really bad in my marriage.  Things got very dark again.  The marriage is over, I've been through hell, and hauled my writing through it with me.

I'm happy again now.  The darkness I went through does show itself in my work sometimes, and it always will.  It's part of me, and will be with me for the rest of my life.  I think it makes me more rounded, both as a person and as a writer.

To quote Indiana Jones, "It ain't the years, honey.  It's the mileage."

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question