[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Age : Conversation question • Page 14 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Rozita
Private E-1

RE: Age

Postby Rozita » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:53 pm

The thing that has changed the most for me is that I can be patient enough to plan out
an entire story before actually writing it. I had no comprehension of where to start, and that left me with endless unfinished stories.

When I was very young I loved making up stories and fantasy worlds, then between the ages of 11-14 I did a lot
of comics, one that, at first I was very proud of with cats in a made up world of mine, turned out to be nothing but a bunch of pretty pictures and cute kittens or fierce battles. I just got a basic idea, and rushed right into it, without results every time. So I would naturally get bored after running out of ideas and stop it.

After thinking maybe writing just wasn't my thing for a while, I would once in a while come up with a poem, or
play around with a little story idea not realizing my problem. But once I had that comprehension of story development, I just didn't have any story ideas that I thought anything of. Then, about a year ago now, (I am 18 currently, much time to learn in my writing journey to come I'm sure) I sat down to attempt to write a little ghost story being very interested in the subject of spirits and something snapped in me. I got what seems to me one of the most brilliant ideas ever, and the past year has been spent planning the story. And my new year's resolution is to finish it this year, but I also want to try to make it the best I can, so I will learn if that goal is too ambitious or not. Following that idea came many more, so I believe from here I will have enough decent stories to last me a lifetime. Or so I can hope. :)

My little sister also has a love of writing, and I find she has the same problem so far as I did, with patience and story development. So I hope as I learn more I can help her learn more along the way. Although I won't be surprised is she is successful one day. One thing she has that I did not have, and might still not have, is great writing skill. I know I can tell a great story, but I don't know how to judge my writing. She recently did a paper for school on peer pressure for a writing class, and her teacher loved her paper so much she is using it for next year's curriculum in the class. So she will surely be fun to watch as she improves.

LynBergeson
Private E-1

Postby LynBergeson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:05 pm

The problem with writing at an older age is that if you have been lazy and haven't written for a while, going back to recapture a story - that should have been written in it's "era"- is harder because you just aren't in that moment any more. I can recount things that happened to me in the past 45 years with clarity, but not with the essence of that moment. But the advantage of writing something now, a story that happened long ago, is that I can add some moxy or humor to it. But then does it just become a boring middle-age viewpoint of my younger years? I say, "Who the hell cares?" I lived the story, I own it. Writing now is crucial to me. I feel motivated because of the age I am at, and by the fact that I have a young child who could some day find my writing useful to untangle all the things I may not have a chance to explain later. Like when I have lost my mind. I have also been motivated by my deceased grandmother, who sometimes told us the truth about her life, but mostly made up stories because she was too ashamed to tell us what she was really up to. She motivated me to tell it like it is/was. I want to hear stories about people who led real lives full of pain and injustice and bad choices and poop unicorns and rainbows marriages and foreclosures, because I have something in common with them.....plus it gives me courage to write my own tarnished script. (Sorry, geez that came out corny. I swear I didn't plan that.)

Writing when you are younger, then looking back on it, is fun and sobering When I was in 18 and in college, I took a psychology class where we were required to keep a daily journal. I really wish I hadn't lost that thing. It was filled with the typical angst and ridiculous choices I made because I was so young. At the end of the term, my teacher wrote the following in the back of the journal: "Your journal will make for very entertaining reading in ten years."

LynBergeson
Private E-1

Postby LynBergeson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:05 pm

The problem with writing at an older age is that if you have been lazy and haven't written for a while, going back to recapture a story - that should have been written in it's "era"- is harder because you just aren't in that moment any more. I can recount things that happened to me in the past 45 years with clarity, but not with the essence of that moment. But the advantage of writing something now, a story that happened long ago, is that I can add some moxy or humor to it. But then does it just become a boring middle-age viewpoint of my younger years? I say, "Who the hell cares?" I lived the story, I own it. Writing now is crucial to me. I feel motivated because of the age I am at, and by the fact that I have a young child who could some day find my writing useful to untangle all the things I may not have a chance to explain later. Like when I have lost my mind. I have also been motivated by my deceased grandmother, who sometimes told us the truth about her life, but mostly made up stories because she was too ashamed to tell us what she was really up to. She motivated me to tell it like it is/was. I want to hear stories about people who led real lives full of pain and injustice and bad choices and poop unicorns and rainbows marriages and foreclosures, because I have something in common with them.....plus it gives me courage to write my own tarnished script. (Sorry, geez that came out corny. I swear I didn't plan that.)

Writing when you are younger, then looking back on it, is fun and sobering When I was in 18 and in college, I took a psychology class where we were required to keep a daily journal. I really wish I hadn't lost that thing. It was filled with the typical angst and ridiculous choices I made because I was so young. At the end of the term, my teacher wrote the following in the back of the journal: "Your journal will make for very entertaining reading in ten years."

AngelRoseDarke
Sergeant Major

Re: Age

Postby AngelRoseDarke » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm 27 now, and I started writing as a small child. When I was younger I was greatly influenced by what I read. My plot ideas and style would mimic the current book I was reading. When I started a new book the idea would leave me and a new one would form. My writing was not truly my own. Now, I have developed my own style. I have taken all the influences that have come through my life and created something that is me.

AngelRoseDarke
Sergeant Major

Postby AngelRoseDarke » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm 27 now, and I started writing as a small child. When I was younger I was greatly influenced by what I read. My plot ideas and style would mimic the current book I was reading. When I started a new book the idea would leave me and a new one would form. My writing was not truly my own. Now, I have developed my own style. I have taken all the influences that have come through my life and created something that is me.

sara_that's_me!
Private E-1

Postby sara_that's_me! » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 pm

I am 20 and just recently finished my first completed manuscript. I have to say when I started writing it (15-16) as a side project I had no idea how much more I wanted to say, let alone all the plots. I took a few years off maybe writing a few pages here and there and then decided it was time to finish it. I am glad I took the time off because I had so much more to add to it and revise to it also. I mean this was suppose to be one book and now I am working on the sequel and ideas are building it into a trilogy. I am in love with the work I have created and the characters I feel grow with me.

sara_that's_me!
Private E-1

Postby sara_that's_me! » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 pm

I am 20 and just recently finished my first completed manuscript. I have to say when I started writing it (15-16) as a side project I had no idea how much more I wanted to say, let alone all the plots. I took a few years off maybe writing a few pages here and there and then decided it was time to finish it. I am glad I took the time off because I had so much more to add to it and revise to it also. I mean this was suppose to be one book and now I am working on the sequel and ideas are building it into a trilogy. I am in love with the work I have created and the characters I feel grow with me.

LindaLee
Private First Class

Postby LindaLee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:15 pm

The main differences between then and now- I have an education behind me. I understand that grammar and vocabulary are important to know AND understand. My imagination is just as vivid as ever, but now I can express it in ways that another person might be able to experience the moment as well. Big talk for someone who has made all of $120.00 for my writing in all my life...lol.

I also find it easier to write about broader topics than when I first started. Knowing the rules of language is a must, but having a life (whether real or vicariously led through reading) is about as important than pen and paper (or a PC).

LindaLee
Private First Class

Postby LindaLee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:15 pm

The main differences between then and now- I have an education behind me. I understand that grammar and vocabulary are important to know AND understand. My imagination is just as vivid as ever, but now I can express it in ways that another person might be able to experience the moment as well. Big talk for someone who has made all of $120.00 for my writing in all my life...lol.

I also find it easier to write about broader topics than when I first started. Knowing the rules of language is a must, but having a life (whether real or vicariously led through reading) is about as important than pen and paper (or a PC).

ecoll
Sergeant First Class

Postby ecoll » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 am

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question