[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Age : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Administrator1
Lieutenant

Postby Administrator1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:09 am

Administrator1
Lieutenant

Postby Administrator1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:09 am

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a
thought-provoking question related to the writing life. In the February
issue of WD, we encourage you to start writing no matter what your age, and ask: How has your writing changed through the years?

To be part of our monthly Conversation, e-mail your brief response
(up to 50 words) to writersdig@fwpubs.com with "Age" as the subject
line or post it here.

jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: Age

Postby jasipper » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:48 am

minou

Postby minou » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:48 pm

When I read what I wrote maybe 20 or so years ago, it was fueled with passion, exquisite detail and clarity. I think there was more raw emotion. After I hit middle age, the hormones that fueled my writing were gone. It doesn' t flow now; I have to fight for it.

bongobro
Private E-2

Postby bongobro » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:38 pm

bandcampgirl183

Postby bandcampgirl183 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:15 pm

I'm only 23, but I have always loved writing. It's weird, because when I was little, they would always say MORE details, write MORE, paint the picture as vividly as you see it. I'd like to believe that, in a sense, that's still true... that if you can describe an experience, and every detail is crisp and relevant, then you've done something good. I know rambling is bad, and I try hard not to do that. When I was in 1st grade, I would write about real events that had happened. In 2/3, I would make up stories that never got very far and were never very good quality. In 4th/5th/6th I wrote some stuff that's actually decent. But I REFUSED to write non-fiction... absolutely refused. Then I started writing it, bit by bit, in middle school/high school, and realized how fantastic it feels to write a paragraph describing something you went through, and then just smile becuase you know you CAPTURED it. That's what I can feel now as I go through, writing about being depressed and sick for years... I want to capture every moment, and everything that was said to me and how, and obvioulsy I don't remember it 100%, so that's why sometimes I get discouraged.
~rachel~

GreyLord

Postby GreyLord » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:23 am

With age comes maturity...most of the time. Looking back among several of my writings, I can see a growing change in almost all aspects of plot, characters and climax. The things which prompted me as a young man sometimes amuse me more now that I'm older.
For example: In middle school I wrote a short fantasy about several boys trapped in a dreamworld. Now as I am re-working it, I have to almost laugh at all the errors and grammatical blunders. The plot was, well there really was no plot, characters were all buddies from that part in time, and there was no thrilling factor in the writing at all. I can remember though back then when writing it, it was the next best thing to Piers Anthony.
I believe as the author grows so will his writing.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:23 am

I find that the fiction writing I did in college and the poetry I wrote in my twenties focused on wishing what could be ...  if only.  As I am approaching forty, my writing has evolved into making peace and the best out of "what is"

Erin_Jo

Postby Erin_Jo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:26 am

When I was a kid, I wrote because I was inspired by some of my favorite books and authors, and my style imitated theirs. It's especially obvious when I was reading L.M. Montgomery-- descriptions that take page after page, flowery language, girls who are all beautiful with long flowing hair-- not bad for a kid, but not exactly fun for anyone else to read! In high school I went through my "Poe" stage, where every story I wrote was depressing and scary and somewhat otherworldly. In college I didn't have time to write, except the occasional poem and vast quantities of school papers.

Now I write to tell my story, not the stories of other people. I have found a voice born of being married to a funny guy and having two toddlers, who both are able to get themselves into the most amazing circumstances. And because I am writing about something and *for* someone who is important and very real to me, my writing has become stronger. I write to tell my children what I want them to know: what they're like at this age, what I'm like, what I think about our world. As they grow so will my writing. But I hope I've learned that it's best to find a voice within myself, borne of my personal experiences, rather than looking outside myself at the voices others have found.

Linda Adams

Postby Linda Adams » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:14 pm

I started writing a book when I was eighteen. It was a psychological thriller called Remember No Evil. I had a skill weakness that made it difficult for me to get the story to work, and I spent many years trying to make the story work anyway. I probably should have given up on it many times over, but because ideas were few and far between (age-related also, I believe), I kept returning to it when I wasn't writing short stories. One day I realized that if I wanted to finish a novel, I had to set aside Remember No Evil. I started a new project and was able to finish it. I had promised myself at the start of the new project that I would consider returning to Remember No Evil, but at that point I realized why I'd never really been able to finish it over the years: I was no longer the same person who started writing it.

Next

Return to Conversation question