[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Why do cliches make me want to scream? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Why do cliches make me want to scream?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Fishgeek
Private E-1

Why do cliches make me want to scream?

Postby Fishgeek » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:37 am

For some reason in writing and the spoken word cliches make me want to scream. I honestly don't know why. Perhaps it was ingrained in me via an English high school teacher or college prof?

Being self employed I have the TV on in my work area to help with the boredom. Anyway, I heard once again the phrase, "It's not a matter of if but when." Perhaps there isn't a better way to say it but it makes me come unglued!

Anyone one else have an overused phrase that bothers them? If so what?

And no I'm far from a perfect writer but...

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Why do cliches make me want to scream?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:34 am

I have teh same reaction. Sometimes, with generic cliches, there really is no better way to say something, but most of the time, cliches are just poor writing.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 am

the mere use of cliches doesn't bother me to such an extent, but what does do that for me is when people who should know better [e.g., journalists/anchors/etc.] misuse cliches and even mis-word them! :roll:
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:35 am

I have one in particular I can't stand-- at the end of the day.... I cringe every time.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:47 pm

The one I can't stand is "It is what it is." It's a pretty recent entry into biz jargon but I believe it's already considered a cliché.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Cliché characters bother me more than cliché phrases do, but I admit I cringe when characters "turn on their heels."
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:24 pm

stranger09
Private E-1

Postby stranger09 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:38 pm

The world is a terrible place. Thats why. Also this answer is no cliché at all. ;)

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:18 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

stranger09
Private E-1

Postby stranger09 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:34 pm

I think the term James is looking for is "Phraseme", which basically is an idiomatic phrase.

Next

Return to Conversation question