[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
STEPHEN KING SAYS : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

STEPHEN KING SAYS

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
SonicTremor
Private E-1

Re: STEPHEN KING SAYS

Postby SonicTremor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:59 pm

The best piece of advice I got from "On Writing" was to keep your ass in the chair. Keep writing, no matter what, and resist the urge to go back and fix everything while you're writing. You're gonna be writing some stuff and thinking to yourself "this is all terrible," but just keep putting it down on the paper and resolve to come back later and fix it.

BEST. ADVICE. EVER.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:51 am

SonicTremor
Private E-1

Postby SonicTremor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:59 am

I'm probably going out on a limb by being so direct with someone who has posted as much as you have, Mr. Ritchie, when I'm such a new member, but I'm already compelled to be confrontational with you.

Have you ever considered that your posts tend to be mean-spirited and not helpful? Do you see yourself as curmudgeonly as you actually are?

This post is about advice. I shared my advice, something that works for me, and will probably work for a lot of other writers. Then here comes James Ritchie to be a contrarian. Your opinion is not the most important thing in the world, Doc, and I think you need to reconsider whether your advice here is actually helping anyone.

I've lasted two whole days in this forum and I've already been confronted by bossy rule followers, and subject to punitive comments by people who don't like it when others disagree. Real friendly place.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:43 am

Let's keep a level head folks. Advice and opinions are just that. What one person does is not necessarily right for another.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:26 am

How very true, Terry. Why the heat? Do what you feel is right for you and forget the other guy. If you find down the line that you may have been wrong, laugh it off and be thankful for the lesson. Words of wisdom from the 'old lady.' :lol:
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 am

We can relax and go back to our normal routines now. SonicTremor is gone.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:29 pm

The Rule of Three

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 pm

I think the spammers are just making us all crabby.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Previous

Return to Conversation question