[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I need help writing : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I need help writing

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Dexterleehall
Private E-1

I need help writing

Postby Dexterleehall » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:47 pm

I need help writing. I read thinking before you write. When I write I write whatever comes to mind and it wastes my time. Also, I want to relax when i write. Thaanks

pls
Site Admin

Re: I need help writing

Postby pls » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:35 am

You need much more self-discipline.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:30 am

ditto what paul said!

well developed self-discipline is one of the two most vital necessities for anyone who wants to establish a career as a writer... as much a requisite as having some degree of talent...

and it's something you must engender and employ within yourself, not something anyone can help you to 'get' or force upon you...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:36 am

I don't think self-discipline has anything to do with this. All the self-discipline in the world can make you do something you don't know how to do. Huge amounts of reading, writing, and study can. While these things may require self-discipline, or not, they're the help you need with writing. Really, raise your hand if self-discipline plays a large part in why you read and write and study.

I do these things because I love doing them. If I had to strap on self-discipline to get them done, I'd stop all three and go find something much more fun to do.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:59 pm

I'm not going to say that James is wrong, but I *do* disagree with him.

Writing can be learned. Some can learn better than others. Some may fail. It can still be learned. And that takes the discipline to undertake the learning.

Writing a story isn't a stream-of-consciousness activity. Converting all our random thoughts and jumbled inspirations into a cohesive, flowing plot, that, too, takes discipline. Even for those (of you) that have talent.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Dexterleehall
Private E-1

Postby Dexterleehall » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 am

Well, I don't know what to read. I haven't found anything that interests me. I read things online. I don't have the patience to read a book. I don't want to force myself to write, I want to enjoy it. I want it to be fun.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:39 am

Dexterleehall
Private E-1

Postby Dexterleehall » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:59 am

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:19 am