HOW MANY DO YOU REMEMBER?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

HOW MANY DO YOU REMEMBER?

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:29 am

I've been around here for about seven years. Back then one of the forumites (kEGWAI) wrote delightful happenings in the Pernicious Forest where creatures romped and lumberjacks hopped around on pogo sticks. That year my HSE story was for Kingac and it included all of the following names. I wonder how many of you remember some of these beloved writers who no longer romp in the Pernicious Forest? The following is a portion of the story I wrote:

Sometimes being the manager of a retail store has its merits. I lucked out when the card salesman got me this pogo jumping kangaroo wrapping paper. It’s perfect for the forest forumite creatures.

He tried not to miss anyone, extra heavy pink marking pens for Traci, a big picture of Josh Grobin (signed no less) for DebE, a new bobble head for Plabius, a gift certificate for hot buffalo wings for Camper, (by the way where is Camper, he must be camping out again.), a bottle of Southern Comfort for Pat Pechon, a signed copy of the latest Harry Potter book, (that took some doing) for Britnee, a new chartreuse fishing lure for Mcedave, a gift certificate for a grilled cheeseburger and Margarita for Wild Strawberries (haven’t seen her in a bit, she must be hanging out in those Wisconsin woods lately), for Hypnic Jerk his famous Portuguese pork sausage (which really took some doing), for JohnOBX a shiny new detective badge tied to a bottle of Black Russian libation--- homemade no less!, for Oldtimer a gift certificate to the first moon shuttle from earth (hello? Earth to Moon are you smiling?), for Donroger a gift certificate to a champion bird dogging school, for Capitalist Pig a vegetarian recipe book, for Lillies Carol season tickets to the Packer games or should I have gotten one for the Jets, gees Favre what a nerd, for Cindy Adams the latest I CAN DO ANYTHING book, and for the rest of the motley forum creatures miscellaneous gift certificates for the book HOW TO WRITE BETTER WRITERS’ DIGEST STORIES.

Wheww, what a job that was. However, I’m going to have the best wrapped presents to hand out at my party when I play Santa. So it was worth the effort.

DON'T YOU WONDER WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL OF THOSE WRITERS AND IF THEY EVER BECAME FAMOUS UNDER THEIR REAL NAME? UMMM HOW I LOVED THOSE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN WE ROMPED THROUGH THE PERNICIOUS FOREST.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to Conversation question