[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Movies that made you want to go home and write. : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Re: Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:14 am

~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Sharon51
Private E-1

Postby Sharon51 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am

Sharon

cosivantutte
Private First Class

Postby cosivantutte » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:01 pm

First time I saw Two Towers (Lord of the Rings), I wanted to steal Fangorn Forest and stick it into my story. It was just so heavy and green and atmospheric and cool. I want the forest in my story to be that cool.

Most of the time, however, it's song lyrics that hit my go home and write button. The lyrics for the World Anthem (based on the theme from East of Eden) makes me want to steal those lyrics and turn them into a story. I especially love this whole verse:

I have stumbled through the night.
Alone as anyone can be.
Then found a valley full of stars
And in my heart I heard them telling me
I was home.

It's a story unwritten. Beautiful and magical.

Vaterstix
Private E-1

Postby Vaterstix » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:33 pm

I've absolutely had several movies inspire me to write. Fantasy movies like The Lord of the Rings and Narnia are easy picks but there are movies that surprise me like Inception, The Way Way Back and Coriolanus to name a few. It's usually triggered by something character driven.

DarkHorse
Private E-1

Postby DarkHorse » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:13 pm

OK there had to be one 'weirdo' pop up and here I am!

One of my favourite movies of all time, and one that was based on a short story by Daphne Du Maurier, is Don't Look Now with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie.

The plot itself was good but the motifs and atmosphere woven into the film gave it such depth. I have always thought that to be able to write in a way that not only served up a good, well paced story, but to do it with such texture would be a real achievement. If you have never seen it, please find a copy. Plus, it's set in Venice, so who could resist?

Dark Horse x
www,horseanddogblog.co.uk

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Lynn

Working on my first novel.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi Lynn,

If you enjoyed Harry Potter, I'm sure you'll enjoy The Spiderwick Chronicles. I hope you get the chance to watch it before your Netflix account expires.

I like the point you brought up about what it is about a movie that makes us want to rush to our desks and write. I can also see how the story you then write might mimic the movie.

Personally, it's not anything tangible about a movie that makes me want to write. It has everything to do with the overall tone of the movie. The Spiderwick Chronicles made me feel like a kid again. It drew me in and I became part of the movie. Suddenly, everything was possible, just like I knew it was when I was that age. I felt free and only limited by my imagination and creativity. I suspended my disbelief with reckless abandon. Again, I was part of the movie. That's what I want to capture in my novels. The inspiration I received from The Spiderwick Chronicles won't result in a story that mimics it. It's how the movie made me feel that I'm wanting to capture.

Aside from being ridiculously corny (me, not the movie), My favorite thing about reading is being transported to another world with characters I love. That's what makes me want to write novels. To be able to do that for someone else, through a story I wrote, is real magic.

Below is a picture of my oldest possession. I enjoy living very simply and not owning much, so it's not nearly as old as mementos other people have, but this is mine. It's a bookmark from 1992.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:47 pm

I tried watching it today. Alas, Netflix wanted me to join the part where they deliver DVDs and that's above my pay grade. lol

We're switching from Netflix to Amazon, so I hope I can see it through Amazon Prime. But, instead I watched a movie that I just read the same book a couple of months ago. (I'm writing MG, so am catching up on all the MG I missed as a kid, because there was no MG back then. :lol: ) A Wrinkle in Time. I knew I shouldn't have watched the movie. Hollywood can't make fantasy elements like our minds can, plus they screwed around with the moral of the story. (What? Is it so impossible to believe stories can included Christian messages? Geesh! :roll: ) I'm very disappointed, since I just finished watching it about half an hour ago.

But, yes, you and I think alike. When I was young, most of the time I played the parts in the movie or book after finishing it. My friends and brothers would join me to get a wider cast of characters going, and then we'd switch who was who. (We also tended to skip the storyline, or take off where it was never meant to go.) That hasn't changed much now that I'm old and gray(ing.) I just don't run around to play the characters. Instead I write them, and they do the traveling and have the adventures I can't do.

So, who better than my stuffed animals to play the parts? Nothing is impossible for them, other than the obvious. They cannot climb steps as easily as people. They can't play baseball, because baseballs are often heavier than they are. But they do skateboard, do run along railroad tracks, and do play with boxes and sticks, like I used to do as a kid. They just do it bigger and better. And then, of course, that causes more problems, or it's not much of a story.

As for the bookmark - my philosophy entirely, right down to a bear reading a book. (Funny. I have a Christmas tree ornament of a mama bear reading to her two cubs. :D)
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Christopher Sly
Private E-1

Postby Christopher Sly » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 pm

The Dead Poet Society. Hard for me to to think about ever seeing it again. RIP.
"The word that can be spoken is not the true word." Lao Tzu

Bacchus Town Writer's Blog
Bacchus Town Twitter

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question