[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Movies that made you want to go home and write. : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Sharon51
Private E-1

Postby Sharon51 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:19 am

For a movie about a writer, I loved Romancing the Stone. It made me want to be a writer just like the mc.* For a movie that made me want to write, I'd choose Charlie St. Cloud because I would like to include the paranormal in my writing.

*EDIT: Actually, I wanted to be a writer before I saw that movie. I think it just excited me to see a movie about someone actually being a writer.
Sharon

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:47 pm

I watched a movie on Netflix yesterday that made me laugh. It's "Authors Anonymous," rated a well deserved two-and-a-half stars (are those dashes grammatically correct?). As a movie, it was kind of lame, but I got a kick out of the writer's group character dynamics.

This movie made me want to stop writing. Or, at least stop talking about it. :)
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Sharon51
Private E-1

Postby Sharon51 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Sharon

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:01 pm

I loved Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile. I also really liked Stranger than Fiction. There was also something in that movie that really stuck with me. Kind of like what Toy Story did to me in regards to toys. Good thing that movie didn't come out when I was a kid. I love anything by Pixar. A bunch of great storytelling.

I haven't seen Saving Mr. Banks yet but I really want to.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:44 pm

I'm very, very fussy about movies. I'm not easily pleased. When Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn died, so did Hollywood. They don't make 'em like they did in the 40's and 50's. We paid for those two glorious decades by enduring the horrible and visibly atrocious movies from the 60's and 70's.

As for movies about writers, I only liked a handful of them: Under the Tuscan Sun, Finding Forrester, Shadows in the Sun, Ghost Writer, Martian Child, Time Changer, Christmas in Connecticut, Breakfast as Tiffany's, and a fun little short called The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. Wonder Boys was okay. I'm just not a fan of Michael Douglas. If Romancing the Stone had starred anyone else but Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner, I would have liked it. There are certain actors and actresses that I just can't stomach and the list grows with each new set that enters Hollywood. That's okay though because the ones I find that I enjoy, I thoroughly enjoy. (Freddie Highmore is absolutely remarkable.)

Then again, I've not met anyone else with the same taste in movies that I have. (Or music for that matter.) I'm used to being a lone wolf in these areas.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:53 pm

~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:23 pm

Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question