[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do you have to show the reaction? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do you have to show the reaction?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Do you have to show the reaction?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:11 am

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:02 pm

IMO, grief is a very personal thing. Not everyone reacts the same way, some may wail at the top of their lungs, while others withdraw into themselves. What if her reaction was not to react? Just grab her purse to do what she has to, then grieves privately at a later time?

On a personal note, people typically think I am a strong person, which I am...to a point. When I witnessed my father have a TIA last Labor Day, I broke down and couldn't even drive myself to the hospital. My middle sister, who in all honesty has the least "backbone" of the four of us present, is the one who stepped up and took charge. People don't react stereo-typically. I think I'd show it, but do it in a way the reader wouldn't expect.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:55 am

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm going to blatantly ignore some of the people talk, and think strictly about the story.

The author knows the character more than anyone else, no matter what we might think of that character as readers. So the author knows best how that character will react to the news.

So... the question, as I read it, is should the author actually show that response?

The answer is yes. And no.

See, the story sets this, not some "rule" spoken by other writers. And the the story should tell you the "proper" way to tell this. If you tell this directly, you can have a dramatic moment that shows how much the deceased meant to the woman (or didn't). But not showing, doing a scene break and coming back only as the police car pulls up to the morgue, and the woman has tear tracks on her face, that could be mourning, sadness, anger, happiness, even some combination. And the story can proceed accordingly.

There isn't a right answer here. Just the answer that the story demands.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Mike1950
Private E-1

Postby Mike1950 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:53 pm

null
Last edited by Mike1950 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Since I write suspense, I end a lot of my chapters on what could be considered a cliffhanger. I then dive right into the reaction on the next chapter. All of my chapters have the name of the POV character in the first sentence. If there's a cliffhanger in the preceding chapter, then I don't go into exposition. I only start a chapter with some exposition if I've changed POV.

Previous

Return to Conversation question