[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Does anyone know of a good book? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Does anyone know of a good book?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Does anyone know of a good book?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:46 am

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:04 pm

Hmm... Well, 20 is YA.

Either way, I don't really read "living at home, day-to-day, real life" books. (To me, that is boring, which is why asking for a non-boring book is a little hard to answer).

An adult Sci-Fi would be JURASSIC PARK--a fantastic college read. You aren't going to find normal life in this book--it's more tense, intelligent, and full of science and theory (as the author tends to do for better or worse).

A life drama would be PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER; it's YA, so not "adult," but it is a great read--one of my favorites.

If you're interested in suspense, SAVING MAX is a good story about a lawyer mother who has to save his son from a murder charge, both trying to convince the world, and the reader, that her son really wasn't the murder.

Any Grisham book is "real life," but again, more about law than normal life.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:05 pm

@Crono,

Okay thanks!

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Lynn

Working on my first novel.

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Mike1950
Private E-1

Postby Mike1950 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:22 pm

null
Last edited by Mike1950 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:55 pm

OP, have you read anything by Joyce Carol Oates? She's one of my favorite authors, and her novels and short stories cover a wide variety of topics. I just read her YA novel "After the Wreck, I picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings, and Flew Away", and it was very good. She sometimes writes about very dark subjects, but I think she's a fantastic writer.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 pm

cchooks605
Private E-1

Postby cchooks605 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Here is a synopsis for a book I highly recommend - The Shadow of The Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon:

Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out The Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax.

But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from The Shadow of the Wind, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question