[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Does anyone know of a good book? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Does anyone know of a good book?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Does anyone know of a good book?

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:05 pm

I usually read a lot of teen books, sic-fi/ fantasy, does anyone know of a book they can refer? I don't like boring books ....I'm very picky.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Does anyone know of a good book?

Postby mammamaia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:51 am

are you asking for more teen books, or are you ready to graduate to the adult market?

since you like sci-fi, have you explored the works of the all-time greats?... if not, you should... here are my favorites:

poul anderson
isaac asimov
ben bova
ray bradbury
robert heinlein
jerry pournelle
jules verne
kurt vonnegut
h. g. wells
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:50 pm

We could probably help you more if you'd name some books that you liked. Boring is subjective. Here's a few more authors you might want to check out though.

Ursula K. Le Guin
Patricia A. McKillip
Robin Hobb
Mary Shelley (Frankenstein)
Octavia Butler
Suzanna Clarke
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Jo Walton
Andre Norton
Anne McCaffrey
Elizabeth Moon

Just to name a few. ;)
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Hey everyone,

I hope your fourth of July weekend was great. I mean coming out of the teen books and into something worth reading.
I don't want to get into the street/urban literature because it contains a lot of sex, money, and drugs situations. I
would like to read something on a college level, but something for young adults. I really think that after reading
Lisa McMann, Elizabeth Chandler, Susan Collins, etc. I'm all out of the teenage phase. I am 20 years old, and looking
for a good read that is based around situations/events that happens in real life. Maybe a good fiction adult book, something
that focuses on the realistic with great themes (faith, chasing dreams, memoirs, struggle, etc). These are things that I CAN
relate too.

surefirecharming
Private E-1

Postby surefirecharming » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:39 pm

If you're looking for something realistic, maybe try Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. It's a memoir and it's fantastic.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:25 am

google for the '100 best novels of all time' and start working your way through it, if you want to see what lasts...

at 20, you should be leaving the YA stuff behind and practicing being an adult... ;)
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:20 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Well that's why I'm looking for a good read for adults in their early twenties ...

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 am

Next

Return to Conversation question