[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Tell Me the truth about your writing desires : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Tell Me the truth about your writing desires

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
onceuponwednesday
Major

Re: Tell Me the truth about your writing desires

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:06 pm

It's strange that in a thread that started off with screams of SELF we end up with posts about what it means to be selfless and selfish.

Stranger still that I agree with Crono, the deeper I look into my own motivations the more I understand they're rooted in selfishness/ego/fear. Even love, charity and pride. That's just my observations of course.

I don't have any issue with that. Vice and Virtues switch around so easily. Without laziness we wouldn't have copy and paste, printing presses or cat flaps. Hope probably cripples as many lives as lust. Greed is good -- sometimes.

The issue has never been what we feel, it's what we do about it and it's empathy (that selfish action which helps us understand other people so we're more likely to survive) that helps us work out how to live the best we can without harming other people.
The Rule of Three

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:26 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:47 pm

The Rule of Three

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

missybunnie
Private E-2

Postby missybunnie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:13 pm

I have 2 big reasons for writing outside of money.
1) I suffer from depression and writing was my way to deal. For years I wrote terrible work about women who would go through worse than me and come out in the end happy and stronger. It gave me hope. It helped me keep going in life.

2) I have a very sick and twisted subconscious. I have dreams about characters. The dreams continue until I get them out on the page. I usually don't dream about the warm and fuzzy moments of the story. The ones that are warm and fuzzy tend to leave me feeling a little worn out in the morning.
I <3 Developers:
For readers:
For anyone who likes me or twitter:

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:44 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:57 pm

onceuponwednesday