[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Tell Me the truth about your writing desires : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Tell Me the truth about your writing desires

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Re: Tell Me the truth about your writing desires

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:41 am

@storm walker,

Sarcasm will bring you a long way, huh? =) LOL but I now understand what you were saying. I can agree with you
about the part where you mention how sometimes people with passion, they sometimes fallout when it isn't
there anymore. That is true!

Bradley Steven
Private E-1

Postby Bradley Steven » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:06 am

At first, the reason I started writing was because I had taken a literature class, post deployment to Afghanistan, as part of a core requirement for a degree. I realized the writing presented wasn't all that remarkable in the sense that it didn't seem to require any skills learned in years of schooling. I'm not saying that it wasn't good writing, just that it didn't seem all that difficult or technical, so I decided to start writing. I had always thought that since I had never any interest in English classes(stopped paying attention to them in junior high), or literature(I've read less than ten books in my lifetime), that I didn't have a "knack" for it. The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien, was a book the teacher recommended to me in that literature class. I read it and realized that my experiences in Afghanistan could be told in such a way. I have a view of my service that connects to other parts of my life. It seemed that Obrien's book was only about stories within his service, not a deeper meaning, yet it was and is, still a god read. Could the way I view my service be as valuable to readers? The value I was thinking about isn't measured in sales, although I'm sure that needs to be addressed, but rather, the value to contribution of it.

I had looked for books about deployment before going to Afghanistan in 2009 and found that there were very few. Most of them were about some sniper, Seal, or general. The books I did find about everyday soldiers and their personal struggles were all from WWII or Viet Nam. There have been more than ten years of recent war. There are millions of veterans from those conflicts, yet no books about their personal stories. Once I got back I searched for books about Military PTSD only to find that they were all written by psychologists, not the soldiers suffering from it. This bothered me. I wondered whether it was because the subject matter was too dark emotionally, or veteran's stories were simply not written because veterans just didn't want to talk about it. They were done with the war and that was that.

I was diagnosed with PTSD and rated 100% disabled by the VA. I get a monthly pension. Because of my disability I can't hold a job so I've had time to think about it. I have ALOT of time to write about the stories that I've been telling for years. I have something that I feel needs to be said and a gap to fill in the military memoir genre. All I needed was a reason to start writing, but a reason in my life, not a knack for English studies or making a living.

My life experiences, military service, and exposure to literary works all just sort of came together at a time in my life that I have time and motivation. All of this compels me to write, so I do.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:47 am

Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:53 am

Well, I'd hate to rain on your parade, but any reason you can come up with, is selfish.

It's my passion.
I want to get it out of my system.
It's the one of few things that makes me truly happy (me).
It makes me money.
I want other people to read my stuff and like it.
I want other people to experience my world.

All of that is centered around you and your desires. I agree one with passion creates passionate work, and "often" (not always) those without passion and only in it for the money will create dry work.

But let's not kid ourselves. All of these are variables in our reason, and no one reason is reason enough. In fact, if you aren't in this business for the money, then you might as well self-publish. There are going to be times when you will have to think like a business man/woman. I'm a wallflower, so the idea of marketing my book doesn't sound appeasing, but if I want to be in this business, I'll have to do it. Also, there are writers where the agent suggests continuing the series--or they are contracted into the series. Many authors don't like spending years in one story--they want to go on to something else. But because of the important of money--and the importance of image/marketing and what readers want--you will have to do things outside of your passion.

In truth, no one reason is healthy or useful entirely on it's own. You need to harness all of these reasons.

But, as always, just my opinion.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:41 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:05 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 am

Totally disagree, Crono. Even if there is no such thing as a wholly "selfless" act, that doesn't mean all acts are "selfish".
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question