[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Tell Me the truth about your writing desires : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Tell Me the truth about your writing desires

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Tell Me the truth about your writing desires

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:24 pm

How's everyone doing? I hope fine, as I am feeling great and content; Maybe relaxed.

I was showering (TMI) and I thought of a great question. I know that the majority of us on here are writers and passionate readers.
So many people are becoming writers, but it doesn't to be for a legitimate reason (kind of like everyone wanting to be a rapper). I
honestly don't believe that writing is for everyone, because it's a God-given gift that the entire world do NOT possess. So be honest,
I want to have a little talk and just get to know many of you Crazy (in a good way) writers/authors. But first you should answer my
question:

"You could've been anything but you chose to write. Why? Where did your desire to write come from? What are your goals, when it comes to the publication/craft of your literature?"

(I'm not talking to the people who are just in it for the money, I would like to talk to those who have a reason.)

I'll try to brief my little summary of how I got here, and what I believe lead me this far. (And I appreciate those who took place in this discussion).

I, Kenyona R.C. Parlor, started out with a passion for singing, acting, and modeling. I didn't think much of writing until maybe when I was seventeen.
I come from a family full of talents and they refuse to share theirs, but I guess it's common for some people to not share the amazing gifts that they possess.
I could've been the actress, singer, and model for Disney Channel/Nickelodeon (yes I was presented the opportunity), but by time I figured out what meant the most
to me I had to decline that offer. I was sadden by it, but I didn't want to feel like I was taking the easy way out by signing a contract with an agent, and becoming
like a lot of the other stars you see ( taking it the easy way out). Now, I'm related to Dr. Jay (Julius Erving) but I'd rather not have my cousin help me get to the top
and not learn for myself. I even have an uncle who has written a few plays for Steven Spielberg, and He's been coaching me in this (but not feeding me the silver spoon).
I'm a very down-to-Earth type of person and I enjoy learning about others. I wanted to be a writer, because it was the most creative way to express yourself without having
to be blamed for anything.

My desire to write came from all of the events in my life that traumatized me. I could write about these things but feel free about the flaws I've pocketed around with me for quite some time (8+ years) now. I could sit here and talk about everything that I've been through that you'd probably say, "No way! That only happens in movies." No, these things happen in real life, also (I'll talk about that in another post). Writing during the time (and even now) saved my life for my own sake. I didn't think about money but about my health and survival (depression, once suicidal, etc.) Writing became my love and I devoted many hours throughout the days/night just spilling my heart out. You'd think I was like the female version of Allen Poe.

I think sat down alone and thought about a lot of the stuff I've been through, and still am going through. My goal then was to change people's lives through my craft/literature.
This is the only thing I wanted, because I knew that there were other people out there suffering just as I was, or still might be. So much of my emotional and spiritual support
hasn't come from family and friends, but from writing (that's why I love it). And to be honest my number one fear is failure, but recently something else has topped that. I'm
afraid to fall out of love with writing (if I ever do). So many people look up to me as if I'm a super-hero, but it's my turn to look up to the readers, because sometimes it takes a lot of courage to pick up a book, and read about a similar situation to what you've just been through. The benefit of it is that you end up with a great lesson after the fall! So now I want to know about YOU!

Sincerely,
Kenyona P.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Tell Me the truth about your writing desires

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:02 pm

Money isn't a reason? Wonder why publishing companies have stayed in business for so long...
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 pm

@shadowwalker,

Is there a point in your response? Comment removed. Consider this a warning. MOD-Terry:)

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Cut the name calling crap, The_Mad_Ink3r. If you don't want to get paid, more power to you. I want to make a career out of this.

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:29 am

@shadow walker, I honestly thought your feedback was very sarcastic (as if you were trying to be a smart-ass), but it could've be a misunderstanding. What the post is saying is that, we all want to make money (which is fine), but when you have the people who DON'T care or AREN'T as passionate in writing as we are, they only get into it for money.
Some people write, because it's a form of therapy, a hobby, a habit (whichever you may call it). But then you have those who say and think, "Hmmm ....well this retail job isn't working anymore so let me just jump to something else that will make quicker sales (and not have a clue as to how to write, or a passion for it). It's different when you're actually passionate about it, and making money from a sincere career/dream that you have. Do you get what I'm saying? For example, so many people want to become infamous rappers making millions (it's possible) but wouldn't you have to have a passion for it? Instead of thinking that it's as easy as 1,2,3, I would think so. It's a simple way of me saying no one can be the next Jay Z or Beyonce, or the next Susan Collins or Steven Spielberg, because we are all our own originals. So instead of thinking that we are all born to be writers, few of us may possess different talents. But instead of us taking 1-2 to master or research and what we "love" to do, many of us just jump into something and immediately think it's for us. So what made you start writing? Were you in it only for the money? Or is it a passion/dream of yours to become a great writer and make money off of your craft? I mean in all seriousness, why'd you start writing?

P.S. I do apologize for the mean comment =)

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:34 am

@ MookyMcd

The same question I asked @shadow walker applies to you, also. I mean telling me that you just want to make a career out of writing, doesn't really tell me a lot. Where did your passion come from? Or is it just something you decided to do one day wake up and do, because money was a motive? This is all conversational (don't get offensive). If it's too much to answer there are post from other people that you may enjoy answering, better than what I asked.

Enjoy your day!

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:35 am

I suspect many of us have some sort of Phoenix from the Ashes story that we think everyone wants to read. The cathartic book that we have to get out of our system. I also suspect that, unless you're someone famous, those are the books that end up self-published.

Once you get that one out of your system, then it's time to get to work. Being a writer isn't just about telling great stories, it's a gift, sure, but it's also a craft that can be learned and must be learned well.

So, here's the truth about my writing desires. I love to tell stories, I love to study literature, grammar, poetry. I love words. I also want to write stuff that people will pay money for. I want to be the next Stephen King, or Janet Evanovich, or...do I dare dream? The next J.K.Rowling. There's really no altruistic intent behind my writing. It's pure entertainment that will, if I'm lucky, affect readers in a way that makes them want more.

I want to pay for my kids' college expenses and a comfortable retirement, and I want to earn that doing something I love.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:05 am

@ Cindy,

I enjoyed your post and it was sincere and real. I can agree with you on the majority of your post.
I hope you and your writing successes are plenty =). Have you written anything yet?

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:11 am

If my post is meant to be sarcastic, there will be no mistaking it. I found your immediate dismissal of those people who write for money (and stating that it was not a 'reason') to be condescending and presumptuous. Personally, I find the idea of needing "passion" to be overblown and have seen more than one writer drop out when the passion fizzles and the sweat starts. Many a fine (and successful) writer has begun for one reason - to earn money.

Next

Return to Conversation question