[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Help with long genre list : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Help with long genre list

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
MookyMcD
Captain

Help with long genre list

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:52 am

updog
General of the Army

Re: Help with long genre list

Postby updog » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:35 am

I just saw a book described as a "post-apocalyptic" novel. Is that a genre? Maybe it just goes under science fiction or fantasy--I don't know. That's why I'm asking. ;)
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:24 am

That was one that raised some really interesting issues when I was researching. It's a setting, more than a genre, which is why I ultimately chose not to include it, but has been treated as a genre at various times (surprisingly more so in the prior two centuries). The real problem is comparing a P.A. satire with, like, The Road, or something. One of the categories that really captivated me was "Robinsonade," named for Robinson Crusoe -- a type of survivalist fiction that most post-apocalyptic books fall into. On one of the lists that included P.A. as a genre, it was actually listed as a subgenre under Robinsonade.

Your question makes an excellent point, though. I'm beginning to think that I need to do a follow-up post explaining some of my thinking on what to include on and exclude from that list.

Thanks!

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:16 pm

What about suspense?

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:22 pm

That's an interesting question. I'd love some feedback -- is suspense a genre or an aspect of mystery or thriller or historical or whatever? That's a good point.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:36 pm

I guess it depends on what you call a genre. Some of those are markets, not genres (black, LGBTQ-).
Duotrope lists these genres (or nongenre, in the case of "general"):
general
action adventure
erotica
fantasy
horror
mystery/crime
romance
science fiction
suspense/thriller
Western

They list subgenres within genres. There are 16 within fantasy alone.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:39 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:18 am

That's an impressive list!

Being no expert, I'd agree with DrG2 (I botched that name; the grayish-bearded forum member who posted a couple entries up) that genres would be the smaller, but markets the much longer list.

Keeping to your list, though, my bent would be to include Post-Apocalyptic and Suspense as separate entries.

Nice work. :)
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks for the input. I'll be going back to either amend the list or broaden the discussion on these.

Return to Conversation question