[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How long does immortality last? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How long does immortality last?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

How long does immortality last?

Postby DrG2 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:17 pm

I think we all dream that something we create will live on, long after we die.

I wonder how commonly that happens.

I went to a couple of large bookstores in my town (regional chains) to look for something by Flannery O'Connor. One bookstore had nothing by her, and the other had a compilation of all of her short stories.

She's not only one of the greatest writers of the middle of the 20th Century, but she's iconic. If her work doesn't live on . . . how much chance do we have?

updog
General of the Army

Re: How long does immortality last?

Postby updog » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Her books are still readily available. The bookstore could have probably ordered them for you.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:32 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:17 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:35 pm

If they disappear, they weren't all that great, except perhaps in the minds of a few literati. Flannery O'Connor is still very widely read. Brick and mortar bookstores are no longer the mark of how popular a deceased writer is. Check Amazon. Check university libraries, and university writing courses. If sales are good at all three, they have nothing to worry about.

Quite frankly, however, Stephen King and J. K. Rowling, stand a much better chance of still being popular a hundred years from now than does Flannery O'Connor. The literati keep many books and writers on life support, but it's general readers who keep books and writers alive and vibrant. This means most of us stand a much better chance of semi-immortality than Flannery O'Connor.

DreydenLXXX
Private E-1

Postby DreydenLXXX » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:32 am

"...the world is senseless. Evil is its only permanence. God is not alive. Love cannot be trusted. Surface, surface, surface was all that anyone found meaning in. this was civilization as I saw it, colossal and jagged." -Patrick Bateman

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:32 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:53 pm

I can't see how immortality will matter much to me once I'm dead. I won't even care if nobody comes to my funeral. :P
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:42 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question