[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Don't Write, if you can avoid it. : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Don't Write, if you can avoid it.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Don't Write, if you can avoid it.

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:29 pm

K.M. Weiland suggests: My first line of advice is always: "If you can NOT write, then don't." It's a great life, but only if you love it.

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Re: Don't Write, if you can avoid it.

Postby Elibet1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:39 am

:roll: Well, everyone is free to make suggestions. :mrgreen:

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:03 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:24 am

Every field is competitive if you want success. I don't care what it is. To be in the top of that field is even more competitive. You never ever, ever, ever, give the advice to quit or do something else. When you do, you are essentially speaking into a mirror. My advice, throw the mirror away.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:50 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:54 am

a great big 'amen' to all of that, james!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:58 pm

James - you may be right in your analysis in a general sense. But there are way too many success stories in the world where people were advised to quit, take up a different professions, etc.., and they stuck it out, followed their dream and became successful at something. When I say success, it isn't always about having tons of money. It's too easy to quit. The world is full of them. Don't count me as someone who will ever give up on anybody if they have the will, the passion and the focus to be good at something. I've experienced it and I've shown others that nearly everything is surmountable if you truly want it. My belief system. It may not be everyone's way of thinking and maybe I'm not as pragmatic about things as others, it's just my way of looking at the world... good, bad or indifferent.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:19 pm

we have a great writing prompt, campers: Write a story about someone struggling with the decision to continue or not. It can be about a relationship, job, suicide or any behavior.

Mike1950
Private E-1

Postby Mike1950 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

null
Last edited by Mike1950 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Conversation question