[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Can we all admit that novels in present tense were a fad? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Can we all admit that novels in present tense were a fad?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Can we all admit that novels in present tense were a fad?

Postby DrG2 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:49 am

and just move on?

it's a lot easier to write clunky descriptions, and sometimes even action, in present tense.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Can we all admit that novels in present tense were a fad

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri May 30, 2014 11:54 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri May 30, 2014 12:21 pm

James, you speak so highly and so often of The Talisman, you've convinced me to read it. Hope it's as good as you say. ;)

I think present tense often feels clunky and unnatural too, and it's very popular in YA, which is what I write, so I end up reading quite a bit of it. To me the problem is that some writers don't know how to do present without using "I did this" and "I did that" over and over. It drives me bonkers. The other problem is in the transitions or sequencing of events. Even little things like "Tonight I go to the bridge" just sound unnatural to me. Why would you say "tonight" I go? If it is happening right now, I'd either say "I'm going to" or "I'm at the bridge", not "tonight I go". And when they list two or more things that they're doing, it sounds weird to me when they use "then". Again, if it's happening in the moment, it's happening now, not then. It's all very confusing and I think that's why it often reads funny.

Having said that, there have been two stories I've struggled with that worked much better when I switched to present. I think the problem is that people jump on trends, and write in present tense not because it feels natural to them, but because that's what the popular people do. :roll:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri May 30, 2014 12:28 pm

'admit'?... as in you're assuming we all have written that way and now concede it was a fad?

or did you mean 'agree'?... as in we all just think they were a fad?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri May 30, 2014 1:10 pm

It's just like every other aspect of writing. It's never been absent, but is having a period of heightened popularity. Has the current wave of popularity crested? I don't know. I don't really care, either. But assuming it has, there will still be some novels written in present tense one, ten, and a hundred years from now. Some good and some bad. And that will ebb and flow like books about vampires or books set in dystopian futures and everything else.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri May 30, 2014 1:44 pm

My MC's scream at me every time I try to convert to past tense. I hope it's the only one I do, but this one demands it.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri May 30, 2014 2:48 pm

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri May 30, 2014 3:28 pm

I find present tense pretty unnatural. Past tense sounds more natural because it's part of the normal storytelling method -- like telling someone what you did today.

I don't like to read it either -- unless they do such a good job that you don't even notice it -- which is hard to do successfully.

So I have no clue why I've written almost three books of the stuff. Must be a fad.
The Rule of Three

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri May 30, 2014 7:06 pm

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 pm

I certainly didn't aim for it. I wrote the first four pages three times. Each time, I started in past tense, and was typing out present tense by the end of page two. Usually earlier than that.

I won't say that I'm good enough to pull it off. Instead, I just realize this work ain't getting finished any other way.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to Conversation question