[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Does this metaphor work? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Does this metaphor work?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
blaisem
Private E-1

Does this metaphor work?

Postby blaisem » Sat May 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Does this metaphor work?

Postby Oldtimer » Sat May 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Sorry, but it doesn't work for me. For one thing, I can't imagine a scene where the air would 'snap'. It can become tense, fraught, electrifying, fresh, stale, ... etc., etc.

Blood becoming spoiled milk? Hum. It would work better the other way round. IMO.

I think you had better listen to that lovely girlfriend. :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:47 pm

I think it works for me. I get the visual of "chunky" spoiled milk. You might want to try some rewording of the idea, though.

It depends on the broader context of whether it works in the story.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat May 17, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm with Oldtimer and the girlfriend. Doesn't work for me at all. I think you're trying to play with the old "blood curdling scream" cliche, but curdling blood "to" spoiled milk makes no sense. In the cliche, blood is curdling the way milk does, but isn't actually turning into curdled milk. :? Also, "inhumane" doesn't sound like the right word to me. Do you mean "inhuman"?
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:14 pm

the thing that works for me is the visual. "blood curdling" is a cliche, but when he relates it to curdled milk, it goes back to the roots of the term. It could be reworded, but I love the idea.

and I think I've posted here that 95% of the figurative language I read doesn't fly with me. ironic that I'm the defender here.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sat May 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Do you mean inhuman instead of inhumane?

The mixture of metaphors isn't working for me. Snapped the air makes me think of something crisp and clear. Curdled is wet and clogged, spoiled milk makes me think of a smell more than a texture. So it's a jumble of sensations, only one of which I think you intend, and some of which contradict it. Just my opinion, though.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat May 17, 2014 7:35 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun May 18, 2014 11:01 am

I think you mean "Inhuman", too, and I also think "snapped" sounds more like cold than anything else. I also think it would work better as a simile than as a metaphor. I'm not even sure how I would rewrite it.

If I were going to use it, I think I'd write something like, "An inhuman roar shattered the silence and curdled blood like spoiled milk".

Maybe it's my lack of imagination, but I'm having trouble writing it in a way that doesn't come across as a cliche.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun May 18, 2014 1:19 pm

sorry, but it doesn't work, for all the reasons noted above...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun May 18, 2014 7:02 pm

I will say that you can sometimes make a pure cliche work, if you do so with a bit of humor, and acknowledge that it is a cliche, and you know it. To use your original wording, with the exception of "inhumane:

An inhuman roar snapped the air and curdled blood to spoiled milk. Well, okay, the air didn't actually snap, my blood didn't curdle, and I'm pretty sure no one's blood turned into spoiled milk, but that was one bitch of a roar, and I kid you not. If it didn't curdle blood, or turn it into spoiled milk, it certainly made me tighten some muscles I don't usually have to tighten in such a hurry.

Return to Conversation question