[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Passing the Bechdel Test for the sake of it. : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Passing the Bechdel Test for the sake of it.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: Passing the Bechdel Test for the sake of it.

Postby LMGilbert » Tue May 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Alison Bechdel is a wonderful cartoonist and graphic novelist. Her biographical graphic novels that explore her relationships with her dad "Fun Home" and her mom "Are You My Mother?" are incredibly fine examples of her work. I think the Bechdel Test is best used as a way for people with brains to "talk back to" or take a critical, questioning look at what's being spooned out to us in popular culture, particularly movies; not so much a guide or formula for writers to to try to avoid being seen as gender-biased. If you got gender-bias it's going to seep out somewhere, like my husband expressing his opinion about "Catching Fire:" "I don't think I can read this, it's too girly. All this talk about dresses." I had a lot of fun grilling him over that one. "What do you mean by girly? That's not a critical opinion, that's just knee-jerk sexism. You don't hear me whining about the constant bombardment by male imagery, male preferences,blah blah blah." I'm a kind of Bechdel Test for him every time he lets something like that out of his mouth.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue May 06, 2014 4:29 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

That's a pretty good rundown on the Bechdel test.

Is it still sexist when my ten-year-old daughter had the same complaint? :lol:

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue May 06, 2014 11:03 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Wed May 07, 2014 12:08 am

I generally agree with what you're saying, but I don't think it's sexist in that case. I'm reasonably certain she'd have precisely the same complaint if the author had been describing men's attire or scenery or anything else. If you dislike a particular aspect of writing, it's sexist not to legitimize the complaint because the objectively reasonable and nongendered complaint involves, in that particular instance, to something relating to females.

It's easier to just read Tolkien, where you still have long descriptions but don't have to worry about much of anything relating to females. :twisted:

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed May 07, 2014 10:33 am

I don't really think your daughter's sexist, Mooky. I was jus' bein' a turd. :mrgreen:

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Previous

Return to Conversation question