[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Has in-person conversation been replaced by text talk? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Has in-person conversation been replaced by text talk?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
nhope
Lieutenant

Has in-person conversation been replaced by text talk?

Postby nhope » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:42 am

Not sure if it was just the day I had yesterday, but it seems that conversations aren't what they used to be. People, and I'm refering to 'at work' here, don't want to discuss things. They want to ask a question and have you get to the correct response without the process of thought or consequence, just get to it so they can get to the next thing. I noticed it in a convo I was having then having wondered after - is it me? Today, it seems the same. No one has time to think, just to react. And this is management level.

Is conversation, and further the act of thought itself, being replaced by text talk? Even email seems possessed - thank u! yw! ttyl! --- What is happening here?

MookyMcD
Captain

Re: Has in-person conversation been replaced by text talk?

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:50 am

Preach truth, sister. Also --am I the only one who finds it bizarre that we invented the telephone so we could talk to each other directly, and in real time, and then somebody had the bright idea to use technology to turn a telephone back into a typewriter?

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:05 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Maybe it's because I hate texting and will never text anything again, but I spend a lot of time in normal conversations. I've found that most people still love to talk, if given the chance.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:43 pm

You actually want to interact with real people? Ugh... :lol:

No lie, my boss is in the office next to me. He doesn't pick up the phone anymore. He IMs me.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm

while i deal with people all day every day by email, i will NEVER resort to texting on a phone... i prefer to deal with phoning audially, if a call can't be avoided...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

dantefrizzoli
Private E-1

Postby dantefrizzoli » Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Hmm.

Well, texting clearly has significant benefits. The ability to send messages at one's leisure, receive snap responses, carry on communication with multiple people...also, the ability to "pause" a conversation at your convenience.

That said, a phone call is oftentimes a far more efficient method of communicating with a single person, as a 60 second phone call can contain a ton more information than a 60 second texting spree.

I would say that texting has is unique advantages which are appropriate for some situations, though it tends to be overused and employed when voice talk may be more efficient.
Dante - Aspiring Novelist. |

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri May 09, 2014 6:44 pm

I hate phones. I like texting but I'm not attached to texting like some people. I don't use internet on it so I'm not internet connected everywhere I go. I text my kids because that's a must. Many times they don't answer the phone when I call but will magically text me right back. I love that I have a connection to my kids and can know where they are. Unlike when I was a kid. My kids aren't stuck waiting at the school for hours when a parent has forgotten to pick them up-That's happened! Then that kid got a cell phone. I have been able to mulit-text people reminders without having to make several calls so that's convenient. My kids have had to have texting at times. Coaches would text kids to tell them if there was a change in practice time. When my kids didn't have texting on their phones, they were out of the loop. Teens almost have to have it. But I haven't caved in to providing them or myself unlimited internet. I can't stand it when elementary aged kids have cell phones.

I also don't like how people check out completely with the world around them. I read a story about a shooting on subway several months ago. A man with a gun waved it around pointing it at several people before he ever shot anyone and no one noticed because they were so engrossed in their devices.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun May 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Return to Conversation question