[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Have Fun? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Have Fun?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
ridho1234
Private E-1

Have Fun?

Postby ridho1234 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:02 pm

I can't write to be happy.

It makes me work too long.

But, I also don't like dicipline.

Help me!!

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Have Fun?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:33 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:34 pm

ditto that!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

ece
Private E-1

Postby ece » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:19 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:22 pm

I think self=discipline can be important for writing when you're sick, or dead tired and sleepy, but other than this, I hate it when people say writers need discipline. Self-discipline should be reserved for doing those things you need to do, but do not enjoy. It's takes a lot of self-discipline for me to exercise five days per week because I don't enjoy it, and it takes time away from other things I'd rather be doing. It also takes a lot of self-discipline to stick to the low fat, low salt diet my doctor put me on.

It does not take any discipline to write because I love writing, and it's how I want to spend my time. Writing should take no more self-discipline than playing video games. If writing isn't something you love to do, something that's fun, something you can't wait to sit down and do, then you probably shouldn't try being a writer. Life has thousands of things to do. Find one you love, one that doesn't need any self-discipline to do. You'll be a lot happier.

ece
Private E-1

Postby ece » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:55 pm

OMG, James A Ritchie has such a good response. May be dating myself, but it was so Dear Abby - perfect.

Return to Conversation question