[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How do I make a good novel? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How do I make a good novel?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
ridho1234
Private E-1

How do I make a good novel?

Postby ridho1234 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 pm

I want to make a novel like Twilight.

Can you give advice?

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: How do I make a good novel?

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Just start writing. And while you're writing, read at least 100 novels in the genre you plan to write in and another 100 novels in all the other genres. Don't forget the classics.

fathoms77
Private E-1

Postby fathoms77 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Well, don't get discouraged but asking "how do I make a good novel" is sort of like asking, "how do I make a good painting?"

It's just impossible to answer because it really depends on your own strengths as a writer, which you may have yet to discover. :)

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 pm

A good novel or a novel like Twilight? You need to pick one.

Couldn't resist, despite the Trolly fingerprints all over this one.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:27 pm

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:44 pm

One. Word. At. A. Time.
Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:23 am

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:49 am

dictionary.com def of "novel":
a fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes.

Therefore, "Twilight" is a novel. But is it literature or is it a good story? It sold a ridiculous number of copies but I recently read that "50 Shades..." is the #1 best selling book in Britain, of all time. Of All Time. Wow. Probably not lit but must be quite the story.

So if you want to make a good novel, you have to define what you mean. Do you want to write literature or tell a good story? There are evidently markets out there for everything, you just have to make sure that how you organize the words you choose ensnare the reader to read them all. And then talk about it, and pass it on.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 am

McDonald's sells more food in an hour than Eric Ripert and Thomas Keller will sell in their lifetimes. That does not make McDonald's a purveyor of good food. Things can be commercially successful without being of high quality.

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

Next

Return to Conversation question